Why become a member? ×

1969 Fender Precision, does it look kosher?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130683064176?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130683064176?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619[/url]

I'm thinking of going for one of these, does it look ok to you, more experienced basschats than me?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice

Rich

I personally wouldn't dream of paying that much 'starting bid even!' for a bass from ebay without some decent provenance.

The stated "green ink proves nothing except 5 is a Precision neck & B is 1.625" nut. Photo's of date code on pots may help + if there's any info on the body in the neck pocket or cavities. Neck plates 'like that' are easily available on ebay, BTW that checks out as 1970 on guitardaterproject.org

I'm not an expert & not saying it's fake or genuine, just my opinion, it's a lot for a chance buy.

Edit: Nut size corrected.

Edited by KiOgon

If I was laying out that kind of money on a bass I'd be wanting the neck off when I arrived to collect (I'd not be paying and having the bass shipped) and I'd be going over it with a fine tooth comb... or taking a Fender 'vintage' expert with me.

However on inspection of those pics and if I was to make a call based solely on those pics, I'd say that it looks pukka vintage (the back of the neck looks very clean but that's not to say it isn't genuine), though without the pot codes and dates from the neck I'd not know if it was exactly 69.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1335458467' post='1631578']
I personally wouldn't dream of paying that much 'starting bid even!' for a bass from ebay without some decent provenance.

The stated "green ink proves nothing except 5 is a Precision neck & B is 1.5" nut. Photo's of date code on pots may help + if there's any info on the body in the neck pocket or cavities. Neck plates 'like that' are easily available on ebay, BTW that checks out as 1970 on guitardaterproject.org

I'm not an expert & not saying it's fake or genuine, just my opinion, it's a lot for a chance buy.
[/quote]
B is 1.625" (not 1.5") isn't it?

Otherwise I agree.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1335461876' post='1631650']
B is 1.625" (not 1.5") isn't it?

Otherwise I agree.
[/quote]
I beg you pardon, typing error :blink: you are absolutely right of course B)

Edit: I'll edit my post!

Edit 2: Agree with all above!

Edited by KiOgon

Thanks guys, I knew I could rely on you.

The guy selling it works at a well known northern guitar shop (not sure I can name it, is it against forum rules?), and in reply to my question below

"[size="2"]Heres a bit of a question, have you any proof of the original ownership, providence that its a kosher guitar etc? As i'm sure you are only too aware, there are many dodgy dealers, forgeries, bitsa basses put together with ebay found parts and sold as originals, and the lads from (Real name deleted ) 'a well known store, recently closed down' and all the alleged stories of their dealings in stolen and/or fake etc goods"[/size]

[size="2"]Replied[/size]

[size="2"]"Hi Rich , thanks for the message ,

I understand your concerns

the bass was bought new from a ************* music shop , B.Page and Son on Wood Street

it was bought by a local band and used throughout the 70's and 80's

it has not been used since then

the precision and some other guitars were brought in to me last week as the owner of them is almost 80 now

his nephew ( who I have also known for many years ) asked me to deal with the sale of them on behalf of his uncle

his uncle , the original purchaser , has since been in the shop and confirmed the history to me

myself and (name deleted) Mr X ; the Luthier / guitar repairman at our shop , are 100% confident the bass is totally genuine

( as are the other guitars from the same guy )

Mr X and I have both been involved in guitars for over 40 years each

hope this helps put your mind at ease

all the best "[/size]

[size="2"]I'm not sure whether knowing its being sold via a guitar shop gives me more or less satisfaction that its genuine. [/size]

[size="2"]As for the price, what would you all say was fair? Ans if anyone has something similar for sale, let me know!!![/size]

Agree with others above. Although I think its at least a 1970. Pot codes will help firm up the year, the pickups could also be dated underneath. The green numbers stated don't add up for a precision of this era.

[size=3]Pbass example (s/n 277983) with the code 529129B. Breaking up the code we get:[/size][list]
[*]
[list]
[*]5 = code for Precision Bass
[*]291 = batch or lot code
[*]2 = February
[*]9 = 1969
[*]B = 1 5/8 inch neck width (correct for a ’69 P-Bass).
[/list]
[/list]

For that money though, you'd get a nice transition decal Precision.

It's big money, and not in great condition if you look closely at the body on the pic with the guard off, and it has a replaced pot.

Personally, I'd be looking at much more guitar for this spend, plenty out there too.

Thanks again guys, its exactly stuff like this that make me so happy I've found basschat.

As a seperate thing, I have a 1983/4/5 P bass, bought off a very close friend, who bought it new, and he can't remember which year he bought it!!! So unlesss I want to remove the neck, or scratchplate to check pots, I don't know either. A little job for when I get more time.

Thanks again guys, and if any of you spot a P bass late 60s early 70s, let me know.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1335470213' post='1631828']
5 was the Precision code through most of the 1960s. In early 70s the code changed to 01. There wasn't a day date, only month and year dates.
[/quote]

I always thought that 60's/early 70's neck dates looked like this?

[attachment=106187:images.jpeg]

[center][b][size="6"]Fender Neck Codes 1962-1972[/size][/b][/center]

[left] [b][size="6"] [/size][size="4"]Fender began using a part code on necks rubber stamped on the end starting in April 1962. The Codes appear as such:[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]Example- 1 MAY 62 B[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]1 is a part code (not day of the month)[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]MAY is the month[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]62 = 1962[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]B= the nut width[/size][/b][/left]

[left][b][size="4"]The part codes are:[/size][/b][/left]

[left][b][size="4"]1- Jaguar 1962-1965[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]2-Stratocaster 1962-1965[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]3-Telecaster[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]4-Jazzmaster 1962-1965[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]5-Precision Bass[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]6-Bass 6[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]7-Jazz Bass[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]8-Musicmaster II, Mustang, Duo-Sonic II 1964-1965 22 fret 24" scale model[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]9-Musicmaster II, Mustang, Duo-Sonic II 1964-1966 21 fret 22 3/4" scale Model also found on '69 Swinger "Arrow/Musiclander"[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]10*- Coronado 1 and 2 and some 1966 Jazzmaster and Stratocaster necks[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]11-Bass 5[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]12-Electric 12 and Maverick/Custom model[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]13- Stratocaster 1966-1968, many 1966 Jazzmaster's too[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]14-Coronado 12[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]15-Jaguar 1966-1972[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]16-Musicmaster II, Mustang, Duo sonic II, and Bronco[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]17-Mustang Bass and MusicMaster Bass[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]18-Coronado Bass[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]19-Jazzmaster and Coronado 2[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]22- Stratocaster 1968-1972[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]23-Telecaster Bass[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]27-Villiager 12 [/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]28- Shenandoah 12[/size][/b][/left]
[left][b][size="4"]3/4- Musicmaster and Duo Sonic 21 fret small headstock first version 1962-early 1964 [/size][/b][/left]