Why become a member? ×

What should I do?

LukeFRC

So...
Last year I tried to buy a jazz bass,
I bought a couple and then sold them quite quickly as they were not 'me'. There was a cimar I really really regret buying to do up for a friend too- when I say regret, I mean I regret giving him it!

But eventually decided that I don't need 3 basses and am quite happy with the warwick streamer and the JV P bass.

The streamer especially is brilliant, and feels and sounds good. I stuck a set of barts and a glockenklang pre in there over christmas. The pups are amazing- the pre worked less well.

So the plan is to save the pennies and stick a new pre in there- with the ACG-01EQ in sight. But then part of me wonders if I would be happier with just the original 2 band? would the complexity annoy me after a while? Probably not, but it's a good question to ask. But I'm hesitating before blowing that much on a new bit of kit.
(Actually the first bit of kit bar strings and strap locks I will have ever bought new and at full price)

Yesterday I went into a music shop I went into about 9 months ago. Then I went into try the roadwork jazz bass which was getting such good reviews on here. Well I tried that, and actually most jazz basses in all the shops in the city in that period- and one stood out as the best by a long way- A 1980-81 Tokai Jazz sound- with a schaller 3d bridge added.

Well yesterday, 9 months on I went back to the same shop- and tried it out again... and it's still great. It's not in perfect condition- it's not amazingly brilliant construction- but boy does it sound the part and feels amazing in my hand too. Effortless to play. Downside is it's listed at £550 - they may be open to bargaining but prob not.

Part of me wants to use the preamp money to buy it. I don't have the space for too many so something would have to go (probably a 6string guitar) but I don't know.
If I did buy it the original pre would go in the warwick- and at some point in the future I would build my own filter preamp in a box- I couldn't for the life of me design something like the ACG pre but a filter at a higher voltage I could do.

Thoughts? advice? or brilliant tokai you want to sell me for cheap? :D

Personally I'll always need a jazz style bass, they're completely indispensable for what I do. If you're saying that you've never got on with jazz basses then maybe you don't need one. EDIT I agree with Clarky, sounds like you've made up your mind. Just do it

Edited by risingson

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1333311457' post='1599971']
If its been there at least 9 months maybe they'll entertain offers?
[/quote]

it's worth asking, and there's a fella on the forum with one too (for a bit less)
I love jazzes- I guess I question why I would need 3 basses, and sticking the ACG in the streamer and giving it the tonal flexibility to be an uber bass.... I guess i'm being cautious of spending money on another bass when in reality I can only play one at a time, and the upcoming move will mean more things to lug about- and mean I won't be playing for a while till I find new folk to play with....

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1333316913' post='1600090'] Try and knock them down a bit, but my thoughts are similar to the others, that bass has been playing away in your brain for 9 months now, you`ll regret it if you don`t buy it. [/quote]
yeah i have that feeling... be a bit of a change in plans! need to sort finances and stuff out... and sell something to make space I think

It sounds like you're in love with this bass, and a used instrument that's been on the shop floor for over 9 months should definitely be up for haggling!

As for the ACG, it depends on whether or not you're the type of player who is always tweaking these things. I know its not the same ballpark as far as complexity goes, but I have a couple of go-to sounds on my two active basses that I find suit most situations - I don't like the fiddling to get in the way of playing them! Obviously some people prefer that limitless tweakability and it may suit you, but if you're more "set and forget" then its a lot of dollar to throw down!

Well Basschat is amazing... it turns out the previous owner of the bass recognised it and gave me a heads up on some setup issues and deadspots that they have hidden with a high action. So for a overpriced bass it's now not one I'll be going for.
Good news is that a few other folk have sent me PM's about their tokai jazzes- so we will see!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1333433998' post='1601501']
The acg pre is pretty epic but you have no idea what it will do to the wick.

Granted you could sell it on quite easily but for that reason alone I'd be looking for a different bass instead.
[/quote]

what do you think it would do to it? :)

[quote name='ZMech' timestamp='1333492783' post='1602621']
option IV: spend some of that money on regular lessons, and work on improving the tone coming out of your fingers ;)
[/quote]
nah, my playing is fine. I've also got a 'no lessons' thing when it comes to music. Not because I'm particularly good- but because design and art is the creative form I'm trained in and HAVE to work hard at and be good at. Music and bass is just a great fun game for fun, and destressing. That's why I started playing- that's how it will continue