Why become a member? ×

And then there were 2 (well, for a little while)

Old Horse Murphy

2007 was a funny year for me. It was a good year, but a funny one as far as GAS went.

In 2006, I had a load of gear stolen and all I was left with was my trusty Stingray (ex-demo model bought for £650!! Absolutely mint). So, basically I had to start again with my collection. I must've got through at least 10 basses and 3 amp set ups in the never-ending quest to find "the" bass for me.

At one stage I had 6 basses, which for me was way too many to justify. Sitting down in a reflective mood in January led me to the conclusion that I reckon I need 3 basses to cover all of the styles of music I was ever likely to play. So over the last few months, a "cull" resulted in me cutting down to 2 basses at the moment and one due imminently....

After talking to Si (Old Git) I decided to commission Jon Shuker to build me a 5 string P Bass with P/J active EMG pickups. This is due to be with me shortly.

Due to hearing problems, I moved my 76 P-Bass on (a sad day) and with the money I made from that, I bought Richardd's Fender Custom Shop 64 Closet Classic Jazz bass (in Burgundy mist!!). This is one of the best, easiest basses I've ever picked up. Not everyone's cup of tea but I'm comfortable with my own sexuality so I don't mind being seen in public with it!!

So, at the end of the journey so far I have my Stingray which was under my nose all the time, the Jazz bass and the impending Shuker 5 String.

I treated the Stingray to a smoke coloured mirrored plate recently and took all the chrome appendages off the Jazz bass and I'm a happy man.

I dread to think how much money, how many miles it has cost me over the last year, but I've met some fantastic people and it's kept me out of trouble!!

And here they are; my crocks of gold at the end of the rainbow. 4 less than I started the year with, but enough sounds and charisma between them to satisfy me for years to come :)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='tombboy' post='180714' date='Apr 19 2008, 09:17 PM']I take it you play the 'Ray sitting down? :) Where are the straphooks man? :huh:[/quote]

Jeez I knew someone would be eagle eyed enough to spot that!! I "borrowed them" for the Jazz as I didn't have any spare straplock buttons- all sorted now though!

Glad you're happy Nick - they look well together. How does the Jazz sound?
Know how you feel - I was down to one bass this week (for all of 4 days and an odd number of hours). Now back up to 2 - the Ray and the P. Still the honeymoon period, but cant for the life of me think why I sold my last Ray - I hope this one stays for a few years. Hope I don't get tempted to blow what cash I have left thru another Warwick or Lakland phase :)

[quote name='martthebass' post='180753' date='Apr 19 2008, 10:27 PM']Glad you're happy Nick - they look well together. How does the Jazz sound?
Know how you feel - I was down to one bass this week (for all of 4 days and an odd number of hours). Now back up to 2 - the Ray and the P. Still the honeymoon period, but cant for the life of me think why I sold my last Ray - I hope this one stays for a few years. Hope I don't get tempted to blow what cash I have left thru another Warwick or Lakland phase :)[/quote]
The Jazz sounds great Mart. I must admit though, the Lakland JO pickups sounded a lot louder and bassier, but for whatever reason I just don't seem to be able to get on with Laklands (they just feel a bit too clinical to me whereas Fenders feel a bit more earthy and "lived in"). I think the build quality of Laklands is generally better and I know a number of guys who swear by them, but I just don't get the same buzz.

I can't wait to get my hands on the Shuker now and hopefully this trio will do me for a fair while yet.

Nice man, that jazz is VERY well kept to say it's a 64! Also gotta love a bit of stingray, Lovely basses, i have yet to upgrade my sub to a stingray but i'm working on it...

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='180721' date='Apr 19 2008, 09:31 PM']Jeez I knew someone would be eagle eyed enough to spot that!! I "borrowed them" for the Jazz as I didn't have any spare straplock buttons- all sorted now though![/quote]
Haha i noticed that too