Why become a member? ×

Flats or Rounds??

Wooks

I'm venturing into the realms of the fretless bass and I was wondering what strings should I use? Now I know people will say it depends on what type of sound I want to achieve, flats will produce a more upright bass sound and rounds will be a brighter sound.
What I would like some advice is if I use rounds obviously these will mark the fretboard. But I was wondering how quickly will rounds take to "damage" the FB if at all?

[quote name='Wooks' post='182078' date='Apr 21 2008, 06:36 PM']I'm venturing into the realms of the fretless bass and I was wondering what strings should I use? Now I know people will say it depends on what type of sound I want to achieve, flats will produce a more upright bass sound and rounds will be a brighter sound.
What I would like some advice is if I use rounds obviously these will mark the fretboard. But I was wondering how quickly will rounds take to "damage" the FB if at all?[/quote]

GHS Pressure Wounds work well for me. Halfway between round and flat, almost no finger noise but still a nice middley definition,and plenty sustain.

[quote name='Wooks' post='182078' date='Apr 21 2008, 06:36 PM']I'm venturing into the realms of the fretless bass and I was wondering what strings should I use? Now I know people will say it depends on what type of sound I want to achieve, flats will produce a more upright bass sound and rounds will be a brighter sound.
What I would like some advice is if I use rounds obviously these will mark the fretboard. But I was wondering how quickly will rounds take to "damage" the FB if at all?[/quote]

I've just gone over to D'addario Chromes on my fretless and can highly recommend them for sound quality, they are quite bright and work better, for me , than rounds on a fretless.

Marc

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='182101' date='Apr 21 2008, 07:00 PM']Look at the basschat wiki for info on strings[/quote]

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='182109' date='Apr 21 2008, 07:03 PM']Where?[/quote]
[url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:strings"]here[/url] - links through to finnbass where the admin appreciate my efforts

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='182132' date='Apr 21 2008, 07:28 PM'][url="http://wiki.basschat.co.uk/info:buying:strings"]here[/url] - links through to finnbass where the admin appreciate my efforts[/quote]
You have to sign in to access that though - I am a member but not everyone is - why don't you copy and paste what you've written there and put it in the basschat wiki? :)

As has already been mentioned, it depends on what you're after.

I've just been around the world trying to settle on strings for my fretless P. I finally settled back on La Bella flats.

After a couple of months with DR HiBeams (great, but not for me) and D'Addario half-rounds, the board on my fretless has noticeable scuffing on it. It's not exactly serious damage, but.. it's a shame.

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='182137' date='Apr 21 2008, 07:31 PM']You have to sign in to access that though - I am a member but not everyone is - why don't you copy and paste what you've written there and put it in the basschat wiki? :)[/quote]
I did. Then I got it in the neck from admin for telling someone to look at the wiki so I thought "f*** you" and just put the link in instead.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='182177' date='Apr 21 2008, 07:58 PM']As has already been mentioned, it depends on what you're after.

I've just been around the world trying to settle on strings for my fretless P. I finally settled back on La Bella flats.

After a couple of months with DR HiBeams (great, but not for me) and D'Addario half-rounds, the board on my fretless has noticeable scuffing on it. It's not exactly serious damage, but.. it's a shame.[/quote]

LBDTs are great, and I have them on my awesome new 77 fretless with ebony neck. However, the problem here is that your question is analogous to "should I shag Kylie or Danni". Danni might exert more wear on your kit but ultimately be more what you're after than Kylie, who might be gentler but less rewarding. Risk/benefits ratios are difficult things...
Chris

To be more helpful, I have a bitsa fretless that I use to experiement on with strings so that I don't damage any of my vintage necks. Rounds do chew necks up pretty quick, although it probably depends on touch. If keeping your neck intact is important, grounds or flats are the way forwards. Learn to get the sound you want through fingers and EQ
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='182226' date='Apr 21 2008, 08:43 PM']To be more helpful, I have a bitsa fretless that I use to experiement on with strings so that I don't damage any of my vintage necks. Rounds do chew necks up pretty quick, although it probably depends on touch. If keeping your neck intact is important, grounds or flats are the way forwards. Learn to get the sound you want through fingers and EQ
Chris[/quote]

To be honest, board wear was secondary to me at that point. I actually found I preferred the tone of the flats...

All that searching for nowt. Typical. :-)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='182183' date='Apr 21 2008, 08:02 PM']I did. Then I got it in the neck from admin for telling someone to look at the wiki so I thought "f*** you" and just put the link in instead.[/quote]

..another classic :)

Personally I had always used flats on my fretless stingray as I preferred the tone. But having spent a lot of time with Precision type basses lately I'm moving towards rounds as just winding the tone off on a P bass pretty much gives you a reasonable imitation. That said though, like a lot of people I have flats on my fretted P bass and rounds on my fretless (I figure its got an ebony board for a reason so I might as well make the most of it).

As WoT says there will be some superficial scuffing if you have rounds on for even a small amount of time, but I wholeheartedly suggest trying both flats and rounds to see which you prefer...and then keep the other strings because I bet you'll change your mind sometime down the line like we all do :)

J