Why become a member? ×

Driving home from the gig.

arthurhenry

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='whynot' timestamp='1329345482' post='1541199']
I enjoy the drive home from London gigs. Through the centre, some dodgy shortcuts and back into Bromley. Nice way to wind down I find.
[/quote]

I'm in Bromley too. We probably pass each other in the same dodgy shortcuts!

I drop the guitarist, his gear and the PA at his house first. We then have tea and cheese on toast. After that a half-hour drive home with the Beeb World Service on the radio. The tricky bit is getting my gear into the house without waking up wife and/or kids.

Living the rock'n'roll dream...

Edited by Graham56

Has to be Radio 4, or if its early enough maybe Classic or Gold or whatever 1152 AM is. But quiet.

I enjoy the drive, but sleep when I get home - no chance. Have to watch TV or something to wind down even if its been a long drive.

On the way to the gig, Desmond Carrington if hes on. Does that make we wierd ? I think it reminds me of uncle Mac on the Light Program when I were a likkle lad dreaming of playing in bands.

Edited by BRANCINI

I really don't enjoy the drive home,especially if it involves a long stretch of unlit motorway. I'll
usually get a bottle of water and/or a Mars drink and put some tunes on to help keep me
awake.If it's a long drive,I'll usually stop at a services for 5 mins just to walk around for a bit.
Once I get home,it's normally straight to bed-bear in mind that we're normally talking about 2-3am.If it's
earlier,I'll sit up for an hour. I rarely eat when I get back.

I love the drive home too.
Depending on my mood, It'll be some Patricia Spero maybe, or some nice jazz. Listened to Kind Of Blue twice through on the way home from my last gig. Maybe some Mogwai, Sigur Ros or EITS. I like instrumental music at night.
I love stopping and getting a coffee and sitting outside those giant motorway service stations watching passing traffic with a cigarette. Calming, isnt it? And there's no-one there to tell you what to do and you know no-one's gonna call your phone and you've probably not got to get up early the next day.
There's no feeling quite like it!

It's one of the things I try to explain to my fiancee when I try to describe the reasons behind spending money on gear, rehearsal rooms and driving for hours to play to 3 people. The drive home!

Truckstop

Truckstop

[quote name='cd_david' timestamp='1329339826' post='1541029']
I like listening to the shipping forecast and sailing by, very relaxing
[/quote]

This......

I often put Radio 4 on... I have no idea about the political situation in the Congo or the true meaning of quantative easing but sometimes just the sound of people talking can be the ideal way to unwind.

Sh*t, I'm old!! When did THAT happen?

After loading my car at a recent gig i rolled a cigarette whilst sitting in the drivers seat to have a smoke on the way home. There was a tap at the window and a young scantily clad blonde girl opened the door and jumped in.

She smiled at me, got out a wad of cash and asked "Do you have the gear?". It transpires that a local cocaine dealer has the same car as me. She obviously hadn't met him before and was still convinced i was him. This was until he pulls up behind me and parks. She reaslises her mistake, kisses me on the cheek, says sorry and hops out of my car into that of the dealer.

On the drive home after that i thought of loads of witty remarks that i could have made.