Why become a member? ×

Which bass amps are great value for £400ish

Shimi

Hey hey, new to bass chat :) would like some advice on a bass amp.
Thinking it may be time to update my amp. Currently have a 'rumble 60' fender amp. Not bad for the price but its frickin heavy and would like something different. Am looking to spend something around 400 quidish. Really know nothing about bass amps so can y'all please suggest amps you'd get with that sort of cash. anything must have? and also anything that i must avoid?

Cheerz

Are you looking for a head + cab or combo?

Also what do you plan to use it for? Are you looking to get into a gigging band so does it need to be man enough to compete with drummers and guitarists, or just something better quality for home use?

Edited by DirkThrust

Hi, welcome to BC!

You're asking a pretty big question. Firstly it depends on what sort of music you play and what kind of sound you're after. Ultimately it's what is going to sound best to your ears. Try as many as you can within your budget regardless of what it is. Horses for courses and that.

Are you after a half stack (seperate head and cab?) Or a combo? There always loads going on the for sale section on BC and it's worth looking into.

Hartke served me extremely well when I started and Ampegs sound great to. Trace Elliot are fantastic work horses but can be heavy.

Dan

[quote name='DirkThrust' timestamp='1334079362' post='1610648']
Are you looking for a head + cab or combo?

Also what do you plan to use it for? Are you looking to get into a gigging band so does it need to be man enough to compete with drummers and guitarists, or just something better quality for home use?
[/quote]

Yeah looking to start gigging so yeh something with some power to it. I'm looking for heads and cabs more than combos, gunna try some out this week and see where that gets me. Any personal recomendations?

If you are buying new, 400 quid won`t get you much for a head/cab. Why not try one of these Redsub 5110 combo`s? Read Neeps review here. Or get something second hand on here.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168416-another-promethean-clone/page__st__20"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168416-another-promethean-clone/page__st__20[/url]

Jez

For £400, on here, depending on what`s available, that will easily get a good giggable setup.

Hartke, Ashdown, Peavey, Trace Elliot, all should be within your reach. For myself, I would look for a 410 cab with amp head. If up against a hard-hitting drummer, or 2 loud guitarists, I`ve found single 115 cabs don`t fare too well, whereas a single 410 is usually up to the job.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1334089672' post='1610864']
If you are buying new, 400 quid won`t get you much for a head/cab. Why not try one of these Redsub 5110 combo`s? Read Neeps review here. Or get something second hand on here.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168416-another-promethean-clone/page__st__20"]http://basschat.co.u...ne/page__st__20[/url]

Jez
[/quote]

Very interesting! Will have a good look at it, thanks. I've heard a 'Hartke 4x10 XL' is pretty handy cab, watcha think?

Never owned any Hartke gear. Speaker cabs and the sound from them, is a very personal thing. Keep your eye on the for sale section on here and you could bag yourself a decent rig - eg: Trace Elliott combo, Ashdown Evo or similar for 400. If you don`t mind a bit of weight, you can pick up a bargain as most of us wimps (self included!) prefer lightweight gear.

Have a good search around this section of the forum and that should give you some ideas.

Jez

I played a gig once in a fairly big hall and the supplied backline was a Hartke 410 Transporter and a Hartke HA head, I can't recall which model. The Transporter's a lightweight on a budget version of the XL cab, so probably not as good sounding, but I really liked it. Not a lot of bottom end but clear and punchy.

I'm a fan of Hartke gear in general. If it's within your budget I don't think you'll be disappointed. As others have said, Ashdown, Peavey, Trace Elliot. The usual suspects. It's all good gear and you can buy in the classifieds on here with confidence.

Edited by DirkThrust

£400 would also get you a 2nd hand LMII & a 1/2 decent 2x10 or 1x15. I personally wouldn't go the 4x10 route (but it is down to personal taste & the narrower dispersion).

If you can push that extra £100, there's an even bigger choice.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='Shimi' timestamp='1334076349' post='1610582']
Hey hey, new to bass chat :) would like some advice on a bass amp.
Thinking it may be time to update my amp. Currently have a 'rumble 60' fender amp. Not bad for the price but its frickin heavy and would like something different. Am looking to spend something around 400 quidish. Really know nothing about bass amps so can y'all please suggest amps you'd get with that sort of cash. anything must have? and also anything that i must avoid?

Cheerz
[/quote]
I'd go for a Hartke HA3500 head with either a Hartke 4.5XL cab, or a 115XL with a 2.5XL.
That would be an awesome rig and plenty loud enough. I used to have the head and two cab option mentioned and I wish I'd never sold it.
There's a guy in the FS section selling the 115XL and 2.5XL cabs for a very decent price, you could then even get the head brand new and not be much over budget.

Here's a link to his ad:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169897-further-price-drops-trace-1048h-hartke-25xl-hartke-115xl-hartke-pro1800%3B-ampeg-portabass-112/page__hl__hartke"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169897-further-price-drops-trace-1048h-hartke-25xl-hartke-115xl-hartke-pro1800%3B-ampeg-portabass-112/page__hl__hartke[/url]