Why become a member? ×

Laklands in Manchester

niceguyhomer

Just been to Soundsgreat Music near Manchester Airport and they had 5 Lakkies in. There was a 44-01, a 55-01, a LPB Darryl 4 (Maple board) and a white DJ5. There was also a luvly Bob in s/b with mint s/p and r/w board - it was a beaut and really hard to resist but alas I must, I must. Prices seemed ok apart from the Bob, which I thought was a bit expensive at £885 but IME with SGM, you can get a bit knocked off.

[quote name='Platypus' post='180078' date='Apr 18 2008, 07:32 PM']Think that's as good a stock list as you'd find anywhere in the country

P[/quote]

Last time I was in Electro Music in Doncaster they pretty much had one of each of the skylines 4s & 5s too !

I know what you mean. I went in to try the Lakland jazzes and ended up liking the DD the most. It sounded much better than the Fender American Standard P they had, although that was a five string. I'd like to compare it to a 4 string Am Std P cos I don't play five strings. If you could get the DD in another colour I would definitely buy one, although if I can't find something I like more for a similar price then I might just get one anyway!

Edited by steve1879

• 2 years later...

phew.. well and truly dug up from the dead.., but .. :

What's the current status? Sounds Great in Cheadle aren't showing and Laklands on their website, and Sound Control went under from what I remember. Did they ever come back? There does seem to be a (shoddy) website at soundcontrol[b]s[/b].co.uk. The name Sound Control seems to have been taken by a club or something!

Anywhere else in Manchester where I can get my hands on some Laklands ?

Hello mate,

Lakland are currently being looked after by Guitar Guitar.

Headline who distribute PRS guitars in the UK did them for a while, and before that it was House Music/Bass Centre.

You'll probably find most places have ceased stocking them at the moment - Most shops find buying their gear from another shop a bit difficult, as GG will be paying distributor prices, whereas anyone else will be buying from GG at a standard trade price usually a good few % more so GG see a decent markup.
This also means if they decide to have a blowout, then nobody can compete with them. So nobody will entertain it.*

GG Have cornered that particular bit of the market...take the train to Birmingham?

*This is my assumption, by the way.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1196122' date='Apr 11 2011, 07:39 PM']All the Laklands I tried in their Newcastle store had quirks that I havent seen on the earlier models. I think personally the magic of Lakland has faded a little, and they are quite expensive.[/quote]

Hi. What sort of quirks do you mean? These were the Skyline models I presume? They sure are pricey considering they're the import models. I'm amazed that the 44-02 can be nearly double the price of the 44-01, just because of different electronics.

I'm almost tempted to go for the quilt-top 44-01 deluxe that's on eBay at the moment. I don't fancy the top-less natural wood 44-01s. It's not the prettiest slab of wood really.

Edited by carl0s

I'd buy an earlier Skyline used. I really don't think the recent models are as top notch as they used to be.

Quirks as in bad paint, horrendous weight, misaligned pickups (really obviously mis aligned) and a few other issues. No doubt they have very good examples somewhere, but I've tried to buy 3-4 times and gave up.

Thing is, they are supposed to be better QC wise compared to Fender! Not sure nowadays.

[quote name='steve1879' post='180655' date='Apr 19 2008, 07:06 PM']I know what you mean. I went in to try the Lakland jazzes and ended up liking the DD the most. It sounded much better than the Fender American Standard P they had, although that was a five string. I'd like to compare it to a 4 string Am Std P cos I don't play five strings. If you could get the DD in another colour I would definitely buy one, although if I can't find something I like more for a similar price then I might just get one anyway![/quote]

I've had 2 Skyline Duck Dunn's (3 if you count the one i sent back) and they are truly fantastic basses.
I also had a Fender 2008 P5 at the same time i agree, the DD sounded nicer than the Fender, although i felt the Fender had a more Earthy tone.

I know Lakland were doing the DD (or 44-64 Custom as its now called) in Teal Green metallic and Inca Silver as limited editions last year but ive never seen one.

FWIW i feel my Squier with Jazz neck plays and sounds just as good as the DD's ive had.

Edited by dave_bass5