Why become a member? ×

Akai rebranding of latest guitar pedals?

Kiwi

[url="http://www.whatsthatdudeplay.com/2011/01/akai-pedals-biyang-rebrands/"]http://www.whatsthatdudeplay.com/2011/01/akai-pedals-biyang-rebrands/[/url]

If (and I say IF) this is true, oh how the mighty have fallen.

I've never heard any Biyang kit. I'm making an assumption that the Biyang kit falls in to the same catagory as Chord/GLX etc? Akai are obviously as massive brand known for their pro audio/ synths. Is Biyang one of their own companies / manaufacturing factories that are being oushed in the guitar market?

I lurk around a few guitar forums and the consensus is that the Biyang stuff is (like the Joyo pedals that have been discussed here before) well manufactured and very good bang for the buck. Their newer 'Baby Boom' pedals are in MXR size boxes, true bypass and get good reviews. I'm probably going to grab one of the reverb pedals as soon as funds allow, and a guy I did FOH for recently had their Tubescreamer clone and loved it.

There seems to be some great stuff coming from these factories, and they do tons of OEM builds for bigger brands too. I believe Biyang or Joyo (can't remember which) build many of the BBE pedal range.

It's no different to Fender, Squier, Lakland or whoever building guitars in the Cort factory really - especially for someone like Akai whos main output does not involve building stompboxes. Why retool a production line at great expense when you can get an equally well built product assembled for you by people who build this stuff every day. If they've signed off on the designs, and the pedals sound good, what's the difference to the end user?

I think this has always happened, but now that the factories building the kit have started slapping their own brand on stuff and becoming recognised builders in their own right we are more aware of the use of these facilities by the bigger names. If Biyang didn't ship pedals with their own name on, we'd be talking about Akai's return to the pedal-making business in different tones!

Biyang have made some really excellent pedals, and having started cheap, ended up being quite expensive. A few years back they started making pedals for Guitarfetish/GFS and presumably are now OEMing for Akai. I recently discovered the Akai pro series, and it immediately reminded me of the Biyang pedals of a few years back (except the tone - the Akai was utterly horrid!).

I do like the look & sound of the Joyo pedals though, and $30 direct!!!!