Why become a member? ×

Quickest time from last note to driving home....

Bilbo

Yep, I'd feel I was letting the other band members down by not helping clear the PA and other communal gear. I guess that's the life you have if you don't make it and don't have a squadron of roadies at your disposal...

Edited by KevB

Probably about two minutes, playing for a Christmas show a few years ago. I was DI'd into the board, the only kit I had brought myself was my bass and a gig bag. After the show was finished I just uplugged my bass, zipped it into my bag and got into my car and drove home. Luckily, the band accompanied the main show, and played songs at various points through the show. It wasn't a bad gig, as once we'd played our last song we could exit stage left and that was it.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1329820976' post='1547746']
To be fair I usually stay to heckle the other bands.
[/quote]

Haha! :lol:

We have a van and a system, which means no one gets to leave early 'cos we're all travelling back together anyway. And we've got a ton of gear to shift. Huge cable trunk, big mixing box, big RCF P.A., guitar amps, bass amp, kit, hardware, keyboards... you get the idea. Rare if we manage to get away within the hour at covers gigs.

When its our own stuff, the get out is usually dead easy because of provided backline/P.A etc. which cuts down get out time dramatically.

For ages I was the only one in one of my bands with a car so had to wait for everyone else before leaving. I try and stick around for the other bands now if we're not headlining now but I used to be awful, pack up and get off home as soon as we'd finished. I'd even wander off and sleep backstage during other bands sets. In my defense, I was working 9-5 and most Saturday mornings and in 3 active bands so had one free evening a week and a few hours Saturday and Sunday to relax so didn't feel bad about shamelessly using any free time.

Edited by GarethFlatlands

Interesting topic. I think my best is about 10 minutes after the venue decided it had to close straight after we finished playing.

With respect to Endorka's point:
If I'm playing early in the evening then I'll do everything I can to stay and watch the other bands. If I'm playing later then I'll be there in the audience for any other artists. Naive maybe but I've heard some great bands and met some wonderful people that way.

Edited by rOB