Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

Hamster

It just dropped through my mailbox,

Stanley Clarke, Jonas Hellborg, John Myung, Alan Davey and Ric Fierabracci interviews.

Aguilar DB750 amp & GS410 cab reviews.

Plus how to play if afflicted with gout.

I'm off to put the kettle on..........

Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='18212' date='Jun 15 2007, 12:36 PM']It just dropped through my mailbox,

Stanley Clarke, Jonas Hellborg, John Myung, Alan Davey and Ric Fierabracci interviews.

Aguilar DB750 amp & GS410 cab reviews.

Plus how to play if afflicted with gout.

I'm off to put the kettle on..........

Hamster[/quote]

Hopefully my copy will be on the doormat too - can't wait to get home from work. Don't think there'll be quite as much practicing from me this weekend somehow!
:)

Edited by Krysbass

From what I've read so far, it looks pretty good. Shame the proof reader missed Steve Lawson's column heading still referring to tapping chord extensions when this month's lesson is about syncopation.

Also, there still seems to be a lack of communication between whoever does the "new gear" bits and the reviews as there's a full review of the new vintage ESP, followed a few pages later by a section about ESP's new range including the bass you've just read about.

Overall though, it's improving month by month.

Good news on Stu's new Stu Hamm book being nearly ready for release too :) Any idea on a price yet Mr C?

Cheers,
Alun

Ignore me, just found the answer on your site. For anyone else who's interested, more info here...

[url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com/stuhamm.html"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com/stuhamm.html[/url]

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='SJA' post='18258' date='Jun 15 2007, 01:32 PM']John Myung again?

think I'll give this issue a miss, like the last one.[/quote]

+1. Articles about Myung really don't interest me, much like his playing. Each to his own though I suppose!

Is it me or is Mr Myung about the most tedious, boring and plain unelightening virtuoso interviewee out there? Having read his interview twice now the only way I could find anything he says interesting is to rip the page out, fashion it into an origami water bomb and throw it someone. I mean, aaarrrggghhh!, surely they've got a cliche editor or something....

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='19295' date='Jun 17 2007, 08:49 PM']Is it me or is Mr Myung about the most tedious, boring and plain unelightening virtuoso interviewee out there? Having read his interview twice now the only way I could find anything he says interesting is to rip the page out, fashion it into an origami water bomb and throw it someone. I mean, aaarrrggghhh!, surely they've got a cliche editor or something....[/quote]

I say thats a bit harsh ! he speaks very highly of you !

:)

[quote name='Alun' post='19254' date='Jun 17 2007, 08:00 PM']Ignore me, just found the answer on your site. For anyone else who's interested, more info here...

[url="http://www.basslinepublishing.com/stuhamm.html"]http://www.basslinepublishing.com/stuhamm.html[/url]

Cheers,
Alun[/quote]

Thanks for the mention Alun! The book should be out by now, but has been delayed by two things. First is a licensing issue that should get resolved very soon, the second is the fact that Stuart (Hamm) has offered to check the transcriptions himself, so that's what's happening at the moment.

Good news is that it should be out in late July, and the first 20 copies will be signed by Stu.

I'll mailshot everyone on my mailing list, and post here (if I'm allowed) once it's available.

Cheers
Stu

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='19295' date='Jun 17 2007, 08:49 PM']Is it me or is Mr Myung about the most tedious, boring and plain unelightening virtuoso interviewee out there? Having read his interview twice now the only way I could find anything he says interesting is to rip the page out, fashion it into an origami water bomb and throw it someone. I mean, aaarrrggghhh!, surely they've got a cliche editor or something....[/quote]

Much like his playing, he seems to be a modest guy. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Anyways, I'm surprised Gibson keep sending BGM stuff to review. I don't think I've ever seen a Gibson bass get more than a 3 star rating. I really liked the "Aches and Pains" article. I've been having a bit of lower back problems from carrying my gear around London. Osteopathy sounds life fun... :)

Stanley Clarke interview is good. But does anyone else think they could do with more exercises/transcriptions? They have 2 months to write the bloody thing. The American bass magazine i sometimes buy normally has a couple of song transcriptions and just as many exercises if not more as BGM, and it's monthly. Is it a lack of contributors?

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='20519' date='Jun 19 2007, 11:52 PM']Anyways, I'm surprised Gibson keep sending BGM stuff to review. I don't think I've ever seen a Gibson bass get more than a 3 star rating. I really liked the "Aches and Pains" article. I've been having a bit of lower back problems from carrying my gear around London. Osteopathy sounds life fun... :huh:[/quote]
Yeah, that was good. Chiropractic care has transformed my left arm from a (random) jibbering wreck of pain into perfection. Osteopathy is more about muscles, chiropractic is about the bones and alignment, therefore allowing the nerves the room to operate correctly. And it all helps :)

[quote name='bassfunk' post='20700' date='Jun 20 2007, 12:22 PM']Stanley Clarke interview is good. But does anyone else think they could do with more exercises/transcriptions? They have 2 months to write the bloody thing. The American bass magazine i sometimes buy normally has a couple of song transcriptions and just as many exercises if not more as BGM, and it's monthly. Is it a lack of contributors?[/quote]

We'd all like to see more transcriptions in the mag, and there are several writers, myself included, who are more than up for doing them. The problem is print licenses are very expensive, and mean that they can't happen in every issue. Bear in mind that the US bass mag is run by an enormous company that is undoubtedly more able to do such things.

