Why become a member? ×

Hi from the Middle Of Nowhere!

Leonard Smalls

Not sure if I've introduced myself before, but here goes:
I've been playing since about 1983, in various bands from punk to funk to rock to jazz. As far as I'm concerned - if it grooves heavily I'm in!
I'm in shropshire, and currently in a funkrock band whose members are spread as far afield as France, Leeds and Shropshire so we don't rehearse very much at all. And the other band is a free jazz improv thingy, where we improvise in a free jazz sort of way :)
Basses are a Wall Custom 2, Sandberg Basic and emergency fallback Kawai Sleekline, playing through Rocktron Utopia and Qtron, via Yamaha FX770 FX into Marshall Jubilee amp and PD cab.
And I'm an electrician when not playing bass or riding bikes (mountain and '74 Guzzi!)

Only gigged once in France - took 2.5 weeks over it, ferried to Spain, gig near Montpelier then bimbling around France with no room in the car boot for anything but bass gear!
Bass heroes, btw, are Bootsy, Norman Watt-Roy and Larry Graham... And no, I'm not really a slap bass player.

Have you seen that Norman is selling his bass on eBay at present?

Here:
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORMAN-WATT-ROYS-1962-PRE-CBS-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-THE-BLOCKHEAD-SHORELINE-GOLD-/180819389316?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a19aceb84#ht_1114wt_689"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORMAN-WATT-ROYS-1962-PRE-CBS-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-THE-BLOCKHEAD-SHORELINE-GOLD-/180819389316?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a19aceb84#ht_1114wt_689[/url]

Edited by Blademan_98

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1329667295' post='1545538']
Not sure if I've introduced myself before, but here goes:
I've been playing since about 1983, in various bands from punk to funk to rock to jazz. As far as I'm concerned - if it grooves heavily I'm in!
I'm in shropshire, and currently in a funkrock band whose members are spread as far afield as France, Leeds and Shropshire so we don't rehearse very much at all. And the other band is a free jazz improv thingy, where we improvise in a free jazz sort of way :)
Basses are a Wall Custom 2, Sandberg Basic and emergency fallback Kawai Sleekline, playing through Rocktron Utopia and Qtron, via Yamaha FX770 FX into Marshall Jubilee amp and PD cab.
And I'm an electrician when not playing bass or riding bikes (mountain and '74 Guzzi!)
[/quote]

you don't see many of those Kawai Sleeklines about, what's it like?

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1334906146' post='1623139']
It's currently hanging on the wall - only picture where you can just about see it is this!

[/quote]
wow. that was a sight for sore eyes over breakfast!
How does it sound/play too :D

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1334908346' post='1623182']
wow. that was a sight for sore eyes over breakfast!
How does it sound/play too :D
[/quote]

It's nowhere near as good as my Wal, sandberg or Parker, despite the EMGs. Which is why it's hanging on the wall.
And we were well known for our collective handsomeness back then - probably about 1989!

• 5 weeks later...

Aha, Shropshire middle of nowhere. I know it well :) Welcome.

(I only once road a 1970s Moto Guzzi,850 and the brakes failed, just as I was coming up to a roundabout. I ended up riding straight over the grass in the middle!)

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1337518766' post='1661198']
Aha, Shropshire middle of nowhere. I know it well :) Welcome.

(I only once road a 1970s Moto Guzzi,850 and the brakes failed, just as I was coming up to a roundabout. I ended up riding straight over the grass in the middle!)
[/quote]

Never had the brakes fail, though the throttle stuck open once on the A1... Got it up to around 120mph before realising switching the engine off would stop it!
Good noise though...