Why become a member? ×

Tubes and how often do you replace

dmccombe7

Has probably been asked before but because I'm doing this from work i can't spend a lot of time searching.

How often do you change your tubes more specifically for me with a Genz Streamliner 600.
Currently used most days for a minimum 1hr with 6 hr sessions every 2 weeks.

Should it be time based or dependant on how often used.

Are there any signs of a tube failing that i should look out for.

Any advice welcome

Dave

I haven't changed my power tubes in my SVT since 2003, used new old stock GE 6550s from Watford valves and haven't noticed any degredation in sound quality since. Which is good since they cost £50 each back then and they are now £100 and you need 6 of the buggers! Fingers crossed they last a bit longer!

Thanks guys
Its put my mind at ease.

Basically when they do start going they will show signs of tone changes, microphonics which i think I've heard via guitarist Marshall whereby when he touched the amp or moved it it gave a pinging type of sound and eventually a squealing if that makes sense ? would that be right. ?

Otherwise they just fail.
Can you replace yourself as I've heard of bias settings need set up.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1331123977' post='1567980']
Basically when they do start going they will show signs of tone changes, microphonics which i think I've heard via guitarist Marshall whereby when he touched the amp or moved it it gave a pinging type of sound and eventually a squealing if that makes sense ? would that be right. ?
[/quote]

Yep, that's the classic symptoms you describe.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1331123977' post='1567980']
Can you replace yourself as I've heard of bias settings need set up.
[/quote]

Bias only applies to power stage valves. Preamp valves are just a case of swapping in and out. Simples.

Cheers Dave,

One other thing to note if changing the valves in your Streamliner, Genz Benz 'design out' most of the valve characteristics from their pre-amp designs to avoid people suffering from variable quality of valves. So whilst changing faulty/worn valves may help, If you are going to buy a set of expensive NOS Mullards or something to improve the sound of your amp I doubt you will notice much (if any) benefit...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1331118905' post='1567827']
Preamp valves totally do wear out, but not in a regular amount of time. Some just die, others keep going forever, some just start sounding rubbish.
[/quote]

Indeed. I just worked out that the pre-amp tubes have been in my Marshall since it left the factory.

39 years ago.