Why become a member? ×

Best speaker configuration for.....

DOTF

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1333056862' post='1596905']
Rule is, if you like the sound of the one you have, but need louder, get another the same. If you don't like the one you have, replace it entirely.
[/quote]

This

Well I have nothing to compare to, so I think I will start with a 1x15 and a 4x10, however based on what you have all said another 1x15 is an option, so back to tghe start again really, its not for me its my lad who is playing and he has now started gigging, he is 15, I myself play guitar....badley....

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1333128931' post='1597915']
Mixing stuff from the same amp is bad, means more risk of damage and less consistent sound as you move about. Always avoid it.
[/quote]
Forgive me for being a bit thick here but I dont follow, mixing from the same amp, are you saying that I should stick to a another 1x15 (I alrready have a 1x15)

[quote name='DOTF' timestamp='1333129452' post='1597925']
Forgive me for being a bit thick here but I dont follow, mixing from the same amp, are you saying that I should stick to a another 1x15 (I alrready have a 1x15)
[/quote]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1333056862' post='1596905']
Rule is, if you like the sound of the one you have, but need louder, get another the same. If you don't like the one you have, replace it entirely.
[/quote]

So, do you like the sound of your 15? Mixing a 15 and a 4x10 means that you get less consistent sound (in changes depending on where you stand due to phase oddities, and even on axis can have funny notches), and you are more likely to break teh 15, because it won't be as loud as the 4x10 and thus you won't hear it farting out. So, better to ahve more speakers you o like, than one you like, and one you don't like as much.

Yes, whilst a 410 or 210 sounds good with a 115 (or rather, can sound good, it`s not a given that it will) - once you have "your sound" from them, you`ll always need them both to get it. Obtaining your sound with one speaker cab, then doubling up with exactly the same just means you`ll have more of what you like for bigger gigs, but the convenience of using only the one cab for rehearsals and the smaller gigs. The ideal for me was a 410 & 210 from the same range, always sounded great, but even that means you put more power into each speaker of the 210.

OK I am now understanding what you are all saying, but if I was to use a 1x15 and a 4x10 and providing my amp will drive them, which it will, it is not going to hurt or damage anything?
My set up so far, Peavey Firebass and a Peavey BX 1x15BW cab.........

[quote name='DOTF' timestamp='1333144507' post='1598219']
OK I am now understanding what you are all saying, but if I was to use a 1x15 and a 4x10 and providing my amp will drive them, which it will, it is not going to hurt or damage anything?
My set up so far, Peavey Firebass and a Peavey BX 1x15BW cab.........
[/quote]

You totally can damage something. Speaker make horrible noises before they are damaged, but if you have a 4x10 and a 1x15, the 4x10 will drown out the noises of the 1x15 breaking, so you won't know to turn down.