Why become a member? ×

Does anyone know how basses are sold each year ?

far0n

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1337970150' post='1668273']
I have two basses and two guitars.
I like playing bass and don't really have a clue yet how to play guitar. But still have two.
[/quote]

I'm sure the opposite is true of many Guitarists. I had 3 Basses (and 5 guitars) before I considered myself to be taking bass playing seriously

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1338024506' post='1668719']
i have two acoustics and a strat that just sit gathering dust. Every now and then I pick one up, tune it, then it takes about 3 minutes for me to remember how crap I am. So I put it down again. Been going on like that for years.

Dunno why I keep em really.
[/quote]

sounds familiar!

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1337957428' post='1668069']
Rubbish!
[/quote]
Possibly, I should have said 'far less people seem to start on bass compared to guitar'.
And yes I started on Bass but I have noticed doing the rock school exams (Every grade up to 7 so far), that there are a lot more Grade 1 guitarists at the exam days than anything else.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1337940599' post='1667626']
Questions already been asked, but where do they all go.

Think how many basses have been produced in the last say 50 years by Fender alone, awhere are they ? why are (say) 70s Precisions so rare ? OK I can understand music shops saying theyre not worth much when taking them as part exchange etc, but I cant see that many actually ending up in skips.

Must be millions in lovely old tweed hardcases sat lofts and under beds, with ageing owners like me thinking......Someday !
[/quote]

But if we knew the answer to this then nobody could list their appaling 70's Fender as "rare" :o

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1337970150' post='1668273']
and strings...

I have two basses and two guitars.
I like playing bass and don't really have a clue yet how to play guitar. But still have two.

go figure
[/quote]

Go figure? What does that mean?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1338328732' post='1672987']
Go figure? What does that mean?
[/quote] go figure, go work out why I have two versions of an instrument I can't really play.
It makes little sense

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1338330468' post='1673024']
go figure, go work out why I have two versions of an instrument I can't really play.
It makes little sense
[/quote]

oh, ok, thanks, americanism.

I reckon you're better than you say, I'm in a worse place with 4! (Actually 5 but one is for sale)

Maybe this is part of it, I'm sure people didn't have multiples of instruments so commonly years ago. I also think this is where all those missing tens of thousands of old fenders etc have gone, in people's wardrobes.

I sometimes wish that keeping basses the dark made their colour fade so people would have to get them out.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1338535920' post='1675859']
oh, ok, thanks, americanism.

I reckon you're better than you say, I'm in a worse place with 4! (Actually 5 but one is for sale)

Maybe this is part of it, I'm sure people didn't have multiples of instruments so commonly years ago. I also think this is where all those missing tens of thousands of old fenders etc have gone, in people's wardrobes.

I sometimes wish that keeping basses the dark made their colour fade so people would have to get them out.
[/quote] i looked up an inflation calculator the other day. now back in 1982 my jv squier would have been about £200- and was a budget instrument. that would be £650. I hear reports that my takamine originally went for about £1000 or £2300 in todays money....i think instruments ae cheaper now!

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1338024506' post='1668719']
i have two acoustics and a strat that just sit gathering dust. Every now and then I pick one up, tune it, then it takes about 3 minutes for me to remember how crap I am. So I put it down again. Been going on like that for years.

Dunno why I keep em really.
[/quote]

I could have written that - word for word! You must be a mind reader. :lol:

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1338541604' post='1675951']
i looked up an inflation calculator the other day. now back in 1982 my jv squier would have been about £200- and was a budget instrument. that would be £650. I hear reports that my takamine originally went for about £1000 or £2300 in todays money....i think instruments ae cheaper now!
[/quote]

They are definitely cheaper now, especially those made in the Far East. I have always wondered that our materialism has increased with the improved affordability that while basses, for example, are cheaper we seem to be more protective of them.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1338542992' post='1675977']
I could have written that - word for word! You must be a mind reader. :lol:
[/quote]

Heh, one acoustic and one Squier strat here, both dusty, both reminders of why I get a guitarist in for any recording.

Are we really all the same person?