Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG 810 Deep, nay or yay?

Alex Spencer

I got mine on eBay for £450 a few years ago, have seen them go here on Basschat for a similar price too - just had a quick look and there's one on eBay now starting at £500 with no bids yet and a couple of days to run.

I don't think I've ever seen a second hand one listed above £550 so fingers crossed one will pop up sooner or later - a wanted post on here might help you out if that is what you're after!

[quote name='Alex Spencer' timestamp='1330865391' post='1563921']
Thanks, its good to get feedback from someone who actually owns and uses Ashdown! What could you add to the comment about them being really heavy?

[/quote]

they're 65kg. I'm a big guy and can lift heavy stuff but the sheer weight combined with the size and shape means that realistically you're looking at a two man lift to move it without doing yourself an injury.

I used my two 4x10"s with a band that were seriously loud. 3 guitarists all playing at guitaristy like volume levels and it coped easily with the volume, in fact I could've gone louder. I couldn't believe how loud it was

[quote name='Alex Spencer' timestamp='1330814712' post='1563463']
I've currently got a Warwick WCA 210 Pro which is doing me just fine at the moment, although I'm looking to make the (ridiculously large) leap to a 810. I'm sure many people would agree that going out and splashing a grand on an Ampeg would be lovely, but also financially crippling. So here begins the search for the perfect compromise.

I've been looking at the budget models mostly and the Ashdown MAG 810 being the one that seems to have the best options about it. For around £330 it seem like a bit of a steal, but it's therefore got me thinking "what's wrong with it?". So I was wondering if anyone has had any experience or has any advice? I'd be selling off my Warwick and using that money as a basis and then saving on top of that, so as you can see money is tight. Advice?

Thanks in advance!
[/quote] Some years ago , I had a Ashdown MAG 1x15 . Completely useless. A harsh , wizzy , ugly , bad etc. tone came out of the speaker , so I switched to a Ashdown ABM 1x15 instead. Lovely fat tone. So what I'm trying to say is : At least sometimes , you've get what you pay for . Good Luck mate !

I used one with an ABM500 for loads of gigs without any trouble. They are heavy but with the wheels they're not too bad to move(unless there's stairs involved of course). Mine used to live at our rehearsal room so whenever i picked it up for gigs the whole band was there if i needed help. On the few occasions i travelled to gigs by myself i loaded it in/out of an Astra van or Ford Focus hatchback on my own no problem. With the Astra i used to just lay it down so the back was resting on the back of the van load area then pick the other end up and walk it in. They sound fine, nothing spectacular but decent for the money. One thing i will mention though, not sure if the MAG and ABM use the same castors but the ones on mine are sh**te!

The Ashdown is probably the best -sounding budget 8x10 cabinet, but it is not plywood like the ABM Ashdowns. The new Warwick 4x10 got a good review in Bass Player magazine and it is extra deep. You can get smaller cabinets up stairs alone.

another cheap 8x10 to note is the Behringer one. I have used one on a few occasions whilst recording and its dead good for the price! couldnt fault it. theyd do weigh a metric f**kton though but go for around £150 / £200 second hand i think.

But yeah personally i would go 6x10, and probably that warwick one n all. I toured for a long time with a Trace 8x10 and as stonking loud and rock n roll it was, it totally buggered my back and after a while i just got titsed off with it and got rid. a 6x10 is a good compromise over a longer period of time.

But everyone should own an 8x10 at some point :)