Why become a member? ×

How do I get the Strokes' Juicebox bass sound

PaulWarning

Woah, what a great sound. Having had the Precision/Marshall MB set-up, I`d go for the Classic Channel, Gain Boost on quite high, and the Mid Selector on the fully clockwise setting, then set bass/mid/treble to suit.

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1336138138' post='1641474']
You'd need the exact same bass, strings, amp, effects, EQ settings, compression, mixing console, playing technique etc etc. I wouldn't bother personally, find your own tone!
[/quote]
as with writing songs, start off trying to copy something then you finish with something else, hopefully, it's called inspiration or plagiarism depends how close you get

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1336138177' post='1641476']
Woah, what a great sound. Having had the Precision/Marshall MB set-up, I`d go for the Classic Channel, Gain Boost on quite high, and the Mid Selector on the fully clockwise setting, then set bass/mid/treble to suit.
[/quote]
thanks I'll give it a go, I thought there might be some sort of FX overdrive pedal in there somewhere

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1336138138' post='1641474']
You'd need the exact same bass, strings, amp, effects, EQ settings, compression, mixing console, playing technique etc etc. I wouldn't bother personally, find your own tone!
[/quote]

Plus it only works if the rest of your band sound like The Stokes.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1336146876' post='1641701']
It's a Stingray, if memory serves me well.
[/quote]

I "think" it was a jazz bass on the record, but a Stringray in the video.

I always "accidentially" get that exact sound when messing around due to the sound of my set up and P-bass stuff!

A plectrum and digging in makes a big part of the sound, makes it easier, though you can get it finger style

The sound is based on a solid amount of mids and bass and just enough treble for the growl to sing through.

Sounds clean (ie not pedals or drive) but with the gain up for it to be full and raspy

Play just behind the pickup on your p-bass (towards the bridge)