Why become a member? ×

Help with valuation of '76 Precision

machinehead

You could also ask Jim Fitzpatrick or possibly Phillomena herself - both are on Facebook and Jim is an all round decent guy. Chances are if it's genuine its a bit like a Gene Simmons one that I saw advertised a while back. Sat in a rack just in case and didnt get touched.

[quote name='jonsebass' timestamp='1333186069' post='1598448']
Being a massive Lynott fan I can safely say that ive never seen, or read, or heard about Lynott [i]playing [/i]a sunburst bass. As far as i know he played the legendary black fenders, the red one (thats pictured earlier) and a BC rich bass (although that might have only be in the video for "do anything you wanna do") and an Ibanez Roadstar (i think)

That doesnt say that he didnt own one - according to many books, his first ever bass was a Fender P Bass given to him by Brush Shiels, but nobody ever said what it was. However, the Phil Lynott Exhibition in Dublin bought out this gem..[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lauranagle/5588262767/"]http://www.flickr.co...gle/5588262767/[/url] but i doubt it would ever be for sale, and theres no history behind it - it could just have been a donated bass for the exhibition that was signed.

I guess though, that if you do the usual checks, and it seems fine - then ignore the history and offer what you think its worth, and go from there.
[/quote]

He used an Ampeg/Dan Armstrong too :)

I would disregard any possible Phil Lynott connection... at least, for the time being.

The signed letter from his mum interests me. How does this work?
My mum wouldn't have a clue what basses I use, or have used. But would probably sign a cleverly worded letter after being asked (after my untimely death :unsure: ), "Did your boy play a bass [b]like[/b] this, and would you sign a letter to this effect?"

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1333455628' post='1601884']
I would disregard any possible Phil Lynott connection... at least, for the time being.

The signed letter from his mum interests me. How does this work?
My mum wouldn't have a clue what basses I use, or have used. But would probably sign a cleverly worded letter after being asked (after my untimely death :unsure: ), "Did your boy play a bass [b]like[/b] this, and would you sign a letter to this effect?"
[/quote]

Phillomena kept most of Phils stuff - still has a lot of it at her house in Howthe - Jukebox, guitars and basses, letters from fans etc etc. It's an Aladins cave of Lizzy stuff. People often drop in and she welcomes them with open arms bless her. She's still very proud of "her boy" and is involved in the Annual "Vibe For Philo" in Dublin.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1333233417' post='1599136']
The arrival of a new baby this week has prevented me from seeing the bass. I'm hoping to get a look before easter though, perhaps early next week.

Any other advice on value, or insight into the bass is most welcome.

Thanks.

Frank.
[/quote]

Spend a bit of time with your family and worry about bass guitars later?