Why become a member? ×

3 cabinets - Good idea/ Bad idea ?

Dazzlovski

Hi guys/gals
This may seem a dumbass question to some, so apologies in advance.

I'm currently using two Aguilar 12" + tweeter cabinets, powered by my TC Electronic RH750 amp head.
Very portable, plenty loud enough for me and the combination seems to compliment my basses well.

Here's the thing.
It's not a tall "stack" by any means, and even when I have it perched upon my isolation pad it's not providing much of a monitor for me because its quite low.
Would simply adding a third cab to the stack solve my problem, or just create other issues with power output or impedance?
The TC amp only has one speaker output therefore I'm daisy-chaining already, so common sense tells me "no problem".....

Would I have to alter the impedance of the two existing cabinets to accommodate No3 ?

Comments welcomed.

Daz

:-)

Edited by Dazzlovski

Sorry Alec, you are wrong.

The TC RH750 is good down to 2.67ohms (look at the online user manual), so it is good with 3 x 8ohm cabs. I tried this with my Bergantino cabs and it worked well.

That is why TC created a stir when they claimed that you could link 3 of their cabs but not anyone else’s. Obviously it was marketing smoke and mirrors.
[font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font]

The RH750 has a minimum load of 2.668 ohms, so connecting three speakers [i]shouldn't[/i] be a problem.

I say 'shouldn't' because the 8 ohm figure is a nominal one, so it's just possible you'll run into problems.

Edit: Beaten to it as well!

Edited by Musky

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1336677882' post='1649470']
Another Q here. slightly off topic, but still TC related. See how the RH450 was measured putting out 236 watts at 4Ω, what wattage is it at 2.7Ω?
[/quote]
No idea, but given that TC reckon there's only 11w difference between 8 ohm and 4 ohm I'd chance an arm and suggest... not a lot!

Even more curiously, the RH750 puts out the same 236w at 4 and 8 ohms. :blink:

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1336677882' post='1649470']
Another Q here. slightly off topic, but still TC related. See how the RH450 was measured putting out 236 watts at 4Ω, what wattage is it at 2.7Ω?
[/quote]

I really hope it's 450, that would be amusing :lol:

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1336678246' post='1649477']
No idea, but given that TC reckon there's only 11w difference between 8 ohm and 4 ohm I'd chance an arm and suggest... not a lot!

Even more curiously, the RH750 puts out the same 236w at 4 and 8 ohms. :blink:
[/quote]

Now that is rather odd, on both counts! 11w difference? I know watts don't equate to loudness but I thought it was roughly about 1/3 difference between 8Ω & 4Ω.

Does the RH750 achieve more volume than the RH450?

You will have no problems running 3 8 ohm cabs from an RH750. That is what they have been designed to do. I don't know about the RH450, you can look up the online user manual.

The wattage thing is old news. TC processes their signal and boosts it to 450 and 750 watts or the equivalent of those watts in loudness. The RH450 and Staccato are as loud as any 500 watt amp I've owned and the RH750 is very much louder. TC had a lot of people beating them up when these numbers came out. It didn't alter the fact that the volume coming out of the speakers connected to these amps is as loud as TC says.
[font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font]

Yep, the wattage thing has been done to death and I think even the naysayers thought they were loud.

I just thought it strange that the RH750 produces the same wattage at 4 and 8 ohms. I know the Bass Terror does the same, but that has a switch. Presumably the TC does the same thing but automatically adjusts for impedance???

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1336690502' post='1649735']
....I say go for the 3 cabs. Makes for a far more enjoyable onstage experience....
[/quote]

+1

I've got a 2 ohm compatible amp now and I'm getting a third AE112 this weekend to try the exact same 3 112 cab set up. I'm hoping for success so I can sell some of the cabs taking up space in my back room.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1336684229' post='1649611']
The wattage thing is old news. TC processes their signal and boosts it to 450 and 750 watts or the equivalent of those watts in loudness. The RH450 and Staccato are as loud as any 500 watt amp I've owned and the RH750 is very much louder. TC had a lot of people beating them up when these numbers came out. It didn't alter the fact that the volume coming out of the speakers connected to these amps is as loud as TC says.
[/quote]

I wasn't rehashing the wattage thing as I know the RH450 is a very loud little box, I was just curious about the output at 2.6Ω. Even if it is 11w more like TC say, there's still more cabs to move more air. The wattage wouldn't stop me buying one (it's lack of money that does that :yarr: ).

You've answered my other Q regarding the RH750. :)

I didn't blame TC for the watts thing; they are doing something different which doesn't fit into the current rules, because they were as loud as they said they were even though it didn’t involve the right number of watts. I didn't blame their marketing dept for pulling a fast one on the "2 of your cabs equals 3 of our cabs" sales line, but having just gone through the manual, they are still listing their amps as 4 ohm minimum load except when used with TC cabs.

That is wrong, they have admitted its wrong but they are still misleading people.

There is a section which is separate to the manual containing the corrected info (2.66R minimum load (that's 2.67 ohm)) but I don't think it's unreasonable, after a year or so, to expect them to have corrected the online manual.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1336693903' post='1649767']
Don't assume you need to plug the bottom cab in.
[/quote]

This, I used to put my 4x10 on top of my 1x15 but used the 4 only as it sounded better. Looked impressive, sounded OK and was plenty loud enough.Bloody heavy stand though. You could always build an empty box the same size as your cabs to save weight and money it wouldn't be the first time this has been done..