Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for new 5-string ~£1000-£1500

Blondino

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1333531365' post='1602848']
You could always take a look at a s/h Dingwall ABZ :-) Light, has a 35 inch string somewhere as well :-)
[/quote]

Have been toying with that idea for a while. Great looks and amazing tone. I just wonder if my girly hands can cope really with all that stretching on the bottom strings ;)

I presume the Bass Gallery is not a million miles from you? :D [quote name='Blondino' timestamp='1333531738' post='1602856']
Have been toying with that idea for a while. Great looks and amazing tone. I just wonder if my girly hands can cope really with all that stretching on the bottom strings ;)
[/quote]

God, how long's a piece of string? Personally, I'd go for a 5 string P with a P-Retro.

If I were you, I'd go out and try as many as possible. Seems you're restricting yourself with a 35" scale length, when really the reach depends on how long the top horn is and where the strap buttons are. If you're after a 35" because of the tone, you'd be amazed at how different luthiers are creating spectacular 5ers with great B's on even 32" scale! I'd put an ad out asking for BCers in your area if you could come round and try their basses. Then you might get a better idea of what you'd like! Or rather, what you don't like.

Personally, I'd try and grab a Roscoe with that sort of budget. Not traditional looking, but certainly not too over the top. Great tone, tend to be fairly lightweight and they are just so comfy! I prefer the looks of the SKB's, but the Century stds are pretty special too! Maybe email Mark @ Bassdirect and ask if you can go to Leamington and try some shizzle out? He's a very helpful guy and will be able to point you in the right direction.

Truckstop

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1333532020' post='1602863']
I presume the Bass Gallery is not a million miles from you? :D
[/quote]

They're not, but I get a weird vibe from that shop. I think it stems from the time when I walked in with a normal guitar. Ever since they've looked at me like some kind of charlatan. ;)

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1333532153' post='1602866']

Personally, I'd try and grab a Roscoe with that sort of budget. Not traditional looking, but certainly not too over the top. Great tone, tend to be fairly lightweight and they are just so comfy! I prefer the looks of the SKB's, but the Century stds are pretty special too! Maybe email Mark @ Bassdirect and ask if you can go to Leamington and try some shizzle out? He's a very helpful guy and will be able to point you in the right direction.

[/quote]

I've heard a lot of good things about Roscoes. Seems like my options are gradually being whittled down. i.e. Arrange a trip to Bass Direct. Thanks for all the info.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1333531365' post='1602848']
You could always take a look at a s/h Dingwall ABZ :-) Light, has a 35 inch string somewhere as well :-)
[/quote]

This. Best 5er I've played recently is the Dingwall Super J. Loads of tones, fanned frets make it easy to play and it's very light. Build quality second to none, too. May stretch your budget a little, but very worth it!

Edited by discreet

Definitely go for a used bass, you'll get far more bass for your money.
I got my Sei for just about your budget, and I doubt you'll get a better 5 string jazz for the money.

The Gallery would be my first port of call.

And you really can't find a better selection than the used section on here. There's a nice sadowsky for sale at the moment.

Edited by kjb