Why become a member? ×

jim dunlop strap lock

steve-bbb

have just stumbled across a pair of jim dunlop strap lock fittings which id forgotten i had!

anybdy use them and any feedback?

my concern with just looking at them is that the whole assembly appears quite long and as there will be that increased distanced fromthe body to the strap itself that you might get a bit more of a turning force acting against the whole thing and maybe tugging at the screw thread inside the wood??

ta

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1332261085' post='1585739']
have just stumbled across a pair of jim dunlop strap lock fittings which id forgotten i had!

anybdy use them and any feedback?

my concern with just looking at them is that the whole assembly appears quite long and as there will be that increased distanced fromthe body to the strap itself that you might get a bit more of a turning force acting against the whole thing and maybe tugging at the screw thread inside the wood??

ta
[/quote]

My Thoughts entirely Mr BB, thats why after trying them I took them off again, and bought some schallers
(edit syntax error)

Edited by witterth

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1332270091' post='1585908']
I much prefer them to Schallers, have never had a problem with the screw coming out and have them on most of my basses for years. I have had that strap nut frequently loosen after time on Schallers, however.
[/quote]
Me too, I've changed Schallers for Jim Dunlops, now on all mine.

@steve-bbbThey also make a recessed (in the body) version (as fitted to my Skjold) which takes the same strap fitting & the strap fits right up close to the woodwork.

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1332270665' post='1585922']
@steve-bbbThey also make a recessed (in the body) version (as fitted to my Skjold) which takes the same strap fitting & the strap fits right up close to the woodwork.
[/quote]

now that soulnds more like it

i used to have the buttonless ones that screw the strap in with a washer and the strap has a plastic buckle/cliplock sort of thing - much preferred them but cant seem to find any at he moment

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1332270665' post='1585922']....
[/quote]
Those recessed locks have some advantages, but also a few practical disadvantages:
1) It's going to take a bit of woodwork to put those recessed locks into a bass,
2) You can't use any other strap on that bass unless it's fitted with Dunlop straplocks,
3) If you sell it, it's likely to be an issue for many buyers,
4) It will slightly change the balance on the bass. For many basses that won't be a problem, but many old Warwicks have flush-mounted Dunlops, and for some of their designs neck-dive is a real concern, and I suspect the Dunlops exacerbate it. (Although it may be that if both buttons are flush-mounted then they cancel out).

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1332333921' post='1586742']
Those recessed locks have some advantages, but also a few practical disadvantages:
1) It's going to take a bit of woodwork to put those recessed locks into a bass,
2) You can't use any other strap on that bass unless it's fitted with Dunlop straplocks,
3) If you sell it, it's likely to be an issue for many buyers,
4) It will slightly change the balance on the bass. For many basses that won't be a problem, but many old Warwicks have flush-mounted Dunlops, and for some of their designs neck-dive is a real concern, and I suspect the Dunlops exacerbate it. (Although it may be that if both buttons are flush-mounted then they cancel out).
[/quote]

I use Dunlops but have shied away from the recessed ones for your reasons 1-3. I'd doubt that reason 4 is significant, as you say yourself, they'd probably balance out.

I have had absolutely no problem with Dunlops, just need a spot of WD40 now and then to stop them squeaking.

What Dunlop could do with making is some sort of adapter that would fit into a recessed fitting but end in a button so a standard strap can be fitted (patent applied for).

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1332597861' post='1590494']...What Dunlop could do with making is some sort of adapter that would fit into a recessed fitting but end in a button so a standard strap can be fitted (patent applied for).
[/quote]
Mmm, that's a pretty good idea!