Why become a member? ×

Compression - Never really thought about it before. Until now.....

krispn

I've recently read through the post about essential effects and as I'm now in another new project I got to thinking about using a compressor!

My pedal board is certainly more rock orientated and features:
Pedal-train Mini
Toadworks Roundabout A/B loop
Loop A
Boss ODB-3
Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B (W&C)

Loop B
Fender Sublime fuzz (SL) which replaced the W&C pedal in the pic. As the SL is so huge it sits on the floor beside the pedalboard and also means I don't have to have the fuzz with me at every gig (it's not needed at every gog so that works out ok for me). This leaves space on the board where the comp would be, likely last in the chain after the dirt pedals and not connected to the A/B loop at all.

I use the ODB and W&C in channel A of the loop pedal with channel B having a the SL.

This allows me to get some 'natural overdrive' (ODB) and /or a bump/boost with the PPB - I use them together to fatten the drive or the PPB on its own to add a little extra during solo's or in some of our prog inspired mid-sections. Having them in a loop reduces the need for tap dancing on stage :) I might switch the ODB to something else but for now it stays.

Loop B is a SL which recently replaced my Pickle Pie as it wasn't a sound that worked for me in this band (but a great pedal)!

I'm currently in three bands: one which used the set up above, a pub band where my tuner and JDI are all I need and a new project which has got me thinking about using a compressor.

I always aim to play in a way that suit's the part of the song, either harder or softer depending on the feel and vibe. I'm not a slap merchant but feel that some of the bass lines I'm playing in this newer band might sound good with a little bit of the old tighten up! The bass parts are varied - simple country type things, other's have a little more groove to them. In the rock band the dirt usually negated the need for comp but as this stuff is mostly all clean (so far) and some of the bass is a little more r'n'b/electronica inspired (although you'd never tell by listening to them) I thought it might work.

I've been listening to some demo's online and like the TLC (specifically the Matt Novesky demo and how it add's a little bit of sheen to his P bass tone). Ultimately I think I'm after a compression which doesn't give huge squish but evens and 'sharpens' things ever so much. Have a listen as this is what I like.

[url="http://www.aguilaramp.com/tlc_compressor_settings.htm"]http://www.aguilaram...or_settings.htm[/url]

With that in mind I was thinking of just grabbing the TLC but I'd appreciate some views from you guys using compressors, especially if you have been through a couple and have similar requirements as I've mentioned. I've tried to outline what I like and how I'll be using it but just ask any other questions if I've not been clear. I've never used comp before so I'm a noob!

Oh and I've read through the Mega Thread on TB and the onvilabs guides. The TLC does appear to be well thought of as does the Maxon.

As ever thanks look forward to the candour!

G

There's a really good resource for compressors [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]here[/url]

I use a Markbass because the valve actually does the compressing (unlike many which just have a valve preamp coupled with a SS compressor). I looked through many on here before I shortlisted a few to try and chose the MB for me. There's some really good info on the site though, well described and impartial...

Thanks for that but I meant to add I've read through that thread and the reviews of the pedals that interest me those being the Maxon, Rothwell, MXR M87, Aguilar and Markbass.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll go check out some video reviews online :)

Edited by krispn

The Aguilar TLC is a fantastic unit and even beats my old Demeter Compulator for awesomeness. Loved how simple the Demeter was, but had some daisy chaining issues with it creating hum unfortunately. The TLC has a lot more range, variation and can also work well as a limiter on top of the compression if desired. It doesn't mess much with your main tone unless you really want it to and keeps things clean and clear.

Have put mine up for sale in classifieds though as I'm going the opposite direction to you and don't really feel the need for compression with my current set-up (my amp naturaly compresses the tone). Am sure I'll pick up another TLC later when I start doing some larger gigs again of course! :).

Hey Chris

Anything specifically that stands out for you? In the tlc clip I posted the non compressed clip at about 10sec compared to the same bit compressed, along with the little added 'shimmer' is what stands out for me.

It's hard to explain but to me a good comp will add that presence or added push without majorly affecting my tone. I play p basses mainly and would dig that little extra sparkle without using a pre amp to boost frequencies.

Hey dude :)

Most important point for me is that no matter how heavily you compress your signal, your tone will stay totally untouched. It tightens up the low end nicely too, without actually losIng any, it's a very nice effect! I keep it on all the time.

