Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried or own an ACG J Type?

BassApprentice

Hi
Just to let anyone interested in the two 5 string J Type basses they are now ex demo and will be priced accordingly. These solid colour versions of the J Type basses will be the last stock instruments in this style I will be concentrating on the natural wood finish basses from now on so if you would like one of the solid colour versions there are 3 left in total two 5 strings and a 4 string all at a good price. Contact me for details.

Hi
It has a 20" radius. An asymmetric neck means the neck is slightly thicker on the B string side and shallower on the G string side. Think of the B string side as a D shape and the G string side as a shallow C profile. The deepest part of the neck is not in the centre of the neck it is slightly to the B string side of the centre.

Should you wish to try either out they are both currently in Aylesbury.
Alan

Edited by skelf

[quote name='MrT-Bass' timestamp='1346267663' post='1787295']
Great...thanks for the answers. The asymmetric neck sounds really interesting.
Tiernan
[/quote]

It rocks! It doesn't require any adjustment, immediately feels more comfortable than any neck you've played before.
It's not really noticeable on a 4 string however, but on 5 and 6 strings it really comes into it's own. It's much more ergonomically suited to your fretting hand too so it should help keep things like carpal tunnel syndrome and other hand related problems that bassists can get at bay.

Just my 2p :)

Eude

Thanks for the tuppence eude...I've spoken to MCRuiz and will hopefully be getting to check one of the 5ers out over the weekend.
The principal of the neck sounds great and it's good to know there isn't much adjustment needed. My only other concern is the sound the bass will make in terms of the clarity of the pickups, but it sounds like they should be pretty transparent and the rest is down to me I guess :)
Tiernan

[quote name='MrT-Bass' timestamp='1346331684' post='1787946']
Thanks for the tuppence eude...I've spoken to MCRuiz and will hopefully be getting to check one of the 5ers out over the weekend.
The principal of the neck sounds great and it's good to know there isn't much adjustment needed. My only other concern is the sound the bass will make in terms of the clarity of the pickups, but it sounds like they should be pretty transparent and the rest is down to me I guess :)
Tiernan
[/quote]

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Lots of clarity available, creates that modern J tone very easily and obviously you can dial back to get something a bit more trad if you must ;) The variety on tap with the East EQ should have something to please everyone...

Eude

[quote name='mcruiz67' timestamp='1345802690' post='1781668']
News flash:
I have an ACGuitars jazz bass at home now.
So for those wanting access to see/hear/try (without going to Scotland) come on down to Aylesbury!!
As I said in a previous post "wicked!"

The one I have is:
0103 ACG J Type 5HU
Body woods: Alder
Neck: 3 piece Acrylic Impregnated Birdseye Maple board with 24 frets.
Dual action trussrod and carbon rods.
Carved with an asymmetric profile.
Satin finish.

Hardware:
ACG FB humbuckers in a 25mm wide casing.
Hipshot Type A bridge with 18mm spacing
Gotoh GB7 plus Hipshot string tree.
Dunlop dual design straplocks.
Gotoh battery box.

Electronics:
East UK custom U-Retro pre-amp.
Volume/Blend stack.
Bass boost/treble/pull bright stack.
Mid frequency/mid cut/boost stack.

Tort scratchplate..
Gloss finish.
Hiscox hardcase.
[/quote]

so what do you think of the J type? Have you got 0098 to? If so what's it like compared to 0103?

Edited by edster

They are both great, different but some similar tones can be found as well.
The Black one (0103 J Type 5HU) is a more typical jazz bass with sounds from jaco (tight finger funk) to marcus (slap etc...) with added benifits (carved neck, lightweight......)
The White one (0098 J Type 5HP) is naturally warmer and can do the 'motown' thing easilly but still can be 'slap' ready. Its like a more versatile 'P' bass (with 'J' p/ups).

Hard to choose between them but it depends on your style. (taste too if looks are important...:-)
Good luck deciding!!

Tricky....
I was initially favouring the Black one (familiar ground) but Alan was kind enough for me to try the white one as well which was different to my other basses but well versatile too so I was in a heavy dilemma!! Unfortunately I had a change of circumstance.....so both are available.
Hopefully more guys can/will try them and all can be revealed!