Why become a member? ×

New Yamaha BBs

thisnameistaken

I know Bassdirect have them in stock, don't know about Yorkshire though. I've been thinking of upgrading my BB415 to one! General opinion of them is very high, I would love to try one side by side with the 2025X to see if the ARE and IRA treatments provide any noticeable difference.

I had a BB1100s fretless years ago, my third ever bass I think it was, great little bass. I'm sure these are just as good if not better but I am old and have tendon problems now so I need to give any new bass candidate a good try first.

The 2025x is so expensive I couldn't really justify it even if the mojo injection procedures have turned them into '60s closet classics.

Was playing a 1024X in PMT Salford at the weekend, a very very nice bass, very simple and straightforward, but very well made. The 2024x is also very very nice indeed, but given that it's been more than a year since I played one of those, I couldn't give you a meaningful comparison.

If they did a 1024x or 2024x with a maple board I'd be very interested, but I can't remember seeing any BB with a maple board, so I think that's unlikely.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1334930848' post='1623660']
Only James Lomenzo's custom jobbies have the maple board.
[/quote]

I don't know whether I'm more surprised that James Lomenzo has bespoke faeces or that said faeces have a maple board!

".............. to see if the....IRA treatments provide any noticeable difference"

Good to see the terriorist turning their hands to new things and focusing less on the killing of folk. Just don't ask then to choose sides in a 'whats the best bass' style poll!
;)

I'll get me coat!

Had a noodle on one last Thursday. Typical Yamaha TBH. Great tone, the balance was spot on and the construction was rock solid. Can't fault it really. If it came to a choice between it and a yank Fender Id take the Yamaha.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1334930848' post='1623660']
Only James Lomenzo's custom jobbies have the maple board.
[/quote]
J Lo. Is there anything he hasn't endorsed?

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent a few hours trying BB1025x alongside BB425x a few months ago (I also have a BB415 at home). They both sound really good and are well made, but certain degree of higher class is noticeable in the 1025. Front of the headstock is lacquered hi-gloss, finish on the back of the neck is somewhat nicer as well, although hard to describe (both are kinda satin), the nut is made of the same material as frets and it actually does sound better on open strings and particularly harmonics, the bridge is better - not only better looking, but also feels harder when playing close to it. Might be made of denser material or maybe those angled saddles give more tension to the strings. I know I must have listened to differences in pickups and I remember hearing some, but nothing huge. The B string was equally good on both, and even slightly better than on my 415 (which isn't bad at all) - that must be due to those laminated necks. Was the 1025 worth twice the price of 425? I think it sure is worth its price, but the 425 is more of a bargain, as it's almost identical and costs just half... I'm planning to upgrade to 1025 and keep the 415 as a backup (it still will get some proper gigging time, I love its painted headstock), as I actually feel that those bridge/nut/pickups changes are actual upgrades making for a more solid, controlled and sounding instruments, and not just marketing gimmicks. Then again, I plan on getting a Hipshot bridge and a brass nut for my 415, it will probably cost me 100 squids (which is more than I paid for the bass itself :D ) and get a similar result...

Interesting review. Thanks for the insight.
[quote name='such' timestamp='1336304702' post='1643689']
I plan on getting a Hipshot bridge and a brass nut for my 415, it will probably cost me 100 squids (which is more than I paid for the bass itself :D ) and get a similar result...
[/quote]

I put a Gotoh-alike on my 415 that cost me £20 from eBay, it's great quality, I was really surprised and other than the lack of a Gotoh brand there is no difference. It made the B string a lot better.

Full review with pictures of my 415 [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/78057-yamaha-bb415/"]here[/url]

wow, that orange is exactly what I was looking for, but I only found red and black when I was buying (bought red). I'm also looking for a four string, now that HAS to be orange or vintage white :)
Cool review (and pics), thanks for that and for another bridge replacement idea :)

[quote name='such' timestamp='1336311892' post='1643804']
wow, that orange is exactly what I was looking for, but I only found red and black when I was buying (bought red). I'm also looking for a four string, now that HAS to be orange or vintage white :)
Cool review (and pics), thanks for that and for another bridge replacement idea :)
[/quote]

What about [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/175509-for-sale-yamaha-bb-424-vintage-white/page__hl__yamaha+__fromsearch__1"]this 424[/url]? Bargain.