Why become a member? ×

getting your band a gig

RockfordStone

so heres the story, my band are currently trying to book gigs for the coming year.

im the one whos in charge of this, and so far ive tried calling in favours from friends i know and emailing promoters/venues about possible gigs.

how do you guys get gigs, do you know any useful online resources that offer out promoter/venue details.

also, ive not seen it, maybe i missed it, is there room on this forum for maybe a thread of good promoters and venues that people have experienced to give people like me a decent place to start?

We call it gunting. A contraction of Gig Hunting and it's about as pleasant as it sounds.

Go direct to venues as much as possible and book small ones to pack out rather than halls that look half empty with the same number in. Promoters will be chasing profit so need to you to prove you bring in a crowd. I do organise a few gigs a year and I've just booked one band just because they've got 3000+ views of a song on youtube (big news round our way) and are regularly in conversation with those leaving comments, it's reassuring.

Don't book too many gigs and if you do get some go all out on treating your crowd that you've diligently assembled to a new experience each time, pull that off and promotors will come looking for you. My old band got blacklisted by many a London venue for impressing the promoter with a good recording then not bringing the punters through the door. We were interested in music but forgot promoters are in the music business.

It depends on what you're doing mate, if you're equipped to do pub gigs (with a long enough set to boot) then I can give you a HUUUUUGE list of venues and contact details.

[b]Also[/b]

I'm currently looking for bands for the EA Bass Bash, charity event and whatnot but I'm trying to use as many BC bands as possible.

Let me know if you're interested :D

Luckily in Nottingham there is a great place. [url="http://www.themazerocks.com/"]http://www.themazerocks.com/[/url]
They do a night every month or so where local bands get the chance to gig without the need for an EP. I've seen some absolute crap on these nights and some absolute gems [url="http://www.facebook.com/stephen.t.horan#!/valleyofpoets?sk=app_178091127385"] 'Valley of Poets'[/url] .My band have done is so much we eventually got the attention of a promoter who has hooked us up a few times with decent gigs. The last one we did for them, we brought so many people they gave us a support slot for a 'big' band doing a tour.
It's really hard to get good gigs without an EP of somekind, we put it off because we are perfectionists and the EP we have doesn't do us justice. That coupled with the fact we arn't some indie scum bags.

If you can get the poeple in the door to see you even in the smallest of places, people will notice, but you have to do (ALOT) of ground work. We do every gig we can get.

An EP will help though, sending it everywhere.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1329774384' post='1547246']
I'm interested! I'm really really struggling too! And have a pa and huge set list ;)
It's doing my head in trying to get bookings!
[/quote]

PM'd mate :), I've got to decipher my old notes of venues now. I suppose now would be a good time to digitise it!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329774078' post='1547241']
It depends on what you're doing mate, if you're equipped to do pub gigs (with a long enough set to boot) then I can give you a HUUUUUGE list of venues and contact details.

[b]Also[/b]

I'm currently looking for bands for the EA Bass Bash, charity event and whatnot but I'm trying to use as many BC bands as possible.

Let me know if you're interested :D
[/quote]

One of my bands may be interested in this - and we`ve got [u]two[/u] bassists!