Why become a member? ×

Vintage Yamaha BB1600 - Sold!

andy67

Very difficult sale for me this ... I managed to get her back after being away for nearly ten years! However, my black Yamaha BB1600 is most reluctantly up for sale.

She is in great condition for an old bird, definitely road worn and road ready; Dating he was difficult but at best she is 26 and at worst (vintage) 33 years old. Her date of birth is difficult to garner information on due to the lack of letters in her code, however various Yamaha serial services have turned up: 1979, 1980/81/86 who knows??

Anyway a little tweak on the set-up would see her play beautifully and effortlessly responding to the lightest of loving touches. No major dings nor bangs, just sings like a grand piano.

I feel I have done enough research to price her competitively at [b]£400. [/b]Postage, I imagine, would be around £15 for a two day courier - happy to negotiate postage but would prefer buyer to arrange. I'll stick some pinups of her later tonight.

Trades also considered.

cheers for looking

andy

Edited by andy67

[quote name='andy67' timestamp='1339181089' post='1685095']Her date of birth is difficult to garner information on due to the lack of letters in her code, however various Yamaha serial services have turned up: 1979, 1980/81/86 who knows??[/quote]
Three of Yamaha's factories in Japan and one in Taiwan didn't use letters in serial numbers at varying times. It's easy to find MIJ and MIT instruments manufactured between 1946 and 2001 using five digit, six digit and eight digit serials with no letters. For your 1600, if you identify if it's MIJ or MIT then it's easy to identify the year. If it's MIJ then it was made at Wada, and the first two digits identify the year. If it's MIT it was made at Kaohsiung and the first digit identifies the year. Anyway, '79 is way optimistic given that the model didn't exist until the 80s.

I already have a BB3000 and a BB1000s, so those combined with a bank balance the wrong side of healthy means I'm able to fight my GAS.

Those of a weaker disposition should NOT click on the following links !!:

http://youtu.be/MLJgpScanTk

http://youtu.be/emiJWe9uoHA

...and yes, [b][size=6][font=comic sans ms,cursive]PICS !!! [/font][/size][/b] ;)

Edited by Turk

Noelk thanks for the info buddy. Its Japanese first numbers 11 so I'll assume it is 1981.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, pics added. Sorry for being a rubbish photographer!

andy

Edited by andy67

[quote name='BarnacleBob' timestamp='1339192856' post='1685332']

Japanese, Taiwanese or Siamese?

BB
[/quote]

The kittens are definitely Japanese! Hundreds of them screaming at me to buy them this new toy and they won't shut up until they know it's a full pedigree Japanese bass :-D

Edited by Sean

[quote name='andy67' timestamp='1339194689' post='1685356']Its Japanese first numbers 11 so I'll assume it is 1981.[/quote]
There was more than one version of the 1600. Yours is the export version of what was labelled the BBX in Japan. The BBX was in production between '83 and the end of the 00s. Your version of the BBX was in production between '87 and '94. That makes yours a '91, if the serial starts "1".