Why become a member? ×

Glenn Hughes Bass amp with D.P.

dmccombe7

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1330366458' post='1556329']
California Jam was Hiwatt 200 heads through Martin bins. He played a Ricky for a while then went back to Fenders.

[attachment=101166:deep-purple-1.jpg]
[/quote]

This, bang on. I always used to assume it was Marshalls but it wasn't. Made In Europe is just an [i]awesome[/i] bass sound.

My good friend and band mate Matt toured with Glenn for a couple of years just before he started doing the thing with Bonnaammaassaaa and he rolled up with his fave Ampeg rig. A valve head, possibly CL and IIRC a 4x10 and 1x15 for most gigs. Matt. Can confirm that the onstage volume, even behind the kit was loud! GH likes his rig to sing, that's for sure. His red P bass is a Nash that i know he loves to bits. Glenn accompanied Chad Smith on a drum clinic up these here parts (yes, that's the drunken pictures of Chad and i on my FB!) - surprisingly, he turned up with a MarkBass LM2 to try out and the huge 610HF underneath. It sounded good, but we both agreed it was a little 'nice' sounding at the after show errrmmm drinking session. Glenn returned to his Ampeg rig afterward. he's been seen with a Laney valve head recently, but I've no idea if he's a full time endorsee? I have a hunch he is, but i didnt look before i started typing! Never a good idea! Ha ha!

Kinda thought he would be an Ampeg man.
I guess I'm gonna have to look at some new gear.

Has anyone tried an Ampeg SVT 3 PRO through Berg AE1x12 or 2x12 cabs. ?

My GB streamliner sounds pretty good i must admit but it seems to lack a little growl which most people reckon the Ampeg has.
That being the case is it down to the Amp, cabs or just the comination of both.
Any suggestions would help.

Dave

If all you need is a bit of growl, maybe look at a pedal to augment your set up. I've just played with a DarkGlass B3K that does an awesome job of adding anything from a little bite to all out Ggrrrrrrr distortion from one small box. Also check out the Catalinbread SFT or indeed if it's an Ampeg grunt, the Tech 21 VT Bass pedal will reward you with those tones. You'd still have the GB tones to return to, as well as not having to outlay tons of cash on new amps etc.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1330429805' post='1557233']
If all you need is a bit of growl, maybe look at a pedal to augment your set up. I've just played with a DarkGlass B3K that does an awesome job of adding anything from a little bite to all out Ggrrrrrrr distortion from one small box. Also check out the Catalinbread SFT or indeed if it's an Ampeg grunt, the Tech 21 VT Bass pedal will reward you with those tones. You'd still have the GB tones to return to, as well as not having to outlay tons of cash on new amps etc.
[/quote]

Tech 21VT is maybe worth considering. I've read a few threads on BC that rave about them.
As you say it gives me the best of both worlds.

I've used my Roland but it doesn't quite give same effect although its probably only myself who notices any change in tone during set.

I'll check that out.
Thanks
Dave

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1330369879' post='1556397']
My good friend and band mate Matt toured with Glenn for a couple of years just before he started doing the thing with Bonnaammaassaaa and he rolled up with his fave Ampeg rig. A valve head, possibly CL and IIRC a 4x10 and 1x15 for most gigs. Matt. Can confirm that the onstage volume, even behind the kit was loud! GH likes his rig to sing, that's for sure. His red P bass is a Nash that i know he loves to bits. Glenn accompanied Chad Smith on a drum clinic up these here parts (yes, that's the drunken pictures of Chad and i on my FB!) - surprisingly, he turned up with a MarkBass LM2 to try out and the huge 610HF underneath. It sounded good, but we both agreed it was a little 'nice' sounding at the after show errrmmm drinking session. Glenn returned to his Ampeg rig afterward. he's been seen with a Laney valve head recently, but I've no idea if he's a full time endorsee? I have a hunch he is, but i didnt look before i started typing! Never a good idea! Ha ha!
[/quote]

When Matt played with Glenn, Glenn was using a Yamaha bass, not the Nash, that came later when he was with Bonamassa and Black Country Communion. Nowdays Glenn endorses Laney.

Bassist with Transatlantic Pete Trewavas was also using Laney rigs on the Live DVD.
Are they any good ?
I recognise the name but don't know much more about them.
They always seemed to be more into lower powered gear IMO and at the cheaper end of the market.
I know that's a bit of snobbery but its only an opinion.

Dave

Cheers John! I should have been a bit clearer in my reply as I meant to say about the Yammies, though I think GH did pull the Nash out for gigs with Matt. I might be wrong, but i think Matt has shown me stage pics with him and the Nash in.. Duzznae matey in the grand scheme of things, lol, but yep, he definitely played the Yamaha basses with Matt.

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1330433625' post='1557326']
When Matt played with Glenn, Glenn was using a Yamaha bass, not the Nash, that came later when he was with Bonamassa and Black Country Communion. Nowdays Glenn endorses Laney.
[/quote]

Think I've seen Glenn doing a solo show using the Nash but it was probably around the time of BCC or just before, is it a reddish colour and quite road worn? He also used Vigiers for a while, think it was late 90's, early 2000's?

I've never known anyone to switch endorsements so readily. I remember reading an interview with Glenn a few years back when he said he couldn't play 4 strings anymore as he needed that low B. He was playing a Vigier at the time. Then he switched to a Jazz bass and said it was the only bass that felt right to him. Then came the Manne Glenn Hughes signature bass. Then the Yamahas. Now the Nash Precision copies.

My money's on Hofner next.