Why become a member? ×

GL Tribute Premium Edition L2000 --- SOLD

2x18

Up for sale is one I told myself I would never part with!-- But I am only playing short scale now!

Its a Stunning Made in Korea Dec. 2005 Premium Model L2000 with Stunning Swamp Ash Body with Amber tint.

The neck is not as chunky as the other L2000s I tried and is a real dream to play!

Schaller Straploks and has had a recent set of D'Addario Chrome flats fitted and it comes with a hard case.

Any trial welcomed! --You wont be dissapointed!

[attachment=102662:IMG_0931.JPG][attachment=102664:IMG_0933.JPG]

[attachment=102665:IMG_0930.JPG][attachment=102663:IMG_0932.JPG]

Edited by 2x18

[quote name='2x18' timestamp='1331893660' post='1580449']
The neck is not as chunky as the other L2000s I tried
[/quote]

I was always led to believe that all Tributes came in one neck size, i.e. 12" radius and 1.75" at the nut. You wont get more chunky than that. Perhaps the neck was swopped out at some stage ?

Nice Trib.

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1331899951' post='1580594']
I was always led to believe that all Tributes came in one neck size, i.e. 12" radius and 1.75" at the nut. You wont get more chunky than that. Perhaps the neck was swopped out at some stage ?

Nice Trib.
[/quote]

I am pretty sure its all original --The neck can be 12" radius ( that refers to the fingerboard radius only ) but not as chunky depth wise as other Tribute necks, which I am sure is the case with this one!
and it is the standard 1.75" at the nut! --- Its a terrific neck on a fantastic Bass!

Will.

Edited by 2x18

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1331899951' post='1580594']I was always led to believe that all Tributes came in one neck size, i.e. 12" radius and 1.75" at the nut. You wont get more chunky than that. Perhaps the neck was swopped out at some stage ?[/quote]
Nope. The original line of "Tribute" basses, manufactured in Japan, and now branded "G&L Premium" (and not to be confused with what the OP is selling, which is a "G&L Tribute" with "Premium" finish), could/can be ordered with either of two widths/radii. The same applied to the initial production in Korea.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1331905300' post='1580714']
Nope. The original line of "Tribute" basses, manufactured in Japan, and now branded "G&L Premium" (and not to be confused with what the OP is selling, which is a "G&L Tribute" with "Premium" finish), could/can be ordered with either of two widths/radii. The same applied to the initial production in Korea.
[/quote]

I have been puzzled an curious about this. So I did some research, and asked on the G&L bass forum. The quotes below are the replies I received.

(QUOTE) "There have been Japanese-built Tributes made in Japan [i][b]for the Japanese market[/b][/i] for a long tine. They are distinct from the Korean or Indonesian instruments and may have different finishes, dimensions, etc. However, they have a set spec just like the regular Tribute line. No neck options such as we have with the US instruments" (QUOTE)

(QUOTE)"There is no "Premium" finish or option for the Tribute line. The Japanese marketers (retailers) may call them "Premium", but that's how many marketers operate (here too).

The Tributes we see here are currently from Indonesia and they all have a set spec and finishes are limited. This is one of the reasons they're less expensive. The Made In Japan Tributes are designed for that market and generally stay there, though a few do filter into other regions after being purchased in Japan. Traveling musicians and military are likely suspects here."(QUOTE).

Sorry OP. Did not intend to hijack your thread. At least this has bumped it to the top again. ;)

Edited by Coilte

QUOTE)"There is no "Premium" finish or option for the Tribute line. The Japanese marketers (retailers) may call them "Premium", but that's how many marketers operate (here too).

If you do a bit more research you will find that there was a standard model with a Basswood Body ( Usually Black ) and the ones with the better bodies were marketed as Premium models by the GL Dealers

[quote name='2x18' timestamp='1331984553' post='1581686']
QUOTE)"There is no "Premium" finish or option for the Tribute line. The Japanese marketers (retailers) may call them "Premium", but that's how many marketers operate (here too).

If you do a bit more research you will find that there was a standard model with a Basswood Body ( Usually Black ) and the ones with the better bodies were marketed as Premium models by the GL Dealers
[/quote]

Yes, I'm sure you are correct, but my main curiosity was not so much about "Premiums" as such, but to establish whether all Tribs. come with only neck specification. So, according to the powers that be at G&L they do, contrary to what noelk27 stated.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1331995462' post='1581889']Yes, I'm sure you are correct, but my main curiosity was not so much about "Premiums" as such, but to establish whether all Tribs. come with only neck specification. So, according to the powers that be at G&L they do, contrary to what noelk27 stated.[/quote]

You're wrong, as are the Americans who advised you. At the time when the OP's bass was constructed, in Korea, in '05, as part of the Tribute range, there were two distinct ranges produce under license to G&L USA, "Tribute" and "Premium". G&L Japan is the only licensee to produce the "Premium" range. The "Premium" range is not part of the "Tribute" range. Originally, basses in the "Premium" range could be specified with either of two widths/radii, but that situation has altered slightly. Your American friends really should do some more research, http://www.glguitars.jp/

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1332079064' post='1582847']
ANyway, it is a nice bass, and if someone would buy my Stingray I would have this in a heart beat.
Bump.
[/quote]

Pity its not a Sterling --I might have been up for a Part Ex!

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1332078408' post='1582836']
You're wrong, as are the Americans who advised you. At the time when the OP's bass was constructed, in Korea, in '05, as part of the Tribute range, there were two distinct ranges produce under license to G&L USA, "Tribute" and "Premium". G&L Japan is the only licensee to produce the "Premium" range. The "Premium" range is not part of the "Tribute" range. Originally, basses in the "Premium" range could be specified with either of two widths/radii, but that situation has altered slightly. Your American friends really should do some more research, [url="http://www.glguitars.jp/"]http://www.glguitars.jp/[/url]
[/quote]

Yes. I have been wrong many times before. I never professed to be 100% correct. My original words were "I was always led to believe..." if you remember. I am merely trying to get a definitive answer. Anyway I will put your point to my "American friends" (!!) and see what they say.

Edited by Coilte

Hey Will, as you all know I'm a nut for these and have one left in the this exact colour but with a maple board. I have owned about 6 in total including 2 USA one's which I hated.
The only neck difference I have noted was with a 3TS which was dearer and the neck was certainly chunkier so I sold it.

Quite fancy this as a backup twin but with rosewood......
You are a bad man Will dangling things like this. :gas:

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1332239384' post='1585179']
Hey Will, as you all know I'm a nut for these and have one left in the this exact colour but with a maple board. I have owned about 6 in total including 2 USA one's which I hated.
The only neck difference I have noted was with a 3TS which was dearer and the neck was certainly chunkier so I sold it.

Quite fancy this as a backup twin but with rosewood......
You are a bad man Will dangling things like this. :gas:
[/quote]

Hi Tom

I tried a sunburst one and a black one, and they both seemed to have chunkier necks than this Beauty!

Will.

Out of curiosity I tried a new one in a shop yestarday. I think it had a shaped rather than flat front to the body though. I tried a couple of different models and it was my favourite. Felt and sounded excellent.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1332334214' post='1586754']
Out of curiosity I tried a new one in a shop yestarday. I think it had a shaped rather than flat front to the body though. I tried a couple of different models and it was my favourite. Felt and sounded excellent.
[/quote]

The current range includes a "carved top" model, which has a carved maple top. It might be one of those you tried.

Anyway, these are cracking basses. I've owned both four and five string versions, and they are astonishlingly good value.