Why become a member? ×

Playing with a broken ankle

Hector

So, I've managed to break my left ankle pretty badly.

Obviously, my major concern is how this will affect my double bass playing. What are everyone's thoughts on this? I put my weight mostly through my right leg when I sit, so maybe I use a stool?

Morphine is fab.

H

Get one of these, with the optional backrest: http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_stehhilfe_14046.htm

Not cheap, but the only stool I've found yet which will allow you to play double bass while sitting down.

A word of warning though.

I broke my ankle in two places 18 months ago, ended up needing a 4" titanium plate to hold it all together, and was in plaster for over two months, so I have some depressingly recent experience of this.

You need to keep your ankle high as much as you possibly can ... certainly at or about the same level as your knee.

Sitting on that stool may allow you to play DB, but it won't be doing your recovery any good at all.

Playing electric bass, I was able to continue rehearsing and even to play three gigs with my leg in plaster. I don't think I'd have contemplated that on DB.

I'd be a little careful around this one as Jack says TBH. Don't know if your ankle is in plaster, but if it is, you seriously don't want it swelling up via activities, as this could lead to all sorts of issues.

Thing with gigging is you may not be able to rest up as and when required.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's 3 weeks since my operation today (similar procedure to Happy Jack's). Am off the painkillers completely (have been for most of the last week), I've got a stool set up in my room with my bass, and I had a quick blast on it yestereday - seems fine to me, no pain or discomfort with posture (technique rusty, sigh). I only have two gigs in the forseeable future, and that's in a month's time well after my cast is off and my ankle is bearing weight again. Will make sure to take it easy, and have asked my GP for advice. So pleased to be able to play again, even if it is just for the odd 20 mins at a time in the practise room.

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1331416700' post='1572728']
Talk to your doctor or physio and follow their advice. The consequences of making a long term mess of this are horrid.

Steve
[/quote]

This... if it is causing you pain to play so much you need painkillers, then take the hint

Cheers JT (and everyone else!) for the support/advice. Think it should be ok so long as I take breaks in between playing sessions - I am in a removable cast and keep my leg as well elevated as I can at other times. I desperately want to play the bass as much as possible, but there's nothing in the world I want more than to get better and I won't jeopardise that just for the sake of impatience to play. My technique will recover, and my musicality isn't suffering cause I'm working on electric bass as much as I can and using my ears. My ankle, however, is with me for life so I intend to take recovering seriously!