Why become a member? ×

strap loks

dmccombe7

Does anyone else have a problem with their strap lock buttons loosening off. On both my Fender and Overwater J4 they have loosened themselves on the body at the horn end. Bridge end is fine.
Thought maybe it was because the strap now sits further away from the body and therefore a bit more strain on the button itself. Original buttons would have the strap sitting close to the body.

Can't remember the mfr. Got them on ebay but they work well otherwise. They are pretty well made so its not a quality issue i think.

Dave

With most of the schaller style straploks the screws always have a smaller (thinner) thread than the originals.

When fitting them I cover a match with wood glue, gently tap it in as far as it will go, then carefully trim it flush with the body and let it dry throughly before screwing in the new screw, which I have also pre-coated in superglue. This way they stay put for a good long time!

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1336756897' post='1650683']
With most of the schaller style straploks the screws always have a smaller (thinner) thread than the originals.
[/quote]

I questioned this last time it came up because IME the screws are the same diameter but actually longer (especially when you take into account they go further through the strap lock button). IIRC it appears to be mainly Fender strap buttons that have fatter screws.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1336757114' post='1650692']
Cocktail sticks are harder wood than matchsticks and so, IMO, provide a more substantial and lasting result.
[/quote]

OK, thats a good point will try that next time.

On a broader note, my Laklands both had fatter, coarser screw threads on the button screws. Yes, the schaller ones are everso slightly longer, but not so as would make much of a difference IMO...

I guess if you never want them to come out again (and arguably why would you?), you could try using cocktail sticks, use an epoxy glue (Araldite type) and screw together before the epoxy goes off. that'd work pretty permanently, but I suspect I'll get a slap from someone for suggesting it!! I suppose it depends on how much you value your bass! I'm not sure I'd do that on anything other than a really grungy bass!!

One little point. Anybody else noticed that if you put a woodscrew into the nozzle of PVA based glue bottles, or No Nails tubes, they corrode quite badly. Even plated ones. I'm not sure if it will still happen with dried glue.

Just a thought, but a corroded screw you cant get out, or that snaps off might cause problems.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1337068983' post='1654726']
I think the corrosion normally comes from being stored in lofts or garages in damp environements rather than the PVA but i have noted that myself and it is a valid point worth further investigation.

Dave
[/quote]

No nails, mastic gun, boot of my car was always full of tools / screws anyway which didnt go rusty.... Must be the PVA I reckon.

[quote name='ojplaysbass' timestamp='1337070863' post='1654758']
separate from the button issue, but on the whole strap lock subject......

has anyone ever had issues with the hex nut loosening itself? this has happened with my warwick and schaller locks

any remedies or is it just a fact of life?
[/quote]
I just always check they are at least finger tight when I put the bass on. If not then finger tight will get you through the gig and then get the spanner out later.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1337071048' post='1654761']
I just always check they are at least finger tight when I put the bass on. If not then finger tight will get you through the gig and then get the spanner out later.
[/quote]

yeah I've pretty much made it a routine in-between-song check. I've used a wrench but it doesn't seem to be much more effective/ last longer than just hand-tightening them.

[quote name='ojplaysbass' timestamp='1337070863' post='1654758']
separate from the button issue, but on the whole strap lock subject......

has anyone ever had issues with the hex nut loosening itself? this has happened with my warwick and schaller locks

any remedies or is it just a fact of life?
[/quote]

Never had any issues with my Warwick and hex screws but i couldn't find strap locks that would accept the hex screw. ???
I now use "Strap-Lok" over button style which is a retro that fits onto your existing strap. Preety good and safe too.

Dave

Dave

It's funny really that these products are so popular, I use them myself, but the most effective system I have ever used is the little rubber grommit from a Grolsch bottle! A fraction of the price of the Schaller ones, they don't come loose and you get two free bottles of beer per set! They do need replacing every so often though, which means more beer. :)