Why become a member? ×

Protools GAS

charic

Any protools 10 users on here? I'm a huge protools fan and want to get back into using it so I'll be visiting DV once I have the funds together :)

Just wondering about peoples recent views on it? I've not used it since college as my uni was logic only. I distictly remember preferring Pro Tools though :)

I've just had to upgrade to PT10, and I'm absolutely loving it. The bonus with PT is that you can now use any interface (I think up to version 8 you had to use the Digidesign thingy, which limited you to 2 tracks - unless you wanted to spend 4 figures). The audio engine is brilliant quality, and that was the deciding factor in convincing me to move from Cubase (which I had been using for 20 years I might add). The workflow is really quick too, it's not really a DAW that gives you too many options to be distracted with (unless that's what you want).

One word of caution though, if you're doing predominantly MIDI based stuff then PT ain't the best for this. It'll do everything, but the GUI when sequencing with MIDI is a bit of a pain in the arse.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1332332136' post='1586699']
I've just had to upgrade to PT10, and I'm absolutely loving it. The bonus with PT is that you can now use any interface (I think up to version 8 you had to use the Digidesign thingy, which limited you to 2 tracks - unless you wanted to spend 4 figures). The audio engine is brilliant quality, and that was the deciding factor in convincing me to move from Cubase (which I had been using for 20 years I might add). The workflow is really quick too, it's not really a DAW that gives you too many options to be distracted with (unless that's what you want).

One word of caution though, if you're doing predominantly MIDI based stuff then PT ain't the best for this. It'll do everything, but the GUI when sequencing with MIDI is a bit of a pain in the arse.
[/quote]

I'd forgot about the midi PITA but I have reason for that :)

I would have thought with it using the sibelius engine now it would have been better though

iit's ok if you want to look at MIDI files as a score instead of coloured blobs. Not tried writing in the sibelius mode though, for that sort of thing I use erm, sibelius. It might be better than I think - I'll have a proper look at it tonight and get back to you.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1332342031' post='1586953']
iit's ok if you want to look at MIDI files as a score instead of coloured blobs. Not tried writing in the sibelius mode though, for that sort of thing I use erm, sibelius. It might be better than I think - I'll have a proper look at it tonight and get back to you.
[/quote]

Apparently the scoring in it is actually sibelius now. Avid own them too. I think I should get a job there someday :P

ProTools HD system on the cheap? Yes please!

If you just want a cheap version of Sibelius (which, to be honest, I find myself using more than Pro Tools) then the 'Sibelius First' is available to download for £80. Doesn't do everything that Full versions of Sibelius do (no ossias for example) but really good 'conventional' scores. I miss some of teh more advanced quirkier scoring options, but I couldn't justify the expense.

Right! Just ordered Protools 9 with an MBOX (free upgrade to 10... the joys of a 15GB download!!!)

Looks like they're about to go to a restructuring so if you're interested I'd get in now! Apparently soon they will be shipped with protools essential instead. DV are currently out of stock as are soundslive so I ended up using guitarguitar. I think they still have one more in stock.

Kudos to both DV and Soundslive though as they attempted to move heaven and earth in order to help me!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1332357323' post='1587306']
In order of everything I've tried.

Reason, audacity, protools, logic, cubase, nuendo, ableton, sonar and reaper

Nothing has matched Protools. Logic was closest but there was still a big gap
[/quote]

That'sall good - while I've used Logic a lot I'm not a devout user unwilling to hear god things about other DAWs and obvously pretty much every studio tracking session I've ever done has been done with PT - and it sounds and works beautifully - BUT I still get great results with Logic so see no need to change.

So I'm interested what makes Pro Tools simply the best ever and put so many other things in the shade? I've read quite a few PT Vs Logic articles online - just be interested to hear your opinion - I have nothing whatsoever against PT - I'd like it myself - I just can't see why I should switch over now... maybe another year.

M

A DAW is a DAW - work flow comes into play really when it comes to choice.
These days all the more well known Vendors all pretty much do the same.
Its then down to what they come with FX/Synth wise, or Video & Scoring wise,
and Nuendo for post production etc.
Audio cards are what the sound quality is all about for budget/project studios.
Of course Pro Tools HD and the Radar systems are another matter.

