Why become a member? ×

Kit Share - General Opinions?

Cat Burrito

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1337434290' post='1659905']
Haha I just remembered that anti Napster video with Lars Ulrich in it. Thought the tag line would be appropriate to this thread...

Sharing's only fun when it's not your stuff!

:lol:
[/quote]

I remember promising when I got married, 'All I have is yours and all you have is yours'

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337436568' post='1659966']

I remember promising when I got married, 'All I have is yours and all you have is yours'
[/quote]

I'm not even married and I have to live by those rules!

Thankfully she hates my bass gear cluttering up the place, and she's got deep seated issues with Xboxes ;)

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337433177' post='1659868']
Bringing amps to gigs is not about whether the bass player owns one or not, its about the arrangements for backline. Fine for nice big venues with space for the bands to set the backline up in front of the next band on but I can't remember the last pub/club type gig with I've been to where each band used a different backline and it was changed between each band.

Where does all this stuff get stored during the gig? Does it get changed for each band during the sound check too? Must make for a very long evening with such long changeovers.
[/quote]
That's a very good point, but where that falls is when promotors, especially round here say "guitarists bring your own amps, everyone one else shares". Why should the guitarists have that luxury? Drum kits are understandable but we do get told that every one but guitarists have to share, bass players have to share and if a bassist turns up with an amp they're often met with "so your providing the bass amp".

Dan

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1337438000' post='1660008']
That's a very good point, but where that falls is when promotors, especially round here say "guitarists bring your own amps, everyone one else shares". Why should the guitarists have that luxury? Drum kits are understandable but we do get told that every one but guitarists have to share, bass players have to share and if a bassist turns up with an amp they're often met with "so your providing the bass amp".
Dan
[/quote]

Only a luxury if you have the transport etc to do so, this is where most youngsters have problems.

I think there's a perception that guitarists are very particular about their sound but that people don't worry too much about the bass sound. Also the bass is more likely to be DI'd and so perhaps considered semi permanent.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1337442831' post='1660115']
Only a luxury if you have the transport etc to do so, this is where most youngsters have problems.

I think there's a perception that guitarists are very particular about their sound but that people don't worry too much about the bass sound. Also the bass is more likely to be DI'd and so perhaps considered semi permanent.
[/quote]

Ah! The ol' one rule for them a different rule for us! But once again very true reality 4 Strings. However, transport aside, I still find it baffling that a bass player would not have their own amp.

Dan

My favourite for a while was a run of gigs we had where they had in house cab at least, and sometimes a head too, but the cab could take anything you might throw at it so you were welcome to bring your own head. Thing is, now I have a >50kg combo, 3 flights of stairs up in my house, and don't drive, I don't have an option to take my amp to gigs. I go with a sansamp and work from there, I'll deal with just having on stage monitors if necessary, but like to ideally borrow the amp there, and DI out of my sansamp too, using the onstage amp for my own sound.

With this in mind, given I like borrowing gear, I'm always happy to lend out, but I wouldn't take a punt on someone I'd seen trashing his gear or treating it with no respect at the start of the night. It's a question of judgement really. Thing is, even if I did have a car, I'd be reluctant to bring any amp to a gig, nowhere to park in London anyway!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1337433413' post='1659882']
pubs..?? sharing..? what sort of gigs are these..?
[/quote]

A wild stab in the dark...a gig in a pub where there is more than one band playing that night, hence producing the circumstances where equipment may be shared.

Bigger gigs we do (The ones where borrowing gear is actually possible because there's more than 1 band) i always get in contact with the other band beforehand to see if i can borrow their bass cab, even if i've already been told that i can by the promotor/organiser. Always take my head, as people are more protective over their amps, as this thread clearly shows. Always make sure to give the guy a thanks afterwards as well.

Liam

Ive been bitten by this one and i'm definately twice shy.

At the end of the day I'm not a professional player therefore my gear is paid from my own pocket and chosen carefully to suit my needs. It cost me a small fortune and I love it. The thought of loaning it out makes me cringe since an inexperienced support band drove an old Marshall head of mine to death, leaving me left to play through the PA. I was not a happy bunny and I did manage to comandeer the bassists' guitar until the repair was sorted. Just hassle I really dont need.

I paid for it, I carried it, I use it.

If you cant be bothered to sort your own out then with all due respect, you deserve the PA :-)

Edited by CPBassman

I've noticed that i've become more protective of my gear recently, this is due to me buying a quite nice (and expensive) mark bass rig. I guess in my opinion it all comes down to the value of your rig and how willing you are to see it broken or abused. For example my first decent sized rig was an Ashton 400w head and a 4x10 which i was pretty happy to lend out due to the fact it cost me around £300 for the lot and so wasn't worth much, however now i'm using around £1800 worth of amp i'm a lot more precious about it. As a general rule i don't lend it out to people unless its a personal friend who needs a favour, and still they have to sign an agreement to say if they break it they buy it .