Why become a member? ×

Gallien Kruger

AMPEG

I've noticed there are two ranges of GK speakers one is called Neo and the other MBE,as both are equipped with neodynium speaker and the 212 versions both are 600watt and available in 4 or 8 ohms. The NEO range is more expensive but how do the two versions compare?

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1333891391' post='1607783']
They're very similar, the NEO range is built to a slightly higher quality. Things like bracing and bi-amp compatability are missing from the MBEs to cut costs and make them cheaper cabs.
[/quote]

I've been after a new rig for some time and have pretty much narrowed it down to a GK MB500 - but I can't decide on the cabs.
My budget could just stretch to the NEOs, but are they really going to offer me that much over the MBEs? I've done quite a bit of research on here and Talkbass and there seems to be a bit of a bias against the MBE cabs on there, lots of people onsider them badly made and not to sound too great.
Of course, with the MB500 head I won't have any use for the bi-amp feature - in fact the horn will probably just stay off anyway.

The production of the MBE cabs was in the far east somewhere initially, and there have been some QC issues, but GK have moved production back to the US so in the next couple of months US made MBE cabs will start appearing, probably for a slightly higher price, but might be worth waiting?...

Eude

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1334322512' post='1614506']
I've been after a new rig for some time and have pretty much narrowed it down to a GK MB500 - but I can't decide on the cabs.
My budget could just stretch to the NEOs, but are they really going to offer me that much over the MBEs? I've done quite a bit of research on here and Talkbass and there seems to be a bit of a bias against the MBE cabs on there, lots of people onsider them badly made and not to sound too great.
Of course, with the MB500 head I won't have any use for the bi-amp feature - in fact the horn will probably just stay off anyway.
[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with the MBEs, you want to take what people on TB say with a pinch of salt, they seem a bit more vulnerable to spouting hearsay, rumour and opinions as fact than most.

The MBEs are made to a cheaper price point than the NEOs, that's no surprise. There also has been a few dodgy ones slip through but they're the extreme minority, I wouldn't worry about buying an eastern one if you fancy it. Lots of people swear that cabs without bracing are useless then don't listen to the actual cabs. Try looking them up on here and finding the opinions of people that actually use the MBEs and not just people that have had 2nd/3rd hand information. :)

It might be worth giving Polar Audio a buzz and seeing if you can nip over and try them out. A couple of hours each way on the road isn't a huge price to pay when you're spending hundreds on cabs.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1334324520' post='1614572']
There's nothing wrong with the MBEs, you want to take what people on TB say with a pinch of salt, they seem a bit more vulnerable to spouting hearsay, rumour and opinions as fact than most.

The MBEs are made to a cheaper price point than the NEOs, that's no surprise. There also has been a few dodgy ones slip through but they're the extreme minority, I wouldn't worry about buying an eastern one if you fancy it. Lots of people swear that cabs without bracing are useless then don't listen to the actual cabs. Try looking them up on here and finding the opinions of people that actually use the MBEs and not just people that have had 2nd/3rd hand information. :)

It might be worth giving Polar Audio a buzz and seeing if you can nip over and try them out. A couple of hours each way on the road isn't a huge price to pay when you're spending hundreds on cabs.
[/quote]

+1
I'm pretty sure any of the duff MBE cabs are few and far between.
Defo worth giving them a shot.
I'm looking to invest in something a bit bigger later in the year, in a 1 or 2 x 12 setup and the MBE212 is definitely on my list...

Eude

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1334324520' post='1614572']

[/quote]

That's very helpful, I know you know your GK stuff. I do try to have the BS detector on whenever I'm on Talkbass, but when there's so many negative opinions being thrown about it's hard not to be a little concerned. That was the other aspect of the MBEs that lots seem to take offence at, the lack of bracing. I'm not even completely celar what this is or is supposed to do but as you are probably aware there are entire threads on TB about modifying an MBE cab to make it sound better.

I will have a look into going to Polar Audio. I did intend to get the cabs from Thomann and take full advantage of their 30 day return policy, as I rarely get a true feel for a cab or amp until it's been played at volume in a band setting.

I'm sure someone will be able to explain it better, but a bass cab vibrates with the frequencies and a sturdier cab vibrates less. Bracing is basically there to stop it vibrating as much. Loads of budget cabs don't have it as it's a way to save money and your average punter will never have even heard of bracing. With that in mind though, it lets them use better components on the rest of the cab whilst keeping the price down.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say that the MBEs aren't good value for money, but they are the budget end so they don't have all the bells and whistles that the NEOs have (though they're incredibly cheap for the quality IMO). The lack of bracing is the biggest "problem", that's why there are people modding them rather than just buying new cabs. If they were bad cabs, people wouldn't bother. :)

Good point, rarely do people modify something that is absolute rubbish, usually, it`s just adding improvements to something that is either already good, or has the potential to be made much better without too much cost/effort.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JJMacL' timestamp='1335114579' post='1625953']
I've only got tuppence - but here it is .....that the Neo 212 II is a fantastic cab. I'm using it with a GK 500 Fusion MB and if I could have 2 I would. In fact, I probably will. One day. Woah! There goes the gas....
[/quote]

Do eeeeet! That's the rig I use for most of my gigs, absolutely awesome. You can really feel that extra cab.

• 1 year later...

I have an MBE410-II 4ohm arriving today! I will be pairing it with an Ampeg SVT3 Pro and a USA Fender precision. I will be back to report on how it sounds!

UPDATE - Used it at a very loud rehearsal yesterday. In a word - awesome. The cab itself is really light and i can carry my bass case in one hand and the cab in the other when loading.

The combination of the bass, head and this GK cab produced some amazing tones and volume! I couldnt be happier with this cab. Highly recommended.

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1334322512' post='1614506']
[/quote]

Ben

I had the opportunity to play through an MBE212 and MB500 head a couple of years back, and it sounded brilliant. In fact i think I was using the SR700 that your friend bought from me. The MBE212 was clear, loud, and didn't vibrate nastily at all.

That was one of the Mk1 MBE cabs, which have been replaced by the MK2 now. I believe these are USA made, and have a different look to them - but the basic internals are the same. According to Talkbass that is.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1385315135' post='2286782']
I'm kicking around the idea of going with a G-K MB500 head, and a G-K 212MBE-ll cab. Any thoughts? I'd be running a Fender PBass through it. No pedals etc., just the PBass.
[/quote]

Assuming the Mk 2 cabs are tonally similar to the Mk1 versions, and you like that tone, then I don't think you will be wanting for much volume wise. There are 4 and 8 ohm versions of these cabs, the one I tried was the latter and was more than loud enough, and will give you the option of expanding with another cab should you need it. I guess it depends where or how you play.

As always, try before you buy if possible.