Why become a member? ×

GK MBE 212 - Only £225 !

MarshallBTB

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1335951600' post='1638405']
cant be bad for that kind of money!
[/quote]They've been replaced, that's why the price cut on old stock. The originals garnered quite a bit of criticism for their lack of bracing, no damping, and a propensity for the hardware to come loose. It remains to be seen if the new version has addressed these issues, or if all that's changed is the grille.

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1335962592' post='1638646']
I've seen the reviews, both good and bad. For that price with the thomman return policy its worth a go.
[/quote]I agree the price is good, just be aware that these aren't holding up well over time, and that you may have issues after the warranty/return period has expired.

I've been using the MB210 combo with 115MBE cab since the end of last year. They are very loud and I often use both of them with no PA support. They produce some serious trouser flapping bass that I can really feel for first time since I had my Trace 4x12".

As for sturdiness, I have the combo sitting on top of the cab in the house with their Roqsolid covers on. On top of them is a pair of iColour 4 lights in a flight case and on top of that is a large holdall with all my leads and stands.

I'm tempted to buy a couple of 2x12"s myself for a second rig.

Arrived today, looks pretty cool in the flesh, although I might change the grill to cloth if I keep it. Only plugged in for a quick test as I'm off out but first impressions are great. Nice and clear, punchy bass. I cranked the volume and didn't get any nasty noises at all. I underestimated just how light it is as well! I'll give it a real test tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1336149965' post='1641793']
Arrived today, looks pretty cool in the flesh, although I might change the grill to cloth if I keep it. Only plugged in for a quick test as I'm off out but first impressions are great. Nice and clear, punchy bass. I cranked the volume and didn't get any nasty noises at all. I underestimated just how light it is as well! I'll give it a real test tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
[/quote]

How you getting on with the cab mate?
I love 2x12 cabs and want to get one in the near future to run with my Promethean head and this little GK just seems too good to be true!... :)

Eude

Seems the tweaked US built versions of these cabs are on the way >>
http://www.amazon.com/Gallien-Krueger-212MBE-II-Bass-Amplifier-Cabinet/dp/B007SQZLU8
I really like the new design :yarr:

Eude

It's great so far, although I'm still yet to gig with it but I don't have any worries about it keeping up with the rest of the band. I'm playing through it hours at a time in practise and it sounds great to my ears. Only niggle is the build quality, feels a little fragile but this is probably because I'm used to throwing around indestructible Peavey and TE cabs :)
I might try and get another one, not because I'd need it really, just because!

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1341410141' post='1718534']
It's great so far, although I'm still yet to gig with it but I don't have any worries about it keeping up with the rest of the band. I'm playing through it hours at a time in practise and it sounds great to my ears. Only niggle is the build quality, feels a little fragile but this is probably because I'm used to throwing around indestructible Peavey and TE cabs :)
I might try and get another one, not because I'd need it really, just because!
[/quote]

Thanks for the update mate :)
The build quality has come under fire a little, over on Talkbass anyway, but I think a bit of DIY bracing and dampening can really improve things. Bit of background here for ya >> http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179802-i-finally-got-around-to-dampening-bracing-my-laney-cab/

They've moved the production back to the US for these now, and the revamped ones look different, which is why the price is so good right now, if you want to get a matching one, you might need to act fast while they're still available...

Eude

No problem bud, I've been meaning to post a review but not had the time/been away! Yeah I've seen the threads about the bracing, at the moment I'm not too bothered as I like the sounds I'm getting although its good to have options.
I'm away at the moment but hopefully they'll still be for sale when I'm back!
Be interesting to see what the new prices are though, and if they remain cheaper than the neo range.

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1341493339' post='1719959']
No problem bud, I've been meaning to post a review but not had the time/been away! Yeah I've seen the threads about the bracing, at the moment I'm not too bothered as I like the sounds I'm getting although its good to have options.
I'm away at the moment but hopefully they'll still be for sale when I'm back!
Be interesting to see what the new prices are though, and if they remain cheaper than the neo range.
[/quote]

Based on the US pricing, I reckon they'll gone in under the NEOs, but at the original prices the first lot were at, so nearer £400 for the new MBE 212.
I've e-mithered the UK distributor asking about availability, but as usual I've not heard anything.
<rant>I rarely get any response from manufacturers or distributors in the amp business, which is really really poor.
The only folks, in my experience, who are prompt, friendly and seem to value customers and potential customers are Ashdown. It takes very little and it goes a long way... </rant>

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1341495174' post='1720016']
Based on the US pricing, I reckon they'll gone in under the NEOs, but at the original prices the first lot were at, so nearer £400 for the new MBE 212.
I've e-mithered the UK distributor asking about availability, but as usual I've not heard anything.
<rant>I rarely get any response from manufacturers or distributors in the amp business, which is really really poor.
The only folks, in my experience, who are prompt, friendly and seem to value customers and potential customers are Ashdown. It takes very little and it goes a long way... </rant>

Eude
[/quote]

That's strange, Polar are usually on the ball with replying to emails. I'll drop them one and see if they have any news. :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1341507540' post='1720277']
That's strange, Polar are usually on the ball with replying to emails. I'll drop them one and see if they have any news. :)
[/quote]

Thanks man, you were going to be my next port of call if I had no luck, what with you being "Mr GK" n'all ;)
It might just be me, perhaps a memo went out to everyone telling them not to reply to my annoying emails...
I should add, Alex at Barefaced was also fantastic with communication, like Ashdown, I ended up not going in that direction, but I should point out that he's very good at answering queries, questions etc.

Eude

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1341561796' post='1720855']
I've shot an email to them but the guy that looks after me is out of the office until Monday so I won't hear anything before then. :) I'll let ya know if he gives me any details.
[/quote]

Thanks dude, really appreciate your help :)

I've just got a reply from Polar so sorry for the bump. He says he'll send me more info when he's calmed down a bit (it's been a hectic week since he's been in France last week so he's playing catchup on emails and stuff).

Anyway, he says "[size=2][size=4]The MB800, the MBP and the mkII MB & MBE ranges are all US made. The previously existing Chinese made models will also be US made moving forward but there may still be Chinese made stock of some models available, which will filter through. People shouldn’t be concerned by the Chinese made models as they still carry the full GK warranty and sound great![/size]"[/size]

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

Thanks for the update dude!
In fact, that reminded me that I went over everyone's head and spoke to Mr. GK himself :yarr:
[i]"We are just shipping the first new versions of the MB products. The MB112 is shipping this week, the MBE cabinets are still out about 8 weeks for the US market, Europe will take another 8 weeks.
Bob"[/i]

I really like the new design on the MBE cabs ad combos, quite excited about the prospect and I've got about 4 months to save up too ;)

Cheers,
Eude

So Thom, any news from your mate at Polar?...
I see the GK website has all the new gear on it >> http://www.gallien-krueger.com/
The little 1x10 MBE Combo looks brilliant!

Also, quick question seeing you're in the know...
2 x NEO 112 II Vs. 1 x 212 MBE II (4 Ohm) - FIGHT! - Which would win, as far as volume, low end and tone goes?... ;-)

Eude

No more news other than what I quoted above. :)

The NEO would probably come out slightly on top. They're braced so they'll give a tigter low end. They'll probably be about the same in volume though. Remember that the MBE is the budget range and the NEOs are GK's premium (though they're still pretty cheap, though you wouldn't guess it just from the cab) neodymium range.