Why become a member? ×

Zoom B9.1ut

petetexas

Hi,

Anyone got / using one of these...........

I find mine ( now I have spent some time learning about the functions in it ) to give me all I need.

As with all Multieffect Units - most of the pre sets are there to show you what the unit can do - tweek to get your own

sound / effect.

Rehearsal ( Mp3 input ) Live ( DI to PA if needed ) Recording ( usb out ) Effect loop ( if needed ) Midi (in and out) what

more do you need

When I talk to customers in the music shop I work in, there seems to be a lot of snobery "Zoom stuff cr*p", "Just toys"

I dont understand them..........

Pete

Well, they're basically a bunch of digital samples stuffed into the same box. There's no way it's going to sound good. Multi-Efx might be good if you don't know what effects you want, or what brands to buy, but for a regularly gigging musician in a relatively popular band, you're going to want something real.

I love my Zoom B9.1 ut and gig with it regularly. Went from separate effects to this to save on toe tapping and add versatility. The valve seems to give me a nice warm tone - wish I had more time to fiddle to get even more out of it. I've tried a Boss GT6B, Korg AX3000B and Line six pod (the floor version) and the zoom works best for me :-)

I have the Zoom B3, and while I don't think much to a lot of the gain based models, everything else is bloody awesome! Even a lot of the amp sims are as close as i'd ever want :D I mix it with a few 'real pedals' and run it through my amp, so that I have the exact setup that a fussy git like me needs

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1336940975' post='1653085']
Well, they're basically a bunch of digital samples stuffed into the same box. There's no way it's going to sound good. Multi-Efx might be good if you don't know what effects you want, or what brands to buy, but for a regularly gigging musician in a relatively popular band, you're going to want something real.
[/quote]

What about this regularly gigging musician, and has been for twenty years, in some VERY popular bands? ;) One band sold something like 10,000 albums featuring zoom multi fx, used em on some of the UK's biggest stages too . I've owned a huge range of carefully chosen fx, including running multiple boards for specific tasks. Over 60 basses owned, many boutique and many rigs. Fine tuned my sound right down to the patch cabling.
A few years ago I ditched my separate pedals for a zoom B9.1ut and I've never, ever looked back :)
One of the most completely satisfying bits of bass kit I've bought (along with my Bergantinos).
It really Is outstanding. It just takes a savvy ear and some time and care spent crafting the sounds.
I modelled each of mine on an existing sound from my old pedal board, carefully A/B-ing as I went.
Infact it's always on, as I made my perfectly (for me) eq'd and compressed clean tone first and put into all the patches, then added fx over that. Patch one in every bank is the just the clean sound. So it's never bypassed, it's my basic, go-to tone, into the MoMark and bergs and hey presto.
Very versatile clean tone too. Sparkle to thud to burble with a roll of the wrist/ finger/volume or tone control.
Utter mutts nuts and flattens to boss GT range ime, IMHO, ymmv etc etc :)
Horses for courses this game I guess.

Edited by gafbass02

A lot of it has to do with your particular playing style, or the gear you're using it with! Some stuff simply doesn't go. I have played many fantastic pieces of kit that have sounded and/or felt awful in my hands. Musicman, Warwick, TC Electronic, Boss, Digitech, Yamaha, just to name a few!

I have a lot of love for Zoom gear -the 'entry level' B2 sits nicely on my board alongside Boss, MXR and EHX pedals and does a damn good job. And you don't need to be a rocket scientist to work it out... The guitarist in my band has a Boss Multi FX which he has studied to PHD level and can make it sound like anything.

Bottom line is don't rule anything out. Don't be put off by the name, give it a try. You might be surprised. My £10 eBay Behringer EQ pedal is ace and does a great job. I've tried a bunch of 'quallty' Multi FX, incl Boss and Korg and have always punted them on, unsatisfied with what they do. A lot of that is down to my lack of patience and techsmarts. My B2 does everything I want, sounds brilliant and i'm really confident about using it.

It's not the gear - it's the way you use it that matters.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1336940975' post='1653085']
Well, they're basically a bunch of digital samples stuffed into the same box. There's no way it's going to sound good.
[/quote]

There are no samples of sounds stuffed into this box. It does have A/D/A conversion going on if that's what you're on about?

I love zoom multi-effects. I use a lot of individual pedals too (I think my collection is at least 40 pedals) but I still gig with my B2.1U as well.