Why become a member? ×

Sub Bass Tone

jay

Hi

I am looking for a pedal which can be used to create a real sub bass tone, nice a clean with no mid or treble what so ever. Does anyone know of a particular pedal that can be used to do this? Or is it just a case of buying an equalizer? Any recommendations would be great!

Thanks

One of two ways to get there, with a dedicated lowpass filter, like the Iron Ether Xerograph or the Moog Low Pass Filter (MF-101) or with an EQ pedal, where you would roll off all of the offending higher frequencies, such as the Boss GEB-7. Either of those lowpass filters allow for expression pedal control so you can roll the higher frequencies in and out as required, but cost more than a simple EQ pedal.

Thanks very much! I think the Roland is about £850 out of my price range! but does sound amazing! I think i'll give the the equalizer + ocatve combo a go and see if I like the sound of it, if not i'll probably have to splash out on the xerograph. Thankyou for your suggestions, any more are still welcome!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334578543' post='1617859']
Getting it out of a pedal isn't the challenge. Getting sub out of your cab is a whole other matter though.
[/quote]

That's the truth.

You'll get big floor moving bottom end from most cabs... But decent use of sun frequencies you will not.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1334594936' post='1618234']
Pedalwise, youve had the best advice possible already! If you want floor shaking lows, a cab with front ports coupled with the floor will be the way to go!
[/quote]

Hmm, port location makes no odds (unless you block it with the wall), as port output will couple with the floor from anywhere, due to large wavelengths involved. The floor can sort of act like an extension or the duct in some circumstances.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334595375' post='1618245']

Hmm, port location makes no odds (unless you block it with the wall), as port output will couple with the floor from anywhere, due to large wavelengths involved. The floor can sort of act like an extension or the duct in some circumstances.
[/quote]

We're really talking air movement and volume when we start with ports though. Big increases in volume often get perceived as more lows or more miss etc, when in fact it's more everything.

I have no doubt you can get a 4x10 loud enough to shake walls!

To get 'percieved' sub sounds you really need to be boosting around 50-60 hz and using an amp and cab that don't roll off the low lows like that too much. If you want a real sub sound... Buy a PA sub or ask the sound man to stick you in the subs and push em hard!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334595375' post='1618245']
The floor can sort of act like an extension or the duct in some circumstances.
[/quote]

Yeah that's what I mean dude :) having the cab on the floor will cause major vibration! I dont do the whole 'sub' thing myself but use this to my advantage where I can, means I can roll the Lows down on my amp and have that little bit more headroom!

Another vote for octave + EQ
My last gig I was running through a big PA, plenty of subs, I was boosting 62hz and it was shaking things off shelves :)
I've now switched my EQ pedals and will be boosting 50hz :-D

I'm messing around with the idea of producing some Meatbox clones......30hz boost anyone? :)

Si

I would prefer a low-pass filter for this, so you can progressively roll off the highs and add a peak to the lows to see just how far you want to go with it. Any Lovetone Meatball clone (Robot Factory Meatwad, 3Leaf Groove Regulator, Barge Concepts Grinder) would be up to the task as well as the pedals mentioned above. But if you are using a LPF you have to be a bit more careful with it or you'll just end up with a wall of woof.

I've found the EHX knock out pretty usefull for this task. The high fulter is almost useless in my passive p/j for any meaning full eqing but the dry and low knob have a impressive aray of available sounds when tweaked. Rolling off all high and dry's and just setting the low knob for eIther unity or volume drop or boost give's a mean dub bass tone. Playing with low and dry mix takes from a slightly more defined Subby dub sound to just adding a little warmth or bass boost to your normal sound