Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Custom Preamp For A Sandberg

BassMan94

Hi guys

I've recently swapped my Marcus Miller for a Sandberg panther :( and wanted to are there any other preamps out there that would work with the model ? It's not a standard jazz type of thing if you know what I mean. I'll try and post it up on here so you can take a look. Don't want to sell it off 'cos I actually like it !

That's what the config looks like

Any ideas ?

Cheers

[quote name='BassMan94' timestamp='1335212622' post='1627467']
Its just id like some more control over the sound im getting, nothings wrong with them though
[/quote]

It did take me a minute to get used to the Glockenklang preamps. They are so transparent, subtle and emphasise just the right frequencies, that it is easy to think that they're not doing enough. If you want very extreme eq controls, then I guess you might need to swap it out. Personally, I've found that my Sandbergs sit in a band mix superbly well, and never seem to be lacking any guts.

Just thinking, if you haven't had the bass long it might be worth just living with it for a bit before ditching the pre. Hope this helps :D

[quote name='BassMan94' timestamp='1335212622' post='1627467']
Its just id like some more control over the sound im getting, nothings wrong with them though
[/quote]

a few of the different John East preamps will sort you. Check out bass direct have the complete range and various options, which can be had from the John East site direct.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1335213045' post='1627476']
It did take me a minute to get used to the Glockenklang preamps. They are so transparent, subtle and emphasise just the right frequencies, that it is easy to think that they're not doing enough. If you want very extreme eq controls, then I guess you might need to swap it out. Personally, I've found that my Sandbergs sit in a band mix superbly well, and never seem to be lacking any guts.

Just thinking, if you haven't had the bass long it might be worth just living with it for a bit before ditching the pre. Hope this helps :D
[/quote]

My Vigier Arpege has a Glockenklang preamp. Very transparent and subtle as you say. It took me a few weeks to get used to the idea that it was okay to boost the bass and treble eq quite a bit, at least compared to my other active basses, which usually require just a touch of eq before it is overpowering the natural sound of the bass.

Still, I can understand those that would prefer to have the option of being able to dial in obscene sub-bass or glassy highs, though I suppose you can do that using another preamp anyway.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1335213045' post='1627476']

[/quote]

This...............

The thing about pre amps...some think they don't work unless you can see/hear MAJOR tone shaping..and the East is certainly capable of that, but tbh, the extreme ranges aren't that useable IMV..
Same with MM... you can get really horrible noises from them if you add/boost everything.

I'd work on what you have for a while...settle on a passive sound if you have that option, and then switch in the pre to just liven it up a tad...that way you will have better projection
live but still not be fighting the inherrent sound of the bass.

Of course, if you don't like the core sound, then the bass isn't the one for you anyway..thats my take..!!