One of the reasons for revamping the columns last year was to get more music into the mag in a different way. While they may not feature all your favourite riffs, there's plenty of musical content - Steve Lawson has looked at a variety of interesting melodic applications, Dave Marks has covered several different musical styles, and my column provides some ammunition for general improvisation.

Stu

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='20991' date='Jun 20 2007, 08:06 PM']We'd all like to see more transcriptions in the mag, and there are several writers, myself included, who are more than up for doing them. The problem is print licenses are very expensive, and mean that they can't happen in every issue. Bear in mind that the US bass mag is run by an enormous company that is undoubtedly more able to do such things.

One of the reasons for revamping the columns last year was to get more music into the mag in a different way. While they may not feature all your favourite riffs, there's plenty of musical content - Steve Lawson has looked at a variety of interesting melodic applications, Dave Marks has covered several different musical styles, and my column provides some ammunition for general improvisation.

Stu[/quote]

you know they put MP3 files up on the website, would it be possible to also put guitar pro files of the lessons and transcriptions as well, then people could play them back at a tempo they want to use and selectively mute various instruments. Using guitar pro files doesn't necessarily require the reader to possess guitar pro, you can play them back just as well and edit them using Tux Guitar

[url="http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/"]http://www.tuxguitar.com.ar/[/url]

cross platform (uses Java and there are downloads available for windows, OSX and Linux)

Okay three things I'd like to see in BGM:
[list=1]
[*]Blind comparisons - seriously! Go on, blindfold a reviewer and give him a Squier, MIM, MIJ & MIA (or any variations) and lets have a shootout where you don't know what you've got!
[*]Reader's wives. No not that, but why not feature one of the readers and their kit for a change? Some (not all) of the celeb interviews are so dull and uninformative that I reckon regular Joes would be just as interesting.
[*]A review with less than 3 stars. It's almost as if they are afraid to do it for fear of annoying the advertisers. The Gibson SG review is a good example I reckon
[/list]For what it's worth, I am a subscriber and I really like the mag so I'm not dissing it - just making some suggestions.

[quote name='elom' post='21132' date='Jun 20 2007, 11:44 PM']Okay three things I'd like to see in BGM:[list=1]
[*]Blind comparisons - seriously! Go on, blindfold a reviewer and give him a Squier, MIM, MIJ & MIA (or any variations) and lets have a shootout where you don't know what you've got!
[*]Reader's wives. No not that, but why not feature one of the readers and their kit for a change? Some (not all) of the celeb interviews are so dull and uninformative that I reckon regular Joes would be just as interesting.
[*]A review with less than 3 stars. It's almost as if they are afraid to do it for fear of annoying the advertisers. The Gibson SG review is a good example I reckon
[/list]For what it's worth, I am a subscriber and I really like the mag so I'm not dissing it - just making some suggestions.[/quote]

I've sent all this to the powers that be...

Stu

I really like the idea of blind reviews. Even any subconscious favouritism towards a brand would go out of the window in this scenario and it would be a true test of the playabiliy/sound/feel of the instrument minus any kind of opinion based on look/logo etc. I reckon it would throw up some interesting results too.

You know it makes sense.

peace

c

[quote name='elom' post='21132' date='Jun 20 2007, 11:44 PM']Okay three things I'd like to see in BGM:[list=1]
[/list]For what it's worth, I am a subscriber and I really like the mag so I'm not dissing it - just making some suggestions.[/quote]

+1 to all of this. I used to really enjoy the "My Bass is" feature in the old Bassist Magazine, (but leaving out the dodgy poses). I find the gear and experiences of amateurs and semi pros more interesting than just reading about celebs all the time.

These days the gear market is so competitive I think it'd be unlikely to see a piece of gear get a really bad review, although the aforementioned Bassist did once give an Ampeg rig a real good slagging.

All in all though a good mag. I read it from cover to cover the day I get it

[quote name='PaulMartin' post='21578' date='Jun 21 2007, 08:35 PM']+1 to all of this. I used to really enjoy the "My Bass is" feature in the old Bassist Magazine, (but leaving out the dodgy poses). I find the gear and experiences of amateurs and semi pros more interesting than just reading about celebs all the time.

These days the gear market is so competitive I think it'd be unlikely to see a piece of gear get a really bad review, although the aforementioned Bassist did once give an Ampeg rig a real good slagging.

All in all though a good mag. I read it from cover to cover the day I get it[/quote]

While it's true that a lot of gear is reviewed at 3 stars and above, it's largely the case the most things are pretty well made and are good value for money. There are exceptions of course, and I think I'm right in saying that there have been a few 2 star reviews in the past.

Stu