Why become a member? ×

Do all Ampegs have noisy DIs?

moonbass

Played through an Ampeg SVT 4 in the studio yesterday, and ended up changing back to my own rig because the DI out, although a great tone, had a horrible hum on it. I've had this before on several amps and it was solved with a ground lift switch, but the SVT doesn't have one. Just wondered if this is a problem with all Ampegs or if it's just this one?

No, I used the same xlr cable to my Streamliner 900 and it was fine. It was a touring Ampeg rig, so probably just an electrical fault it's picked up. Reassuring to know; thanks alll. Those Ampegs do sound gorgeous though! If I just had a van... And a roadie... And a spare couple of grand...

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1339446160' post='1688721']
Played through an Ampeg SVT 4 in the studio yesterday, and ended up changing back to my own rig because the DI out, although a great tone, had a horrible hum on it. I've had this before on several amps and it was solved with a ground lift switch, but the SVT doesn't have one. Just wondered if this is a problem with all Ampegs or if it's just this one?
[/quote]

A decent DI box would have gotten round the earth lift issue. I'd be wondering what sort of strudio doesn't have them...or P.A co, for that matter.

But why Ampeg doesn't have them,...hmmm, don't know. I have 2 DI's outs on my amp and both have earth lifts..!!

Well, by the time I'd switched to my rig it wasn't worth trying it with a DI as the Genz has a decent DI (although also has a bit of a hum!) Just wondered about Ampeg for possible future purchasing purposes. The fan noise issue is also a bit of a pain though!

Not sure I understand the ground lift thing. Well, I do, but why would it be necessary with a balanced output?

Or are we talking about unbalanced DI outputs? I don't have a wide experience of instrument amps but my Ashdown head and Ampeg combo DI outputs are both balanced.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1339506024' post='1689420']
Not sure I understand the ground lift thing. Well, I do, but why would it be necessary with a balanced output?

Or are we talking about unbalanced DI outputs? I don't have a wide experience of instrument amps but my Ashdown head and Ampeg combo DI outputs are both balanced.
[/quote]
balanced signals are still grounded, sometimes ground current choose not ideal paths and create ground loops resulting in noise