Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sequence of pedals ... a question

Fionn

Looking for an answer here as to what would be the best sequence in which to link my pedals, and why?

I'll be using ...

Trace Elliot SMX dual compressor
MXR M82 bass envelope filter
Marshall shredmaster distortion

I haven't used effects before, so I'm pretty clueless on the subject. Any of your gems of wisdom would be gratefully appreciated.

Ta.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1336586822' post='1648068']
Looking for an answer here as to what would be the best sequence in which to link my pedals, and why?

I'll be using ...

Trace Elliot SMX dual compressor
MXR M82 bass envelope filter
Marshall shredmaster distortion

I haven't used effects before, so I'm pretty clueless on the subject. Any of your gems of wisdom would be gratefully appreciated.

Ta.
[/quote]

I would do compressor, distortion, filter. Personally mind.

Have a play to what sounds best. Also think, for example, do want to filter your dirt? Or distort your filter?

i'd go for comp first, but if its too flat then its going to take away some dynamics from the envelope. This may be a good or bad thing depending on your settings. I prefer distortion after env but while there are 'good practice' guides, its important to swap around and see what suits your sound best. As the above poster said - do you want to filter your dirt or distort your filter? Each will sound a little different.

Remember to also consider how you are planning to use your compressor. If you rely on your own dynamics to change how your filter responds then you may want to place the compressor after the filter.

Hence, I would suggest going Distortion > Filter > Compressor, if you like playing under your filter and digging in to open it up, or just Compressor > Distortion > Filter (like me) if you like unified attack or don't use very heavy compression.

Thanks men. No strict voodoo with that then.

My envelope filter arrives today, so I'll get it all set up tonight and annoy the missus with my experiments in funk and distortion ..... yeahhhhh!

I always put distortion or synth effects first in the chain, then filters and wah's, then modulation effects like phasers, chorus etc... then lastly ambience effects like delays and reverbs. That's a common chain process which a lot of folks will follw, but mix it up and have some fun! Compressors or limiters can be used anywhere in the chain depending on what you actually want to compress. Some put it first in the chain or last. There is not right or wrong way, but you might find if you put it first in your chain the rest of your effects wil behave differently. If you go for a very squished compressor setting your other pedals might not perform as well as they could because you could be starving them of a strong input signal. You will notice this more with synth and filter effects where frequency peaks and tracking struggles.

Can I hijack this thread rather than starting a new one? Got me a bit of an expanded pedalboard in the last two weeks, the old signal chain was:

Tuner -> Octabass -> Unihorus -> SB7 -> BDDI

Now I have a compressor to tame the UniChorus, and also an [sfx] Burninator (combined fuzz anbd phaser). I was thinking on putting the compressor after the unichorus, and the Burninator after that but before the envelope filter. Does that make sense? Seems to sound OK, though I'm also thinking of compressing after the fuzz....