Why become a member? ×

Attention Waynepunkdude

Grand Wazoo

[b][sub]This post contain nuts.[/sub][/b]

Wayne the basses are all back, the house is (97.56%) completed, I've sent you a pm with an invite, as you said you wanted to come and try them and now is your chance. Pm me back if you are still interested or if you have changed your mind, either way it's fine by me. Cheers

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1330990319' post='1566098']
And now Fran has to teach me the dark art of.........slapping :-0
[/quote]

What little I know of it. But here is your first step towards it and it involves the "M" word M for Metronome! (there's loads of metronome apps for iphone devices)

Set it to 90bpm and slap / mute (rest your palm on the bridge and rock the hand so that the motion of your thumb is dropping on to the string but the palm will mute it from ringing) the open A at every click for a good 2 minutes until it flows out of your wrist naturally. Then start introducing 1 pull by going T / T / T / P. P= Pull mute the fretted A on the G string 2nd fret. Again repeat for 2 min. Once you've got that down, stat jazzing it up, alternate the T & P randomly. i.e T / T / P / P or P / T / T / P repeating the same pattern over the metronome beat until you feel a good groove. This "groove" concept needs to be learnt and the best thing to do is after you get it nice and flowy on the Metronome, start trying it with a drum beat from say... garage band on your ipad.Once you master the groove we can introduce small blues scale passages into the slap notes that will make it more interesting and will allow you to apply it to most songs.

Nice wall of bass you there. Personally I'd have gone with f 5.6 1/30 at ISO 200 though. :) can I just ask though, you say "(rest your palm on the bridge and rock the hand." you definitely mean [b]on the bridge[/b] ?

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1331001835' post='1566196']
Nice wall of bass you there. Personally I'd have gone with f 5.6 1/30 at ISO 200 though. :) can I just ask though, you say "(rest your palm on the bridge and rock the hand." you definitely mean [b]on the bridge[/b] ?
[/quote]

As a matter of fact I meant it yes only for the purpose of getting the groove that's why I said slap/mute. Of course the same can be achieved by "ghosting" the open A with the fretting hand and slapping your thumb by the edge of the fretboard or indeed muting with the palm near the end of the fretboard, but the string is too bouncy and soft at that point when you slap and mute, I find (and this is personal perhaps) that by the bridge the string it is tighter and the slap bounces off much clearer when muting.

Cheers for the tips Fran, ill practice every night until im good enough to annoy everyone at next years Bass show :-)

EDIT: Regarding the photo's, no nee dot use a slow shutter speed with flash, dont worry what the meter is telling you before you take the shot, the Flash will provide enough light to correct the exposure most of the time (i assume you were in Manual mode).

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1331011556' post='1566208']

I think I'll go and clean out the fish pond.
As a matter of fact I meant it yes only for the purpose of getting the groove that's why I said slap/mute. Of course the same can be achieved by "ghosting" the open A with the fretting hand and slapping your thumb by the edge of the fretboard or indeed muting with the palm near the end of the fretboard, but the string is too bouncy and soft at that point when you slap and mute, I find (and this is personal perhaps) that by the bridge the string it is tighter and the slap bounces off much clearer when muting.
[/quote]

I'm sorry. I'm sure what you are describing there is obvious to everyone else on this Forum but me, but I don't have an earthly clue what your on about there. Not that it would matter. Gabriel himself could show me how to slap/pop on his heavenly harp and i [i]still [/i]wouldn't get it. (much to my annoyance, as I'm sure any oaf can do it really ) (I just don't get that ) Slap & pop groove thang I feel like the entire world is in on some joke I dont get. Its f***ing annoying sometimes! .... .sigh :(

I think that I'll go and clean out the fish pond.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1331042862' post='1566726']
I'm sorry. I'm sure what you are describing there is obvious to everyone else on this Forum but me, but I don't have an earthly clue what your on about there. Not that it would matter. Gabriel himself could show me how to slap/pop on his heavenly harp and i [i]still [/i]wouldn't get it. (much to my annoyance, as I'm sure any oaf can do it really ) (I just don't get that ) Slap & pop groove thang I feel like the entire world is in on some joke I dont get. Its f***ing annoying sometimes! .... .sigh :(

I think that I'll go and clean out the fish pond.
[/quote]

try this if it's any help, if not then I am sorry to have confused you even more.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYkLG0KoUfM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYkLG0KoUfM[/url]

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1331047960' post='1566823']
I hope i had a door stoper put in there to keep it from opening too much GW!

Nice colection, congrats!
[/quote]

The door doesn't open all the way or enough to hit the basses, there is a stop in place at the bottom.