Why become a member? ×

Another Music Pub Bites The Dust

Mykesbass

Kings Head in Burgess Hill, West Sussex had its last band night last night and is closing to become a block of flats :( Never played there but went as a punter a couple of times. Real shame as they had music every Friday and Saturday and nowhere else has full bands - a couple of others do acoustic/duos etc.

Will be playing the last gig at the Terminus in Hailsham in a couple of weeks before that closes to become a furniture showroom!!

Edited by Mykesbass

How do they get change of use..???

We have a few places round here that were up for sale..and people were interested in them as a nice house-buy and they were cheap for that, considering what a place that size would normally cost,
But they couldn't get the conversion of use, AIUI.

They are still trading as pubs and we hear stories of pubs going all the time. There are stil new music pubs starting up though...on the basis that turn-over is turn-over and not a complete dead-night...??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1333299303' post='1599714']
How do they get change of use..???

[/quote]

I guess it is down to the council being under pressure to supply new homes - I know mid sussex has quite a high target (set by governmnet) something like 9,000 new homes over the next few years. Not sure how the Hailsham pub got permission but it was one of teh Greene King cull.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1333298020' post='1599695']
....Kings Head in Burgess Hill, West Sussex had its last band night last night and is closing to become a block of flats....
[/quote]

We played there 2 weeks ago. The evening started well when the landlord tried to pick a fight with one of the punters! He didn’t want to kick him out, just wanted a fight in the bar!

I know we need as many gigs as we can get but this one really didn't have much to commend it!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1333410291' post='1601457']
We played there 2 weeks ago. The evening started well when the landlord tried to pick a fight with one of the punters! He didn’t want to kick him out, just wanted a fight in the bar!

I know we need as many gigs as we can get but this one really didn't have much to commend it!
[/quote]

Wow.... now I think we are really picky with the pub dates but this is ridiculous.
Basically if we don't like the pub or landlord or space or anything else, we don't do the place but this is whole new level :lol: :lol:.

Pubs are also changing landlords pretty quickly these days but how this guy could get a post, I don't know..!!

Yeah we played the Kings Head in Buggers Hill a few times, the landlord was a complete a**hole. The first time we played there he said we had to finish by midnight because of noise restrictions, so we ended the set at quarter to, and did one encore taking us to 11.50. When we went to get paid he said he was docking us £10 because we finished 10 minutes early! So we added £20 to our fee the next time we played there :)

They had us booked in another 4 or 5 times this year too, which of course have now been cancelled. but that place has had problems for years apparently, lots of violence etc. I did like it for the size of stage area (not raised but large enough) and the fact it was 10 mins drive from my house, but it was a bit of a hole really.

What band are you in then Mykesbass? we are probably playing a lot of the same places!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1333410291' post='1601457']
....I know we need as many gigs as we can get but this one really didn't have much to commend it....
[/quote]

....except the lights. They had a great lighting system for the bands. I'd love to have that away!!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1333304061' post='1599804']
....it is down to the council being under pressure to supply new homes - I know mid sussex has quite a high target (set by governmnet) something like 9,000 new homes over the next few years....
[/quote]

I think the new 10 year plan has just been approved and the emphasis is on using brown field sites. I think Kent has a target of 3000 homes, so that makes the Sussex total very high.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1333464044' post='1602060']
I think the new 10 year plan has just been approved and the emphasis is on using brown field sites. I think Kent has a target of 3000 homes, so that makes the Sussex total very high.
[/quote]

The figures for Mid Sussex alone is now 10,600, down from 17,000 - that's just Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath and East Grinstead plus the surrounding countryside and villages!

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1333462859' post='1602035']
Yeah we played the Kings Head in Buggers Hill a few times, the landlord was a complete a**hole. The first time we played there he said we had to finish by midnight because of noise restrictions, so we ended the set at quarter to, and did one encore taking us to 11.50. When we went to get paid he said he was docking us £10 because we finished 10 minutes early! So we added £20 to our fee the next time we played there :)

They had us booked in another 4 or 5 times this year too, which of course have now been cancelled. but that place has had problems for years apparently, lots of violence etc. I did like it for the size of stage area (not raised but large enough) and the fact it was 10 mins drive from my house, but it was a bit of a hole really.

What band are you in then Mykesbass? we are probably playing a lot of the same places!
[/quote]

I think you're refering to Bob which was a tricky B@sst#!@!! he used to aggree a fee and then pay you whatever he thought was appropiate.

That was just a recent phenomenom only present when the pub started going downhill. I've been drinking there for the last 9 years and I never saw a fight until recently. The last good landlord was Phil, not the smoothest of guys but he loved live music and he is a bassplayer too.

BTW guys the Brewers Arms and the Cricketers are trying to take the KH place now. You can go around and drop a card if you're looking for bookings.

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1333531719' post='1602855']
I think you're refering to Bob which was a tricky B@sst#!@!! he used to aggree a fee and then pay you whatever he thought was appropiate.

That was just a recent phenomenom only present when the pub started going downhill. I've been drinking there for the last 9 years and I never saw a fight until recently. The last good landlord was Phil, not the smoothest of guys but he loved live music and he is a bassplayer too.

BTW guys the Brewers Arms and the Cricketers are trying to take the KH place now. You can go around and drop a card if you're looking for bookings.
[/quote]

Yeah that sounds about right. To be honest we enjoyed playing there and there was never any trouble when we were there, except for the landlord.
Thanks, will check out the Brewers and the Cricketers. Are you gigging in the area too? whats your band...?