Why become a member? ×

Hello, Bassists

Gwen Sacre-Bleu

Greetings! I'm a recent transplant from NYC to Wolverhampton and still getting settled. These days I prefer playing with other bassists and am always open to collaborations short and long term, virtual and actual.

Here's a list of the gear I have with me:

1969 Ampeg Dan Armstrong bass
1998 DeArmond Jet-Star bass <-- I think this may be my favorite bass
1985 Fender Squier jazz bass

Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Preamp
Xotic BB-Preamp MB
Mad Professor Blueberry Bass Overdrive <-- LOVE this thing!
Nick Greer Batch O’Ass Fuzz
Empress Fuzz
ProCo Rat Distortion
Boss DS-1 Distortion
EBS MultiComp Compressor
Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff Pi Distortion
Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah
Danelectro DJ-13 French Toast Octave Distortion
Ibanez CD10 Delay Champ

I finally put together the perfect high-power, ultra-light urban rig but I had to leave it behind for the time being. I'll get it over here eventually:

SWR Amplite power amp (400W, 3 lbs)
Schroeder Mini 12" lite cabinet (500W, 25 lbs)

I'm looking forward to making new bass buddies in the UK and figuring out what the informal music scene here is like, from the underbelly view--not to mention voltage adjustments.

Gwen, I'm managing both very nicely! Going over to IEMs in an attempt to 1) not carry so much, and 2) be able to hear what's happening the day after a gig.
Plus 3) become a member of a largely acoustic band!

Edited by Telebass

Telebass, I used to play in an excessively loud band (yes, there is such a thing!) with two guitarists and I had to cram industrial-strength earplugs into my ears to hear myself sing (and for protection). My ears would be roaring all week and at work I was saying, "What?" to people all the time. After that band I swore I would never play with guitarists again! I've broken that vow, of course, but that's when I got really serious about playing mainly with bassists only. I've never tried IEMs--let me know how that works out for you.

Hi, Jaydentaku--I have the late 90s DeArmond reissue of the Jet Star--made in Korea and it's the short-scale version. Someday I'll come across an original Guild '64 or '65 model that I can afford, but as of yet I haven't even seen an original in person. I love the asymmetry of the design and that bass has a positively buttery neck. How do you like yours?

Here's a pic of my more prized possessions.

Gwen, here's a thread I found on IEMs.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/19210-in-ear-monitoring/page__pid__1702768__st__60#entry1702768"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/19210-in-ear-monitoring/page__pid__1702768__st__60#entry1702768 [/url]
I've added my piece on post #64.
There's quite a lot of differing ways people do this. My band have gone the classic major stage event route - mic efverything, even in small pubs, and have a custom mix each. Obviously, you need a PA/mixer capable of this, which ours is - just!

[quote name='Gwen Sacre-Bleu' timestamp='1340257886' post='1701713']

Hi, Jaydentaku--I have the late 90s DeArmond reissue of the Jet Star--made in Korea and it's the short-scale version. Someday I'll come across an original Guild '64 or '65 model that I can afford, but as of yet I haven't even seen an original in person. I love the asymmetry of the design and that bass has a positively buttery neck. How do you like yours?

[/quote]

I have the same version as you. The nicer of the two that were available with the Dearmond pickups. Mine is Tyrian Purple (solid metalic purple with silver flecs) and was my first bass. I love the sound it makes, plenty of low end and hardly any treble. I don't use it for gigging any more, not since '98 (I prefer a full scale). There isn't much info about them, but I do have the brochure somewhere which I have never seen online.

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1340370431' post='1703468']
I have the same version as you. The nicer of the two that were available with the Dearmond pickups. Mine is Tyrian Purple (solid metalic purple with silver flecs) and was my first bass. I love the sound it makes, plenty of low end and hardly any treble. I don't use it for gigging any more, not since '98 (I prefer a full scale). There isn't much info about them, but I do have the brochure somewhere which I have never seen online.
[/quote]

Yeah, there was another version made in Indonesia and those are supposed to be not as good as the MIK ones we have. They were budget basses but they're really good quality and look wicked.

I get plenty of treble on mine. I use Pro Steels and they sound really bright. They also last longer than the nickel-wounds because they seem to be more resistant to the caustic acid my fingers apparently secrete. Don't shake my hand.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1340369378' post='1703440']
Hi - welcome.

Its much better than Talkbass on here. And do you have the Bogart type accent where when he says curtains it sounds like coitans?

Jerry
[/quote]

Thanks, Jerry. I know what you mean--I've never been moved to post in TalkBass, for some reason.

I hate to disappoint you but I don't have [i]that[/i] kind of NY accent unless I'm kidding around. In fact, I don't have too much of a NY accent except when I say "solder" and "whore." ;)