Why become a member? ×

Rate my current and past collection

TomRichards

Okay, this is one to test your skill with the internet, and your love for basses.

I just posted my latest pictures of my collection to my Facebook page. Since there are over 100 shots of them, its too much to put here.

Take a look at my collection, found under these two Facebook links:

[url="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3220375101065.146552.1017046005&type=3"]http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3220375101065.146552.1017046005&type=3[/url]

[url="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1378412173143.54143.1017046005&type=3"]http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1378412173143.54143.1017046005&type=3[/url]

Tell me what you think, which ones you like.

I am currently looking to thin the herd, so I'm also up for offers. I'm not saying I will sell any particular one, but I know there are some out there who might want something I currently covet.

Cheers!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1331771302' post='1578787']
Hartke made basses?
[/quote]

AFAIK they still do (or at least put their name on some Far Eastern copies). However I'm guessing (without being able to see the photos) that this is one of the XL or XK series that were based on the Vaccaro designs with an aluminium headstock and neck re-enforcement. The XL basses were hand built in New Jersey and featured high quality hardware and electronics from Sperzel, Schaller and EMG.

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1331751482' post='1578342']
Not bad but did jt not use an aria pro 2 sb 1000 not a 700?
[/quote]

Check out a few early videos, including from that series "Rock School" that your mates put out in the '80s. He has a cameo.

JT played a Set neck SB700 on the first two Duran Albums and live, switching to the SB-1000 not long after. The truth is you can't tell a lot of difference when you record with either of the SB's, as they clearly get their tone from the Aria Pro II MB-1E pickups found in both models.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1331796276' post='1578841'] AFAIK they still do (or at least put their name on some Far Eastern copies). However I'm guessing (without being able to see the photos) that this is one of the XL or XK series that were based on the Vaccaro designs with an aluminium headstock and neck re-enforcement. The XL basses were hand built in New Jersey and featured high quality hardware and electronics from Sperzel, Schaller and EMG. [/quote]

First, Larry Hartke is a long time friend, right here in NJ. As a matter of fact, I'll be visiting him in his NYC bass store on March 27th if any of you are on my side of the pond.

Hartke's first basses were the XL series, made in Asbury Park by Vaccaro Guitars. They feature the Vaccaro Aluminum neck as well as Sperzel locking tuners and EMG electronics. My bass is the US made XL. Vaccaro was owned by Henry Vaccaro, one of the original owners of Kramer when they made their aluminum necks. He and his son founded Vaccaro when Kramer was sold to Gibson. The Hartke XL-4 basses came in several colors, and Larry owns one of each. My favorite is the purple sparkle, and I think Larry has the only ones ever made in that color.

Thanks for the notice!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1331751715' post='1578347'] I like "Coco" - what is she? [/quote]

Coco is a 1967 Silvertone 1442 bass, the last bass model ever made by the Danelectro company at their Neptune, NJ plant. She is solid body, short scale, with the Danelectro lipstick tube pickups. Has a cool vibe and sound, sort of between a Danelectro and a Jazz bass.

For those of you who can't "see" the collection, you need to login to your Facebook account, then you can see them. If you don't have a Facebook account, well, then you have to sign up or ask a friend who has one to let you surf the links. Sorry. Tooooo many pictures to post here.

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1331841789' post='1579840']
First, Larry Hartke is a long time friend, right here in NJ. As a matter of fact, I'll be visiting him in his NYC bass store on March 27th if any of you are on my side of the pond.

Hartke's first basses were the XL series, made in Asbury Park by Vaccaro Guitars. They feature the Vaccaro Aluminum neck as well as Sperzel locking tuners and EMG electronics. My bass is the US made XL. Vaccaro was owned by Henry Vaccaro, one of the original owners of Kramer when they made their aluminum necks. He and his son founded Vaccaro when Kramer was sold to Gibson. The Hartke XL-4 basses came in several colors, and Larry owns one of each. My favorite is the purple sparkle, and I think Larry has the only ones ever made in that color.
[/quote]

Actually I have one too...

