Why become a member? ×

How to adjust action on an accoustic bass

Bassmonkey

Hi - I recently bought an accoustic bass and was fine when I picked it up. Have used it a few times now and its lovely however, it has suddenly developed a fret buzz at about the 3rd fret on both the A and E strings.

There's no truss rod visible. I've tried packing the nut and the bridge to raise the string level but it's still there. The neck looks straight but I wonder if it's warped being in a new environment? any suggestions on how best to remedy?

Wasn't new so I cant take it back to a shop.

Advice needed and appreciated

Andy

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1331052084' post='1566900']
Are you sure there isn't a truss rod? Try looking in the soundhole at the heel of the neck?
[/quote]

Exactly. Its very unlikely that it hasnt got one since its under the same tension as any regular electric bass. However if there really isnt that may be the cause of your problem!!

A

Chances of there not being a trussrod are very small.
It'll probably be disguised - they often just look like a hole in a piece of wooden bracing at the neck end of the soundhole.

However, if you're sure that the neck is reasonably straight and you're only getting fret buzz on the upper part of the neck, it would perhaps indicate that the neck has somehow managed to get a 'twist' to it instead of the usual 'bow'.