Been using Cubase for years and feel like trying something new [Just Gas more than likely]
Pro-Tools 10 does look interesting, but i am holding back for the moment,
Digital Performer 8 for W7 PC is out soon, and i have always liked the idea with that.[Mac only up till now]
Great Midi & Video/Scoring side to it.

Enjoy your Pro Tools, be interesting to see how you get on with it Charic.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1332451276' post='1588686']
A DAW is a DAW - work flow comes into play really when it comes to choice.
These days all the more well known Vendors all pretty much do the same.
Its then down to what they come with FX/Synth wise, or Video & Scoring wise,
and Nuendo for post production etc.
Audio cards are what the sound quality is all about for budget/project studios.
Of course Pro Tools HD and the Radar systems are another matter.

Been using Cubase for years and feel like trying something new [Just Gas more than likely]
Pro-Tools 10 does look interesting, but i am holding back for the moment,
Digital Performer 8 for W7 PC is out soon, and i have always liked the idea with that.[Mac only up till now]
Great Midi & Video/Scoring side to it.

Enjoy your Pro Tools, be interesting to see how you get on with it Charic.
[/quote]

I agree - I'm loving Ableton but am missing some of the sounds I know and love from Logic, I know you can rewire it buy that just gets complicated - I'm now starting to take more time to explore the vast array of plugins etc in Ableton - I think the good thing from my point of view is I have a pretty good idea of what I want the end result to sound like and I just happen to use Logic and Ableton.,, I'm sure I'd get just as good results with PT but this is where I'm at right now

Sorry for the delay, the kids are feeling a bit poorly this week. I'm sorry to report that using the score function in PT 10 is just as clunky as the MIDI tracks in the arrange window. Not a fan. I suppose I'm just used to Sibelius, and I can see that it could be useful, but you've really got to keep altering the snap value to input notes of differing lengths - keyboard shortcuts could help, but I'm still not convinced. For everything else it's the balls.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1332449306' post='1588656']
That'sall good - while I've used Logic a lot I'm not a devout user unwilling to hear god things about other DAWs and obvously pretty much every studio tracking session I've ever done has been done with PT - and it sounds and works beautifully - BUT I still get great results with Logic so see no need to change.

So I'm interested what makes Pro Tools simply the best ever and put so many other things in the shade? I've read quite a few PT Vs Logic articles online - just be interested to hear your opinion - I have nothing whatsoever against PT - I'd like it myself - I just can't see why I should switch over now... maybe another year.

M
[/quote]

I actually really like logic (it was my goto for about 5 years) the second most usable DAW for me.

From what I remember the biggest difference... usability. There are two screens (as opposed to logics... 9?). It HAS been a long time since I have used protools to be fair but logic was out of the question as unfortunately I do not have a mac.

The plugins in protools generally seem of better quality too and the whole process of recording and editing a band was so much quicker (I recorded, edited and bounced a full 10 track album in 8 hours)

I may well start a blog and put up an offer to mix a track for a few members to get back into it, it's been too long :lol:

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1332449306' post='1588656']

M
[/quote]

Honestly? At this point it's for the most part about preference and workflow. Probably PTs only advantages at this stage (for music in any case) are ones that are unlikely to be required outside larger commercial studios (such as massive guaranteed i/o ability with no latency foldback). It probably still has many advantages for post-production work but since I moved back to the UK I've been doing little of that so that's just speculation.

I'm still using Cubase but my approach is not as sophistiacted as some here. I just use it for sketches rahter than 'proper' recording. If I ever find it doesn't do what I want it to do, then I will have to consider and upgrade but, so far, it has been fine. I tend to only record real instrument and am not that into midi/sequencers etc as performance tools (takes too long and bores me. Sibelius is my home turf. Love it.

What a tiring weekend! All the vocals done for one song (Minimum 2 layers at any given point both perfectly in time with the other, no pops, little bit of sibilance). Also new takes on the bassline with a bass run that I am very happy with :D

Loving ProTools already, now I've just got to remember some of the basic functionality...

Anyone got any idea how I can easily cut a track in two? I've found I can highlight a small area and delete that for now but can't work out how to just split it exactly where I've got the line.

Everything else has come naturally so far! The simple things eh? :lol: