Why become a member? ×

somebody buy this before I sell a vital organ

rubis

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Wal-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-fabulous-/120890082311?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c259c4407"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Wal-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-fabulous-/120890082311?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c259c4407[/url]

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1334090293' post='1610879']
Pretty good price for an ugly Shergold copy
[/quote]
BOOOOOOO!!!!!!! You is a baaaad mouth!!
Wal is beautiful thing

.[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1333572085' post='1603847']
God, I hate Wals, ugly and over-rated.
[/quote] Wayne........WAAAAYNE!!!!!! OUTSIDE, NOW!!!!!!

It's all in the touch of the player...not suited to plectrum-pounding punk.

Sorry leftyhook, I've been misunderstood!
It was a poor attempt at irony, I am a huge fan of Wal basses, in fact I will tell you a sad story.
I come from Seaham originally and was an apprentice during the miner's strike. At that time I owned a burgundy Rick and a fretless Aria ( might have been an SB1000) I didn't like either of them so just as the strike was ending in spring 84 I sold them and bought a fretless Wal exactly like this one

[attachment=104802:W2330.jpg]

[attachment=104803:W2330-1.jpg]

Then in 1989 I left the promised land after making the only move I've regretted in life, I traded the Wal for a strat and a Vox in that shopat the bottome of Mobray Park (King's Music?)

WHAT A TW**

I miss that Wal more as I get older but there's no way I could afford one now
So if you see someone playing one like that around the toon, ask him whiere he got it from, it might be my old one.

All the best bonny lad

Edited by rubis

Bonny Lad? That's a Geordie term! u-u-g-h...

Kings Music...wasn't that in Blandford street?

All I can say is, I have tried 5 Wal basses. All played amazingly.
Tried around 20 Precision and Jazz basses. Some decent, some good, but mostly very average.and vastly overrated.
Weird how, for such worshipped basses, it's best to 'try before you buy' and "this MIM is better than that USA" etc etc...
My Wal was ordered with my choice of woods. It arrived at the front door. I took it out of the case,and I just knew it would be sublime. It was, and still is 28 years later.

I

Nice one, yours is about the same age, post a pic of it, just to make me feel really sick.
I remember mine arrived for some reason separately from the case. It was in a molded block of polystyrene inside a big cardboard box in the early part of the year, freezing outside but the neck was straight as an arrow and it was still in tune (well the open strings were!)
To try to console myself I've started building a Blingray, that is a Stingray style bass but in the stlye of a Wal. It will have a walnut core instead of mahogany, then cherry veneers front and back, then claro walnut facings and I might make the arm and tummy contours more like a Wal. The neck is a maple and walnut laminate like a Wal, but as you cannot get Wal like electronics I've done it in the shape of a Stingray (my second favourite bass) and got Stingray hardware
I hope it might ease my troubled mind!
all the best mackem
Harry

Shedua, nice.
I've a one piece body blank of Tambooti, what a name, and was going to build a 5 string using all African woods....Shedua/Ovankol facings and a Wenge neck, but read bad things about splinters from Wenge.
Does your Warwick have a Wenge neck?