Why become a member? ×

Buckeye Burl Yann 5 strings NT + Yann bass handmade 100%

Bassmachine

Hi bassmates .i'm Stavros from Greece and i'm writing to show you my UNIQUE [b]Yann[/b] bass From a [b]Greek Luthier Yannis Dilveroglou (Yann)[/b]
Its a perfect bass in all the ways ....sound ,woods,design,finish.......The body is a 3 pieces teak wood 40 years old so its completely dry ,the fretboard its ebony with 24 frets and watch the detail on the end of the fretboard,the neck is wenge and maple 5 pieces,the truss road is handmade by Yann.The hardware is schaller and the electronics are Seymour Duncan P-J and the finish is NITRO.........the soynd of this bass is like piano as every note is so clear and without a dead spots...
I wish you could hear and play this marvellous bass.........
See here more creations of this luthier

http://www.myspace.com/yanndilver

Greetings from Greece and hope you will find this post really interested and don't hesitate to ask me anything......
Here is some photos from my Yann bass and you can find Yann in facebook with his name Yannis Dilveroglou and see more from his creations .......
Low ends dooms eternally...
Stavros

Edited by Bassmachine

[quote name='Bassmachine' timestamp='1340025002' post='1697771']
thanks my friend... its a really uniqye bass and its only one...... mine :rolleyes: he is an artist and its 100% handmade
[/quote]

It's nice having unique instruments :) I love my ACG

Beautiful looking bass, Stavros! Interesting use of the Ibanez Roadstar truss rod cover, good recycling :rolleyes:
Love the idea of the bass getting a trip to the beach for sunset.. we could have a whole new thread of Basses In Unusual Situations :)

[quote name='paulflan0151' timestamp='1340053715' post='1698464']
You should ask Yannis to start a thread in the Affiliates market place
[/quote]

Hi everyone,
i think Yannis has nothing to do at the "market place",since he's no brand but just a person without ANY bussiness!
Well,i'm the maker of this bass,and Stavros is a good friend of mine,that's the reason he owns the homemade Yannbass...

Yes,i am a luthier,but in fact an unemployed one lately....i always worked for other luthiers,and never made my own bizz
There are only 2 basses,3 guitars and a gr bouzouki with this name on them till today and that's it!(all owners of theese insts are close friends).

Therefor,i'd like you readers of this thread,not to misunderstand Stavros,he's not here to advertise me,
but to share his happiness (..and maybe "show" a little :biggrin: )!

The mistake Stavros did here,is he didn't let the readers know that such a bass is simply not available,
cause the maker has no brand and no legal bussiness,and does not work in "black",
in respect to other luthier-colleges with legal workshops who pay taxes and all other expences a selfemployed person has to pay
(Greece is much worst as you might know out there in the rest of the world...)!

Anyway,thanks for the nice critics and the humorous comments (my own humour is quite "British".. :tatice_01: ...)
Keep up the deep tones! :)

edit: That Ibanez Roadstar trusscover...i had it since Ibanez sold parts (80something) and i had a love with my Roadstar,
so ownering Ibanez,i just put it on my yannbass.....

Edited by yann

[quote name='yann' timestamp='1340223501' post='1701457']
Hi everyone,
i think Yannis has nothing to do at the "market place",since he's no brand but just a person without ANY bussiness!
Well,i'm the maker of this bass,and Stavros is a good friend of mine,that's the reason he owns the homemade Yannbass...

Yes,i am a luthier,but in fact an unemployed one lately....i always worked for other luthiers,and never made my own bizz
There are only 2 basses,3 guitars and a gr bouzouki with this name on them till today and that's it!(all owners of theese insts are close friends).

Therefor,i'd like you readers of this thread,not to misunderstand Stavros,he's not here to advertise me,
but to share his happiness (..and maybe "show" a little :biggrin: )!

The mistake Stavros did here,is he didn't let the readers know that such a bass is simply not available,
cause the maker has no brand and no legal bussiness,and does not work in "black",
in respect to other luthier-colleges with legal workshops who pay taxes and all other expences a selfemployed person has to pay
(Greece is much worst as you might know out there in the rest of the world...)!

