Why become a member? ×

Gibson Les Paul Oversized Bass

incubass

Has anyone tried one of these already? I think I'm in love, I have to get one... The only problem is, being from Portugal, there's no way I can try it before, and there's not much info or videos about it.

I'm a Fender guy, I have a Precision and a Jazz, both '62 reissues, and a Gretsch Broadkaster. Never put my hands on a Gibson bass before, so I just don't know what to expect...

I had one of the regular sized Gibson Les Paul basses and it was great. Very deep, rich sound, due to the mahogany body. Nice and easy to play neck, and, in its fitted case, very portable. It also attracted a fair amount of attention, as, to quote one of my friends "It just looks wrong". I suppose people thought I was a guitarist, so that`s why they talked to me :rolleyes:

[quote name='jackhammer' timestamp='1336082104' post='1640785']
Gibson make amazing instruments, not sure about basses, but in terms of guitars, far better than fender
[/quote]

ha ha ha. Can of worms opened...
Oh, and in [i]your[/i] opinion!

What draws you to it BTW?

OT Not tried an oversized LP bass but I do have one of the older LP Standard basses (non oversized) and it is a bass that sounds crap at low volumes but when cranked up to giggging volume sounds very good. It is very Thunderbird like IMO.

Gibson make amazing instruments, not sure about basses, but in terms of guitars, far better than fender
[/quote]

I spent years looking for a good Gibson Les Paul, really lusted after one, tried dozens and dozens of 'em, each and every one was a total disappointment. Ended up buying a PRS and have never looked back.

Gibson make amazing instruments, not sure about basses, but in terms of guitars, [s]far better[/s] different and more to my personal tastes than fender although a lot of people seem to like fenders more because they are very different instruments.
[/quote]

fixed. :)

I have only played 2 les pauls that weren't horrible, and one SG that i could get on with (it's an epiphone, and it is mine now) whreas my trusty strat has been my no 1 guitar for over twenty years now. I know a guy who says the exact opposite, his 74 Les Paul is unplayable to me, and my strat is unplayable for him.

I thank you, as you were.... :)

I understand the derision thing... in fact, every time I've said this bass looks amazing ended up hearing comments like: "perhaps your inner guitar player is trying to get out... :P

Anyway, it looks really well built, and since the basses I've got suit perfectly my needs for soul, funk and pop stuff, I think this one will rock out like a beast. I'll have to wait a few months before buying it, though... Summer gigs coming up!

• 1 month later...

I did get it, in the end, but it didn't satisfy me very much... Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice and well built bass, and the goldtop finish is stunningly beautiful!

The thing is, aside from the weight (which didn't really bother me - what I really care about is the tone/sound), it just didn't cut the mix as it should. I realized this at the soundcheck of a gig, when after trying all different eq settings in my M-Pulse 600, just gave up and tried to plug my Fender Jazz Bass. The difference was so big!! I had a monster tone right away... That's when I decided to return it. Maybe I'm just another type of bass guy! :)

Edited by incubass