Why become a member? ×

EBay not so safe

Jazz Bass 65

I bought a Fender Jazz Bass V on Ebay, there was serious undisclosed damage to the headstock that could not be repaired.
Although the seller refunded the cost of the item he would not refund carriage/delivery cost.
Ebay have been no help whatsoever despit all the claims of secure buying.
I am £60 out of pocket over carriage/delivery costs which Ebay have failed to to tackle the seller over as he deliberately mis-sold the item.
So beware Ebay/Paypal are not as safe as they imply

I would consider that you got off lightly. Chalk it up to experience.

If something is substantially misdescribed and you paid by PayPal AND PayPal agree with you - they'll refund your full amount and you'll get to keep the item. The moral is (as above), don't send it back - by doing that you've effectively agreed to the returns terms.

Ebay is a minefield. I won't go into my horror stories but you must confirm everything with the seller before you go ahead with the deal. That said, paypal and ebay WILL eventually side with the buyer if they are seen to have complied with the seller's terms and that he himself has failed to describe the true condition of the item.

Trust me: ebay was worse, years ago. It ignored everything and trying to speak to a human being in customer support was nigh on impossible.

I spoke to someone vaguely human there once.

My sister in law traded on there for years. She had over one thousand positive feedbacks.
A month or so ago she sold one of my brother's unwanted Christmas presents to a guy in Leeds. It wasn't particularly valuable, about £30 or so. Anyway the guy that bought it reported it as being faulty and not as advertised. Consequently he got his full money back and sent her the empty box back. The item was perfect. His feedback showed that he'd done the same thing on several occasions. EBay didn't want to know, and wouldn't help her. He even left her negative feedback, totally ruining her trading on there.

You'd be surprised that a lot of people (before the economic crisis) went on holiday for two weeks. Although eBay and paypal only give 10 days to reply to issues.
Subsiquently a buyer got all his money back (putting my paypal into negative figure) and he wasn't onbliged to send it back.
When I did get back off holiday, I was more than welcome to ask the buyer to send it back...................... He neve replied to emails, neither did eBay. Or paypal.

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1334041316' post='1609850']
For all the horror stories (been there myself) E-bay is probably a lot safer than buying or selling at public auction.

Steve
[/quote]

Taking this thread as an example, it's probably easier to spot '[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]serious undisclosed damage to the headstock that could not be repaired' at a public auction than it would be buying over eBay.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334001921' post='1609539']
You sent it back before he paid for it being sent back?
[/quote]
[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1334004370' post='1609605']
If something is substantially misdescribed and you paid by PayPal AND PayPal agree with you - they'll refund your full amount and you'll get to keep the item. The moral is (as above), don't send it back - by doing that you've effectively agreed to the returns terms.
[/quote]

I'm confused... I had an experience last year whereby I bought an Overwater bass from a guy in Scotland and upon receipt it had major issues (the thread is on BC somewhere as the guy who sold me the bass eventually registered on here to 'watch' what I was doing). I could only get a refund AFTER I returned the bass to the seller (the fact that he tried to scr3w me over by denying that he received it as it had been dropped off by the courier at a neighbour's address, is a different matter) and you have never been entitled to reclaim the return postage costs.

The only way you get to keep items after a refund is if the seller simply refuses to respond to a complaint, which coincidently you can only initiate 5 or 7 days (can't remember which) after the sale ends, then you have to wait a further period of time for them to respond.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1334001921' post='1609539']
You sent it back before he paid for it being sent back?
[/quote]

This and absolutely this. It's not simply a case of [i]beware Ebay/Paypal[/i], but as much a case of [i]beware what you're doing[/i].

If you paid via Paypal, as is suggested above, you would have been able to claim the a refund of the shipping costs - and given yourself a platform for claiming any further return costs.

No payment for returns, no return - and let Paypal refund you for the remainder. Once it escalates they're normally very quick to see through sellers being obstinate around the return of damaged/mis-sold items.

I have used ebay and paypal as a seller and buyer and it has never been a problem. On the single occasion I didn't receive any goods (a cd), I went into dispute via Paypal and they got my money back in a matter of days (it was only a few quid). Personally, I think it is a case of being careful with what you are willing to bid for and what you would want to see in person before parting with cash. I look for feedback and, if it is an ebay company, I look them up on the 'net and get an sense of whether they are kosher or not. So far so good.

I also had years and years of problem-free PayPal use...

...until a couple of weeks ago when something went wrong. Never in my life have I encountered such appalling customer service. I was literally shocked. I now hate them with a passion, and the sooner their monopoly is broken, the better.

[quote name='kjb' timestamp='1334009327' post='1609741']
My sister in law traded on there for years. She had over one thousand positive feedbacks.
A month or so ago she sold one of my brother's unwanted Christmas presents to a guy in Leeds. It wasn't particularly valuable, about £30 or so. Anyway the guy that bought it reported it as being faulty and not as advertised. Consequently he got his full money back and sent her the empty box back. The item was perfect. His feedback showed that he'd done the same thing on several occasions. EBay didn't want to know, and wouldn't help her. He even left her negative feedback, totally ruining her trading on there.
[/quote]

That is a shocking disgrace.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1334043953' post='1609875']

The only way you get to keep items after a refund is if the seller simply refuses to respond to a complaint, which coincidently you can only initiate 5 or 7 days (can't remember which) after the sale ends, then you have to wait a further period of time for them to respond.
[/quote]

Yes, this! That's the way to deal with it. You need to wait it out. TBH, if it's a high value item such as a bass you probably have to put loosing the carriage down to a bad experience. As long as you get most of your money back etc.

[quote name='kjb' timestamp='1334009327' post='1609741']
I spoke to someone vaguely human there once.

[/quote]

That's why when you get a 'send back' insist on opening it in front of the post man, then if its empty get him to sign something saying so. Even better video it on your phone.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1334041820' post='1609854']
Taking this thread as an example, it's probably easier to spot '[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]serious undisclosed damage to the headstock that could not be repaired' at a public auction than it would be buying over eBay.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

So long as they allow a close inspection and you're bidding in person agreed. Not always the case.

Steve

eBay customer support have been rubbish and most annoying, you get replies to 1% of what you've written and loads of replies to nothing you've written.
eBay have even claimed that the seller has refunded the original carriage cost when all the seller has refunded the cost of the item.
You never get a direct reply to what you have written.
It is a policy that they employ to wear you down.