Anyway,thanks for the nice critics and the humorous comments (my own humour is quite "British".. :tatice_01: ...)
Keep up the deep tones! :)

edit: That Ibanez Roadstar trusscover...i had it since Ibanez sold parts (80something) and i had a love with my Roadstar,
so ownering Ibanez,i just put it on my yannbass.....
[/quote]

Best of luck mate. I hope things get better where you are, it must be difficult at the moment. Keep building basses, you clearly do it very well.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1340439205' post='1704385']
Nice looking instrument Yanni and Stavros. I've never seen a bass made with teak. How would you describe it in comparison to better known woods?
[/quote]

Kiwi,hi and thanks! Nice question!

Teak is not known as tonewood,and can't really be,cause it's a very oily wood and takes a long time to mature (oils don't dry as the wood's natural (inner) humidity does,they need a much longer time).This might not be like the usual teakwood used on furniture,(it looks a little different) but some subspecies.
It's reaction to sound can be compared to some rosewoods-pallisanders,quite "tight" and not "muddy" at the lows,with clear mids and bright highs.

It was sold to me by a carpenter back in 1997 when i made the body as a replacement for a fivestringer i had at the time.Some wood was left from his daughter's marriage bed (!) he made 25 years ago....i tapped it then,and i found it old and good enough for what i needed.But when i got back to take the ready "blank" i saw it was more than the 2 pieces i asked for,and...with sapwood on it too...but too late to do anything for this blank,so i got and used it as it was...

Later on,i sold the 5stringer with the original body,and kept this one till 2007 when i made the neck but as a 4stringer.I kept the 5string cavity (just straighten the side angle),and made the neck wider to suit in there,with the fretboard narrower at the high frets in my personal 4string measurement!

-I should do something about the looks (vanish the sapwood somehow) so i chose this myrtle venneer for the front looks and kept the back as it was.
It was oiled and waxed as long it was mine,then sold to Stavros,and 2 months ago, we decided to clearcoat with nitro and got this result. It's not perfectly polished yet,will be repolished in some months,cause nitrocellulose needs up to six months to chemically dry and stop schrinking!
Still got things to do here.... ;)

Edited by yann

That the wood you used is very old probably counts for a lot. The stuff I've seen in Myanmar was VERY oily and, to be frank, didn't need finishing apart from sanding. But sounded dead to me and very heavy. Not the best tonewood from observation. Good to know that it needs so much drying time though.

Kiwi,yes,the reason i used this wood was that it sounded good to me when tapped/knocked it,and showed like oils were dryed,
so the carpenter (Master Michalis RIP,his daughter is a friend of my mothrer's so i could find out about the age of her bed!) didn't lie about the age of the wood...(never tell a woodseller you want wood for an instrument,they always lie about the age,haha...)anyway,it was much better than the original body of the 5stringer!

-In tropical countries where temperature and air humidity are always high,it takes much longer for woods to mature,even if their inner,natural humidity is low enough and the oils are dry enough,they keep "breathing" the high air humidity and except the "dead" responce,this affects the weight too!
Well,you're right anyway,teak is not a tonewood,unless it's old enough and matured in good conditions (this was my luck with this piece!),
i believe that the conditions of maturation make the tonewood,cause if not,the best "fresh" woods that have the properties to become best tonewoods,
can end up "dead",or unstable depending on the wheather,plus funghi etc...

Most woods in the market are technicaly forced to dry in a very short time (weeks or even days),this does remove the natural humidity but not oils or resins,and seem to be ok,but the woods keep on schrinking,twisting or cracking for the next years (cracking can be avoided with proper conditions,
but not schrinking or twisting - wood does it's own thing,better let it twist first,then work it!)
That's the reason serious luthiers ask people to visit them often for the first year after the making of a special made inst, (some don't even give it out of the workshop till they're sure it's stable and only needs the "seasonal setup"),unless they're sure they own the woods for a long time,and trust them as parts of an instrument,
people don't listen to the "directions" and just let bow,then the luthier's got some xtra work to do... ;)

-edit: I still have to read the "Tonewoods" thread,there must be much to read in there!

Edited by yann

[quote name='yann' timestamp='1340785530' post='1709439']I still have to read the "Tonewoods" thread,there must be much to read in there!
[/quote]

Not really - all you need to know is that there is no such thing as tonewood and the wood makes no difference to the sound of the bass.

There. I've saved you three hours.

;) ;) ;)