Why become a member? ×

amp power cord question

artisan

i just took delivery of my new GK MB210 from Thomann but unfortunately it's come with a Euro power lead (suprise) I have a power lead that fits & i could use but that has a 13A fuse fitted,the GK manual states a 220-240v 10A supply.
so can i safely use this lead or do i need to fit a 10A fuse (which i don't have of course)
cheers

To be quite honest, if your amp has a defect severe enough that it wants to make a 10A fuse blow, then a 13A fuse will blow just as well.

Have a play (which is the bit you wanted to hear. :D) and just remember to grab a packet of 10A fuses next time you're passing B&Q.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1331221556' post='1569737']
Inclined to agree. Or you could get an adaptor for the supplied power cord... but it means you need to go shopping sooner or later.
[/quote]

From what I can remember, I think the adaptors only come with 3A fuses fitted - so you'd still need to buy 10A fuses anyway. :)

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1331219769' post='1569688']
i just took delivery of my new GK MB210 from Thomann but unfortunately it's come with a Euro power lead (suprise) I have a power lead that fits & i could use but that has a 13A fuse fitted,the GK manual states a 220-240v 10A supply.
so can i safely use this lead or do i need to fit a 10A fuse (which i don't have of course)
cheers
[/quote]
I think the GK manual is referring to the capability of the mains supply itself, as in 'the supply you connect it to must be capable of supplying 220-240V at 10A'

Your 13A fused UK plug/lead will be fine :happy:

There's a fair bit of 'rule breaking' done with IEC leads anyway.

They only come in two ratings, 6A and 13A.

13A ones have a notch cut into the bottom (the socket has a corresponding 'lump' to prevent un-notched plugs from being inserted) and 13A rated cable fitted.
6A ones don't have a notch and have 6A cable fitted.

I'm betting that the GK, in common with most musical kit, has a 6A type socket. :)

I'm pretty sure the mb210 has a 3 amp internal fuse anyway. Been a while since I sold mine so I can't check, but there may be a fuse holder on the back. Most of the rest of the world don't have fuses in their plugs, the appliance has its own fuse. Highly likley if it was shipped with a EU plug. If this is the case you can use whatever fits as the internal fuse will blow before either a 6A or 13A lead fuse

EDIT: According to the manual on the GK site its a 10A circuit. Also they do a UK specific model. Can't see what the differences are, but yours appears to be the EU version (hence the EU plug). As OBBM says (next post), Stick a 13A lead in there, you'll be fine.

Edited by SteveO

European, or Shuko as they should be called, plugs don't have fuses in them. Fuses in the plug is UK quirk.

In the UK the fuse is only there to protect the cable from the plug to the appliance. A 13A fused IEC power cable will be just fine.