Why become a member? ×

light weight head advice.

0175westwood29

sadly looks like ill be changing my head, im gutted love my db750

im looking to use not all the money from my db750 sale to not only get me out of a whole but also get me a reasonably powerfull head.

im thinking no less than 500w at 4 ohms, ive had a lm2 and through my 610hlf it was plenty, but dnt seem to be many lm2's around atm so im probs gonna go with a lm3, but im also thinking of going for the aguilar th500. just wondering what you guys would go for as they seem to be around a similar price?

andy

Not much difference in the power stage of all the car stereo amps. So its all down to which Preamp you prefer I think. I got a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 just before they released the 6.2 because it was severely reduced. Its a great amp but a tad clean for me, nothing a pedal doesn't cure though :)

If you liked the Markbass LM before, I`d recommend at least checking out the current version, as always a good reference point (plus Markbass gear always sounds great, imo).

Other than that, Genz Benz seem to get very positive comments on here, Shuttle for super-clean, Streamliner for more tubey-tones.

Lastly, Gallien Krueger MB series. MB500 for that classic GK sound, MB Fusion 500 for more tubey-tones. I`ve had both, and each are great.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1338482302' post='1675274']
If you liked the Markbass LM before, I`d recommend at least checking out the current version, as always a good reference point (plus Markbass gear always sounds great, imo).

Other than that, Genz Benz seem to get very positive comments on here, Shuttle for super-clean, Streamliner for more tubey-tones.

Lastly, Gallien Krueger MB series. MB500 for that classic GK sound, MB Fusion 500 for more tubey-tones. I`ve had both, and each are great.
[/quote]

the problem i have with the mb gallien heads are that when i tried one with my fb4 it was a bit to hot of an input for it, could have been just that head tho!

andy

thing is th db is a bit overkill for me really!

also to throw a curveball what are peoples views on the ta501 markbass head? seems to have alot more going on than the standard lm2/3

i think im gonna go down the markbass route after listening to a few videos ive remebered how much i liked the lm2.

andy

if you are used to the power of a db750 i would recommend the new glockenklang blue soul to you. its powerrating (650watts into 4Ohm) is very conservative. it feels like a lot more (in fact it has a 1000watt digital powersection).

its got a very good rock tone and the quality is above all other.

sandmann

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1338482633' post='1675285']
the problem i have with the mb gallien heads are that when i tried one with my fb4 it was a bit to hot of an input for it, could have been just that head tho!

andy
[/quote]

In what way too hot? I've used a bongo with my MB and they don't come much hotter than that. I had to go easier on the gain but that's inevitable.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1338623260' post='1677230']

In what way too hot? I've used a bongo with my MB and they don't come much hotter than that. I had to go easier on the gain but that's inevitable.
[/quote]

It was clipping on the input, basically had to have all the controls on my bass at minimum! So took my aguilar pre amp out of the equation,

Yeh thats why ive gone with the thinking of ill get a markbass as i can get close to the sound of the db, and im more likely to find one second hand.