Why become a member? ×

building a precision bass

garry warrington

Going to put together a p bass with the help of a friend

got my head around the wiring

i want to go for a retro fat bass sound

what would be the the best tonewood for the body and neck

i have got some axes r us pickups which are decent along with a wilkinson bridge and cts pots

should i go for alder.ash or something else

Hi Garry! Your retro fat bass sound will largely be a result of which strings/pickup/electrics you go for.
There are many threads on here about body wood, and how it makes very little difference to 'tone'.

And, oh yes...
:crigon_04:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1336308820' post='1643748']
Hi Garry! Your retro fat bass sound will largely be a result of which strings/pickup/electrics you go for.
There are many threads on here about body wood, and how it makes very little difference to 'tone'.

And, oh yes...
:crigon_04:
[/quote]

what he says. But you will want to go for maple neck and alder body for the trad fender tone (or just look)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Garry, I'm one of those much maligned basschat deviants who knows damn well that he can tell the difference between an ash and an alder P-bass tone with stock pickups, still anyone is entitled to their own opinon, so i suggest you take your own council on this matter. Mind you, it's true that you can get whatever style pickups you want nowadays, and that will have a stronger influence on your sound.....

For what it's worth, my opinion is: I have 2 ash P-basses (one Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub, one that I put together) and 3 alder ones, (two Fenders (one MIJ, one MIA) and one Warmoth) with one maple fretboard, one macassar ebony fretboard and three rosewood fretboards between them. I can't tell any difference in sound between the fretboards, but traditionally rosewood is supposed to sound softer. The ash bodies definately have a little more attack and sustain and more mid-range 'honk', while the alder ones have a softer more balanced sound. I like them both, but I'd personally go for alder if you wanted the "classic" P-bass sound.

I put simple tone circuits in most of my P-basses, and I use 0.47 uf Orange Drop capacitors, and they work fine (close to stock fender 0.5 uf).

Edited by Max Normal