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC01837.jpg[/IMG]

Unfortunately it doesn't get that much use these days since I only play 5-string basses ATM. Unfortunately Hartke only made the cheaper XK series in 5-string. My plan is to find one of these and "upgrade" it to the XL spec. It would be nice to also get it refinished in the purple sparkle - do you know where the colour comes from?

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1331841510' post='1579835']
Check out a few early videos, including from that series "Rock School" that your mates put out in the '80s. He has a cameo.

JT played a Set neck SB700 on the first two Duran Albums and live, switching to the SB-1000 not long after. The truth is you can't tell a lot of difference when you record with either of the SB's, as they clearly get their tone from the Aria Pro II MB-1E pickups found in both models.
[/quote]
ahh i see, ta for info

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1331739959' post='1578078']
Okay, this is one to test your skill with the internet, and your love for basses.

I just posted my latest pictures of my collection to my Facebook page. Since there are over 100 shots of them, its too much to put here.

Take a look at my collection, found under these two Facebook links:

[url="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3220375101065.146552.1017046005&type=3"]http://www.facebook....17046005&type=3[/url]

[url="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1378412173143.54143.1017046005&type=3"]http://www.facebook....17046005&type=3[/url]

Tell me what you think, which ones you like.

I am currently looking to thin the herd, so I'm also up for offers. I'm not saying I will sell any particular one, but I know there are some out there who might want something I currently covet.

Cheers!
[/quote]

Ahhh, you have to log in Facebook!! :blink:

Bit slow on the old Facebook thing but cracked it now. ;)

Nice collection, some unusual gear.
What type of music do you play?

Out of all my stuff, I dont have any of the ones you have! B)

Note to self: Eric, you must try harder! :lol:

Cheers. :)

If you ever think about letting her come home......

Larry spent time in the Vaccaro plant having color fun. Vaccaro was known for the sparkle, and Larry asked for purple. I think at the time it was his daughter Sandi's favorite color.

I'll ask him today. I'll be up by his house and I'll stop in.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1331844415' post='1579889']

Actually I have one too...

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/DSC01837.jpg[/IMG]

Unfortunately it doesn't get that much use these days since I only play 5-string basses ATM. Unfortunately Hartke only made the cheaper XK series in 5-string. My plan is to find one of these and "upgrade" it to the XL spec. It would be nice to also get it refinished in the purple sparkle - do you know where the colour comes from?
[/quote]

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1331973859' post='1581519']

Ahhh, you have to log in Facebook!! :blink:

Bit slow on the old Facebook thing but cracked it now. ;)

Nice collection, some unusual gear.
What type of music do you play?

Out of all my stuff, I dont have any of the ones you have! B)

Alternative/punk/pop. Been doing that since '79. I have always loved the non-Fender non-Gibson thing.

Note to self: Eric, you must try harder! :lol:

Cheers. :)
[/quote]

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1331997060' post='1581910']
If you ever think about letting her come home......

Larry spent time in the Vaccaro plant having color fun. Vaccaro was known for the sparkle, and Larry asked for purple. I think at the time it was his daughter Sandi's favorite color.

I'll ask him today. I'll be up by his house and I'll stop in.
[/quote]

If you could also ask him if the only difference between the XL and XK basses was the place of assembly and the electronics/hardware. It that's the case then if I can find a good XK-5 and upgrade it to XL spec, I would probably let this one go.

You are half there. Bodies were made here in the US, everything else in the XKs was imported. XK necks used a different method for the headstock casting and also had weak brazing. Many of the XKs had snapped headstocks due to this. If you look at picks of XK models you often see the neck cap wood pulling away at the headstock joint, normally indicating there are problems brewing.

Best you could do is contact Paul Unkert here in Toms River NJ. He worked at Kramer and Vaccaro and designed wood necks in the "V" headstock shape for the line of basses he used to sell, Unk Guitars. It would be a direct replacement.

Would you like me to keep my eyes open for a quality XK-5? They do exist, just need an expert like Unk to check 'em out. The pickups in the 5 strings on the XK are the same make as the pickups used on the USA Vaccaros.