Previous units I've tried have always darkened my tone a little bit, or rolled off the low end but not this one!

Billy Sheehan swears by it. He says as he usually practices with his bass unplugged, that the amount of high to low is much less than when plugged in, so he reigns it back in with a compressor.
The result being his practice sound is nearer to what it sounds like on stage, just different in volume.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1336189693' post='1642317']
Billy Sheehan swears by it. He says as he usually practices with his bass unplugged, that the amount of high to low is much less than when plugged in, so he reigns it back in with a compressor.
The result being his practice sound is nearer to what it sounds like on stage, just different in volume.
[/quote]

Ii really don't get this at all.

I think he means Billy Sheehan prefers his bass' acoustic tone over the amplified tone so he sets his compression to match the acoustic character of his bass as much as possible when he plays live. But yeah the "the amount of high to low is much less than when plugged in" part confuses me too please do elaborate.

Edited by Ruck

The Empress Effects Compressor looks really good (as do all their pedals). Something it has that few others do is a sidechain input - allowing you to eq the sound for the compressor to work on, seems like this would increase its flexibility quite a bit. Don't know, not tried it yet though.
Steve

A sidechain on a pedal compressor is unusual, that could be very useful in recreating the masking effect you hear on records. you could put a bass drum mic into the side chain and 'duck' the bass signal out of the way of the kick to get that fat compressed record sound...
Sounds interesting!

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1336189693' post='1642317']
[/quote]

Very much this. I won't play without a compressor, I've been through all the fancy ones and ended up back with a trusty old boss cs3.
I just like the way it provides a nice, consistent, even response, adds sparkle and attack and increases touch sensitivity. I don't find any lack of dynamics at all. Any slightly negative effect on tone is so slight in a band mix as to be a non issue. But I just find its become such a part of my whole technique and sound.
If you're the sort of player to switch between fingers and thumb, harmonics and tapping etc all in the course of a song it's a really handy tool.
I leave one in my bass bag :)

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1337082246' post='1655020']

Very much this. I won't play without a compressor, I've been through all the fancy ones and ended up back with a trusty old boss cs3.
I just like the way it provides a nice, consistent, even response, adds sparkle and attack and increases touch sensitivity. I don't find any lack of dynamics at all. Any slightly negative effect on tone is so slight in a band mix as to be a non issue. But I just find its become such a part of my whole technique and sound.
If you're the sort of player to switch between fingers and thumb, harmonics and tapping etc all in the course of a song it's a really handy tool.
I leave one in my bass bag :)
[/quote]

All of this. I used to always get so fatigued during gigs as I had to play extra hard to cut through with the right authority, and is have to concentrate super hard on keeping my levels constant. When switching from aggressive finger style, to tapping, this is nigh on impossible!

Compression is always the very first process my signal has, before any actual amplification or effects. I like to start off as close to perfection as I can before I start messing with it!

Well I got my hands on a comp and I'm enjoying playing with it. Had one gig withit and a second tonight. I'll let you know how it goes but so far I have to say it's been a good addition to my board!

Thanks for the collective input!

G

Which make/model did you go for?

I had a 'duh' moment when I gigged with mine for the first time, as in 'duh, why didn't I get one of these years ago?'. I didn't have to spend time tweaking the amp and bass settings, it just gave me a really nice even tone and I could spend more time concentrating on playing.

Hey OmeDunk

Sorry for butting in but my name begins with G and I automatically replied :)

It's an Effectrode PC-2A. It's a valve comp but reminds me of a valve pre in some respects! Yeah it can do heavy squash but set at a relatively light setting it adds a nice bit of bottom and a smoothing out of the sound. It's a wonderful pedal, well built and sonically exactly what I was after. Yes it does have a 'colour' but it's VERY pleasing.

Here's a review!
[url="http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars/pc-2a-compressor-390087/review"]http://www.musicrada...r-390087/review[/url]

Edited by krispn

• 2 weeks later...

Just quick check. I read the ovnilabs site hand a lot of posts from 51m0n, but want to be
shure before I spend any money.

I want to even out the volume differences between my playing fingerstyle hand pick.
This is quite a difference because of my soft toch (fingerstyle).

So, can a compressor help me with this? And is there a specific kind of compressor I should look for, giving the goals I am striving for?